rileyallan

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
I currently use an MSI GTX 960 which uses DVI to run at 144hz. But the RX 5700XT has 3 display ports and 1 HDMI port. The HDMI on my BenQ monitor won't support 144hz. Do I have any solutions like an adapter to run at 144hz or is a new monitor my only solution? Looking to run at 1080p.

rileyallan

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
I currently use an MSI GTX 960 which uses DVI to run at 144hz. But the RX 5700XT has 3 display ports and 1 HDMI port. The HDMI on my BenQ monitor won't support 144hz. Do I have any solutions like an adapter to run at 144hz or is a new monitor my only solution? Looking to run at 1080p.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
See section 0 regarding your monitor

Probably better off buying a new monitor since active DP to DVI adapters can be expensive.

rileyallan

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
See section 0 regarding your monitor

Probably better off buying a new monitor since active DP to DVI adapters can be expensive.
Would an adapter like this be worth the money or would you still suggest a new monitor?

amaozon link - https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-DisplayPort-DVI-Adapter-1920x1200-Black/dp/B004SUO1GM

rileyallan

Honorable
Oct 1, 2015
No, it needs to be a dual-link active adapter.
I asked elsewhere and someone gave me this reply:

"Do some more research on this, but I think that a passive DisplayPort to DVI adapter/cable will work as the monitor will request DVI from the GPU and the GPU will just output DVI through the DisplayPort socket.

Had a look myself: Per wikipedia dual-mode DisplayPort (allowing DVI output) is mandatory since version 1.3and 5700 XT supports version 1.4. Therefore a passive adapter or cable should work."

Is this correct or should I put the issue to bed and buy a 2060 super card with a DVI port?

I asked elsewhere and someone gave me this reply:

"Do some more research on this, but I think that a passive DisplayPort to DVI adapter/cable will work as the monitor will request DVI from the GPU and the GPU will just output DVI through the DisplayPort socket.

Had a look myself: Per wikipedia dual-mode DisplayPort (allowing DVI output) is mandatory since version 1.3and 5700 XT supports version 1.4. Therefore a passive adapter or cable should work."

Is this correct or should I put the issue to bed and buy a 2060 super card with a DVI port?
Also from the WP page: :)
Dual-mode limitations
[...]
  • Single-link DVI only – Since DisplayPort dual-mode operates by using the pins of the DisplayPort connector to send DVI/HDMI signals, the 20-pin DisplayPort connector can only produce a single-link DVI signal (which uses 19 pins). A dual-link DVI signal uses 25 pins, and is therefore impossible to transmit natively from a DisplayPort connector through a passive adapter. Dual-link DVI signals can only be produced by converting from native DisplayPort output signals with an active conversion device.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Dual-mode_limitations