Feb 27, 2019
(just FYI I'm in Aus)

Hey all,
Haven't been on here in a while.
My current gpu is a Gigabyte RX480 8gb G1 Gaming.
It is crashing a lot in games like Asassins Creed and Just Cause 3, as well as Borderlands.
I need to upgrade it as its getting on my nerves having a card that keeps crashing, and has been doing so for a while.
I have a slight OC on both the memory and frequency, however both removing this OC and underclocking seems to have no effect on when the games will crash.
Temps are fine, and I have the fans set to quite a high RPM when gaming. Usually doesn't get above 65 degrees.

My question is this:
I have an opportunity to buy a Sapphire RX580 Nitro + for $200 AUD.
It has been mined on for a year by a mining farm in China.
I contacted the re-seller and he didn't know the conditions of the mining, but i'd expect they would have been undervolted to increase life.
The card has been loaded back to the original bios, and I will be getting stress test results from furmark tonight.

Basically I need a new GPU and want to save as much money as possible as I'm also planning an upgrade to Ryzen 3rd gen when it comes out.

Is it worth it?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
How have you confirmed that your RX 480 is the cause of your crashes?

Does the site you're buying it through have any buyer protection/return policy (like eBay does)? If not, do you have any way of verifying the card is 100% functional before you buy it, short of taking the seller's word for it?

Feb 27, 2019
How have you confirmed that your RX 480 is the cause of your crashes?

Does the site you're buying it through have any buyer protection/return policy (like eBay does)? If not, do you have any way of verifying the card is 100% functional before you buy it, short of taking the seller's word for it?

Lets start with what's happened.
I had a spare PC with the i5-3570k + the Gigabyte Sniper 3 mobo, which is my old PC.
The GPU was crashing.

Switched everything over to my other PC, which is the one I'm currently using.
i5-4460 and an ASUS H81M-PLUS mobo.
Still crashing.

Drivers are all up to date. Power supply is less than a year old and good quality.
It's very unlikely that the RAM is the source of the problem.

I would be buying from a PC buy/sell marketplace on eBay from a guy who's been involved in it for quite some time and has many listings up for sale.
He did a furmark test and the card got about 75 degrees.

The cards new are $100 more. I kinda want to go with this because I'm saving up to get the new gen of Ryzen and want to save as much money as possible.
https://www.umart.com.au/Sapphire-Radeon-RX-580-8G-NITRO+-OC-Gaming-Graphics-Card_38901G.html

Thats the card I'm looking at getting. I want to do some overclocks to try and get as much performance out of it as possible.
Do you know how good the cooler is on it, because my current one is shit.

So, to summarise:
I'm sure it's the fault of my GPU, not any other components.
I can buy a used GPU that has been mined on for 1 year for $200 or a new one for $300.
I am buying through a facebook marketplace which has no buyer protection, however the seller is fairly reputable.

Cheers

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Lets start with what's happened.
I had a spare PC with the i5-3570k + the Gigabyte Sniper 3 mobo, which is my old PC.
The GPU was crashing.

Switched everything over to my other PC, which is the one I'm currently using.
i5-4460 and an ASUS H81M-PLUS mobo.
Still crashing.

Drivers are all up to date. Power supply is less than a year old and good quality.
It's very unlikely that the RAM is the source of the problem.
Did you do a clean install of Windows when you swapped CPU/mobo? Have you tried running memtest, or any other memory diagnostic? What exact make/model of PSU do you have?

If you've looked up the seller and think they're trustworthy, then I guess that's your call. In general I don't really have a problem with mining cards, assuming you trust the seller to provide a card that's fully functional and with the original BIOS. I will say that the Nitro+ is a great model of 580 (have one myself).