bryangraph

Honorable
May 12, 2015
Hi guys, i´m planning to upgrade to the new Ryzen 5 3600, looks like a great CPU for gaming (and that's what i do with my PC), but i don't know if is a good idea. i have these components:

AsRock Z97x Killer
Intel Core i7 4790K with 4.5Ghz OC at 1.18v
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB 2400Mhz
MSI GTX 1070 Ti
Dell D2719HGF 144Hz monitor

Worth the upgrade?

Last edited:
Solution
no point in upgrading, right now the latest CPU's are meh. 9th sucks cause its just the refresh of the refresh, and 10th gen will suck as well cause it will be yet another refresh of the refresh of the refresh with 14nm+++ bullshit...

until intel (that assuming u wanna keep with intel) finally fkin comes up with the 10nm and some real architecture improvements, dont bother, 4790k will simply run ANY gpus out there, and will run any games at amazing FPS's, right now just bother about gpu.

Plus, they already heading towards yet another new socket LGA1159 or something.... fml..... so just to begin with, whatever you get now will be obsolete next year, and often a new socket lasts for 2 gens, just wait for at very least 10th gen if you...
no point in upgrading, right now the latest CPU's are meh. 9th sucks cause its just the refresh of the refresh, and 10th gen will suck as well cause it will be yet another refresh of the refresh of the refresh with 14nm+++ bullshit...

until intel (that assuming u wanna keep with intel) finally fkin comes up with the 10nm and some real architecture improvements, dont bother, 4790k will simply run ANY gpus out there, and will run any games at amazing FPS's, right now just bother about gpu.

Plus, they already heading towards yet another new socket LGA1159 or something.... fml..... so just to begin with, whatever you get now will be obsolete next year, and often a new socket lasts for 2 gens, just wait for at very least 10th gen if you must...

Solution
I7 4790k can still kick ass. Jumping to Ryzen 3xxx is indeed an improvement (quite a lot), more than just on the processor brute performance side.
Does it already justify the money you have to spend, unless you really need the upgrade? This time, it is really near at the border between yes and no.
It depends on what you need and how you use the PC...4790k can still kick ass!

For me, I am on E3-1231V3 (about the I7 4770 (no-K) without the iGPU) at the moment, yes, I wanna jump to 3700x or 3900x (budget dependent) bandwagon this year or early next year, those extra threads are really helpful for my work.

As for Intel, I also do not think Intel will offer something really nice this year. Next year or the year after perhaps?