Question Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2. Running at ~900MB/S should be 3500MB/s. Slow speed, help!

iLkU

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
Hi guys, just bought and installed my new SSD.
The Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2.
I installed the samsung magician application to benchmark it and to my horror i found that i get really low speeds on the squential read and writes. I tried crystaldisk mark aswell but to no change.
Currently i have used the Sata 1, 2 & 3 connections on my mobo and i use both the M.2 Slots.
Have i missed something or done something wrong?

Please let me know if i can provide any other information!
Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0 GHz
Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M7 https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z170A-GAMING-M7/Specification
Ram: Corsair 4x8GB DDR4 3600MHz CL18 Vengeance
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 980 ( in the first PCI Express x16 slot)
Storage: 4SSD (2 of which one is the EVO 970 in the m.2 and one intel m.2 ) 1 HDD
Other: X-fi Fatality Titanium or what ever sound card (It sits in the last PCI Express x16 slot)

ZZftiza.png

FwQTa2r.png

jrlx6aw.png

wJOqrps.png

bivfmk9.jpg

CosmicDance

Notable
Jun 11, 2019
The only thing I can think of is that the NVME M2 ports are shared when using two SSD s and slow down to the lowest speed which I am assuming is your Intel SSD.
What speed is your Intel SSD?

If you could you try just having the Samsung connected on its own, without the Intel, then running a speed test to see if that is the case.

Andy

iLkU

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
What speed is your Intel SSD?

Just benchmarked it at 1500MB/s read and 600MB/s write, so the speeds aren't matching with the Evo 970.

Just read through the mobo manual tho, and it says that using PCI_E4 while having a M. 2 in the lower slot will reduce the M. 2 slot to PCI-E x1.

And that s where I used to have my extra sound card. That I now have swapped to the southern most PCI-E slot

Could not Clearing CMOS, cause this issue?

I will also swap places with the Intel one and then try again.

iLkU

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
So now i have swapped the intel and the samsung m.2 ssd's.
Still no change in speeds for the EVO one.
QNU7feS.png

And now intel one
ZjvbJpV.png

intel one seems going at halfspeed in read compared to the other slot last time i benchmarked it.

iLkU

Reputable
Aug 25, 2019
I7HzBm6.png
zbVdox9.png
2ytWXKN.png

Ok so it seems everything works now. Why? I have no clue, but what i did was swapping which one goes where on the M.2 Slots. So M2_1 is Intel and M2_2 is Evo 970 plus.

And i read on another thread that a dude had similiar issues, and he said he was having them only right after rebooting. But waiting a while made it work.

I have no idea what the solution is, but someone posted that Fast boot in bios should be disabled.
I havent done that yet, but i will try and see if it helps with the issue IF it still persists after booting.

But if anyone has a solution or something to input, please feel free. Incase it isnt solved or so.

Thanks!