[SOLVED] Screen Freezing/Turning Off Randomly

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Hi all!

I recently finished my new build (specs below), and I find that sometimes when I open Apex Legends, the screen turns off, freezes, or starts flickering. Sometimes, I'm able to pull the HDMI cable out, and when I put it back in, everything's fine. Other times, even once I've done that, everything's still frozen or black. Then I have to restart the PC.

I am running at 1080p 144hz via a 8 meter (26 foot) long CE-Link HDMI 2.0 cable.

Since I have all my drivers updated for my GPU, the only thing I can think of that may be causing this is that I'm asking for too much bandwidth to run through the cable (for its length). Think that could be the problem? Or something else?

Specs
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC
XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT THICC III Ultra
Corsair 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Super Flower SF-650F
Phanteks PH-EC400ATG
Mushkin MKNSSDPE500GB
Dell S2419HGF 1080p 144hz

Solution
Just to update this for anyone who views it in future, I decided to put my PC next to me, and test it with a 2 meter (6 ft) DisplayPort cable, and now I don't get any of the problems I mentioned before. So, either it was the cable, or an HDMI port on my GPU or monitor. My assumption is that it was a cheap cable that wasn't rated correctly, or wasn't built correctly, to handle 1080p 144hz over 8 meters (26 ft).

thegreatestusername

Commendable
Nov 27, 2019
Just to update this for anyone who views it in future, I decided to put my PC next to me, and test it with a 2 meter (6 ft) DisplayPort cable, and now I don't get any of the problems I mentioned before. So, either it was the cable, or an HDMI port on my GPU or monitor. My assumption is that it was a cheap cable that wasn't rated correctly, or wasn't built correctly, to handle 1080p 144hz over 8 meters (26 ft).

Solution

TRENDING THREADS