[SOLVED] Screen turning black for a split second while computer is in use.

CPU: Intel Broadwell-E i7 6800K (OC 4.0Ghz @ 1.275v)
Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3
MOBO: Asus X99 AII
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 8GB X Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHZ Dual Channel 4x4GB 16GB kit
PSU: Corsair RM 850X
SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1TB
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27" 1440p Nvidia GSync 144Hz

Hi

This started happening 3 days ago. Randomly when I'm in Windows desktop or a game (I play Deep Rock Galactic & Insurgency Sandstorm atm) the screen flickers black then turns back to normal, its a bit like the cables been pulled out and put back in.

I have checked the cables and rolled back the driver, even though i haven't updated the driver in months as i have no reason to.

I don't know if windows 10 updated it without telling me, drivers have always confused me a bit.

I would like to mention also i got this GPU back in October 2014 alongside the screen and a little before that i got the MOBO bundle (CPU, MOBO & RAM). It's getting on.

Any suggestions?, I'm hoping this is just a driver related issue.

I may have a go at turning my OC off to see if that's the issue but I've had it for ages like this and it's been fine and anyway if the OC was somehow now unstable the PC would just turn off.

Solution
Hey there,

Although you've said you've no reason to update drivers, for GPU's it's pretty critical. Any software installed after your last GPU driver update, could conceivably be causing the issue. So, I would go right ahead and update to the latest Geforce drivers which you can find here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/157539/en-us

Simply run the prorgram, choose 'Custom Install' and choose the 'Clean Install' option. This will remove the old driver, install the new one. Once that's done, your system may prompt you to restart, if it doesn't just restart anyway. Then let us know if the problem persists.

It's also worth updating your system drivers here...
Hey there,

Although you've said you've no reason to update drivers, for GPU's it's pretty critical. Any software installed after your last GPU driver update, could conceivably be causing the issue. So, I would go right ahead and update to the latest Geforce drivers which you can find here: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/157539/en-us

Simply run the prorgram, choose 'Custom Install' and choose the 'Clean Install' option. This will remove the old driver, install the new one. Once that's done, your system may prompt you to restart, if it doesn't just restart anyway. Then let us know if the problem persists.

It's also worth updating your system drivers here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-A-II/HelpDesk_Download/

Having an up to date system is the solution to most problems on a PC.

You mentioned the GPU is a few years old now, it's possible that IT is the cause. But if you rule out the driver/software side we can diagnose further.

An OC'ed CPU can cause issues, but not necessarily like that. It's worth taking any OC's off and testing again. Is the GPU OC'ed? If so, I'd start there, and run it at stock.

Edit: Also worth checking the GPU is properly seated in the PCIe slot. If you've moved the PC case recently that could be the issue. If it's not perfectly seated, it could cause issues too.

Last edited:
Solution
CPU: Intel Broadwell-E i7 6800K (OC 4.0Ghz @ 1.275v)
Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3
MOBO: Asus X99 AII
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 8GB X Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHZ Dual Channel 4x4GB 16GB kit
PSU: Corsair RM 850X
SDD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 1TB
Monitor: Dell S2716DG 27" 1440p Nvidia GSync 144Hz

Hi

This started happening 3 days ago. Randomly when I'm in Windows desktop or a game (I play Deep Rock Galactic & Insurgency Sandstorm atm) the screen flickers black then turns back to normal, its a bit like the cables been pulled out and put back in.

I have checked the cables and rolled back the driver, even though i haven't updated the driver in months as i have no reason to.

I don't know if windows 10 updated it without telling me, drivers have always confused me a bit.

I would like to mention also i got this GPU back in October 2014 alongside the screen and a little before that i got the MOBO bundle (CPU, MOBO & RAM). It's getting on.

Any suggestions?, I'm hoping this is just a driver related issue.

I may have a go at turning my OC off to see if that's the issue but I've had it for ages like this and it's been fine and anyway if the OC was somehow now unstable the PC would just turn off.
I would update the driver....but if that didn't work....I would swap out the monitor.

Hey there,

It's also worth updating your system drivers here: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/X99-A-II/HelpDesk_Download/

Having an up to date system is the solution to most problems on a PC.

You mentioned the GPU is a few years old now, it's possible that IT is the cause. But if you rule out the driver/software side we can diagnose further.

An OC'ed CPU can cause issues, but not necessarily like that. It's worth taking any OC's off and testing again. Is the GPU OC'ed? If so, I'd start there, and run it at stock.

Edit: Also worth checking the GPU is properly seated in the PCIe slot. If you've moved the PC case recently that could be the issue. If it's not perfectly seated, it could cause issues too.

Hi

So, for now, i have rolled back my driver to the one i have on my backup drive where i store all my apps and drivers if i every need to fix anything. I have installed driver 390.77 as that is the one i had a long while back that i had 0 issues with. I was just playing Sunset OverDrive before and the screen flickered black again like the display lost connection, driver not responding or the GPU cut out for a split second. I have also set the 6800k back to stock 3.4Ghz and disabled manual voltage. Going to reseat the GPU now and give it a dust just in case.

I didn't mean permanently.
Most people don't have an issue with getting another monitor to try.
It will either confirm it's the display or eliminate it and it takes about one minute.

I think its the Display Port cable going bad that or their is an issue with Gsync. I unplugged my Display Port and put in my HDMI cable from my Xbox One X downstairs. Currently displayed at 60hz, with no Gsync as it can't with this cable, and with Vysnc on and I've not seen a black flicker for an hour.

Could someone recommend a verified DP cable I can get online? I've looked on Amazon and some look really Janky and cheap so not sure which to get. Also looked on Scan Computers and I'm just seeming mini Displayport ones

I have been using the HDMI for over an hour and not seen flickering yet. I think it's my Display Port cable. It came with my monitor back when I got it and I have had no issues up till now.

Looking online but can't see any decent Display Port cables. I bought one in the past from amazon for another computer and it didn't work so I ended getting one from a store but that store has stopped selling them now,

Looking on Scan Computers right now to see if they have one.