Question Secondary NVMe slot not working after installing new GPU ?

Jul 1, 2023
Hello guys hope someone can help me, I just upgraded my old pc with a new GPU and PSU, after I installed all the new components the pc started but went into the bios and a green led started to pop out, I removed the secondary NVME slot and the pc started correctly then I moved the NVME with Windows to the secondary Slot and it just wen to bios, I dont know whats happening but I need that secondary NVME for my work.

Here are the old pc specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
PSU: Seasonic 750w Gold
COOLING: NZXT Kraken X62
MOTHERBOARD: Asus B550F GAMING
GRAPHIC: Asus 2060s turbo
NVME: WDBLACK 1 TB WDBLACK 500GB
RAM: 2 X 32 GB 3200 MHZ

New Pc specs:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900x
PSU: Seasonic Vertex 1000w Gold
COOLING: NZXT Kraken X73
MOTHERBOARD: Asus B550F GAMING
GRAPHIC: Asus 4090 ROG
NVME: WDBLACK 1 TB WDBLACK 500GB
RAM: 2 X 32 GB 3200 MHZ

Jul 1, 2023
But why does it happens?? Im rlly noob into this kind of situations, i mean it didnt happen with the previous specs

Last edited:
But why does it happens?? Im rlly noob into this kind of situations, i mean it didnt happen with the previous specs
Those intel 500 series chipsets share bandwidth with between the pcie slots and the m.2 slots. So in some cases if you want to use the full 16 bit bandwidth available for the video card slot then the second m.2 slot won't work. Some of these chipsets allow sharing of the bandwidth between the video slot and second m.2 slot but you would have to use your video card in the 8 bit bandwidth mode which you probably don't want to do. If your motherboard's bios has an option labelled something like CPU PCIE CONFIGURATION MODE then that would be used to share the bandwidth between the pcie slot and m.2 slot. It didn't happen with your previous old video card because that was PCI Express 3.0 and used less bandwidth and your new video card is PCI Express 4.0 which requires the full 16 bit video bandwidth.

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
I've got an old GA-Z97-D3H motherboard where I have three mutually exclusive storage options:

1). Use all 6 SATA ports
2). Use 4 SATA ports and 1 SATA Express port
3). Use 4 SATA ports and 1 M.2 port

When you buy a motherboard, especially from the budget or mid-range versions, there aren't enough PCI lanes to go round all the ports on the motherboard. You have to decide which options are most important and accept that other ports/functions will be disabled. Read the manual.

I can't use the second PCIe x1 port on my latest X670P mobo and install a third M.2 NVMe drive at the same time as a plug in card. The third NVMe drive won the contest!

Jul 1, 2023
Guys thx for all ur helpk, u were rigth i was plugin the sata cables into the same bandwitdht therefore the nvme port was getting disabled.
Ty all