[SOLVED] Should I and how to update my BIOS

Nov 26, 2021
I've heard updating my Gigabyte BIOS could fix problems I'm having but I've heard it's risky so I'm wondering how to do it and if I should use their website or app (where the servers for the update are all in asia which I'm guessing is fine).
My version is F2 from 2013 and the newest one is F7 from 2015.

Solution
Run cpu-Z.
It will identify your motherboard and current bios level.
Here is where you could download the current bios.
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H81M-HD3-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
Unless you have a Z suffix bios, I see nothing that requires an update.
The risk in updating a bios is that a failed update, particularly with older motherboards, is that you may brick the motherboard with nasty options to recover.

I would do any update manually via usb and the bios app.
That avoids the risk of failure from windows or the app.

I would not update on speculation.
I've heard updating my Gigabyte BIOS could fix problems I'm having but I've heard it's risky so I'm wondering how to do it and if I should use their website or app (where the servers for the update are all in asia which I'm guessing is fine).
What motherboard do you have? It might be adviseable to update to fix certain security problems even if nothing seems wrong. Otherwise, with older boards in particular "don't go fixin' it if it ain't broke" is good advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Luka_
Nov 26, 2021
What problems?

Do you have any specific reason to think a BIOS update will solve the problems?

Or do you just think "it can't hurt and might help"?

Honestly I had a few different problems that I was asking people for help with so i'm not entirely sure which they were talking about when they reccomended updating my BIOS, it seems like I should look into those problems more first

Nov 26, 2021
What motherboard do you have? It might be adviseable to update to fix certain security problems even if nothing seems wrong. Otherwise, with older boards in particular "don't go fixin' it if it ain't broke" is good advice.

My Motherboard is this GA-H81M-HD3 (rev. 1.0) but I don't know if that means much, and okay thank you it seems like I should look more into the problems i'm having tbh

Run cpu-Z.
The risk in updating a bios is that a failed update, particularly with older motherboards, is that you may brick the motherboard with nasty options to recover.

Solution
Nov 26, 2021
Run cpu-Z.

Ok thank you very much for the advice and info.
In CPU Z what is and where is current BIOS level, and what is a Z suffix BIOS.

The primary concern with bios updates is an interruption in the power supplied to the computer during the update process. If you have a stable electrical system where there is almost never a power drop then you should not be overly concerned about an update. The location of the servers for the update file is not important since you download the update file onto your computer.

Nov 26, 2021
I mis wrote. I meant a Z suffix processor like for example a I5-4690K
What is your processor?
Cpu-z will show the bios level if you select the motherboard tab.

Ah ok, I have an I5-4670. And maybe i'm missing something but which bit shows the level, I'm not sure what that is or what it would look like

Nov 26, 2021
The primary concern with bios updates is an interruption in the power supplied to the computer during the update process. If you have a stable electrical system where there is almost never a power drop then you should not be overly concerned about an update. The location of the servers for the update file is not important since you download the update file onto your computer.

Oh okay thank you for that info

TRENDING THREADS