Question Should i undervolt my CPU to reduce electricity usage?

Mar 19, 2019
I am a gamer. In our country we have short voltage cut offs. Where the electricity goes off for like a second and comes back immediately. Sadly i've alreayd had to change a motherboard cause my pc kept shutting down and the mobo died.
I then got a UPS with 750 va .
the problems is when i am using the pc normally then even if the electricity goes off for a second the ups switches the battery and it's fine. but when i'm gaming my pc shuts down and restarts which has already slowed my system.
I had two monitors so i even tried by turning one monitor off but still doesn't help.
i really need help.
what are the options for me?
will undervolting the cpu help?
Thank you!

Mar 19, 2019
Full system specs? Include PSU make/model.

So the PC will reboot when gaming even though the UPS kicks in?
Yes!
Idk the full specs like the psu
but
My Rig - GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC Version
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Ram - 8 GB RAM
Motherboard - msi H81M-E33

Mar 19, 2019
Best option, get a properly sized UPS. A 750VA UPS only supports about 400W. And if you have a cheap UPS it may not even handle the rated load. Look for a 1200VA to 1500VA UPS.
Thank you for the reply but I wish i could. but i'm still in college and got no work. got this 750 va after a lot of begging with parents. It's hard for me to get one until i get a job. any other temporary solution?

kanewolf

Titan
Thank you for the reply but I wish i could. but i'm still in college and got no work. got this 750 va after a lot of begging with parents. It's hard for me to get one until i get a job. any other temporary solution?
Your specs don't seem like they should be too high wattage. You may need a new battery for your UPS. How old is the UPS and what make/model is it?

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Yes!
Idk the full specs like the psu
but
My Rig - GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1050 OC Version
CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Ram - 8 GB RAM
Motherboard - msi H81M-E33
Power supply? I think if it has poor hold up time it's possible that your PC would shut off before the UPS is able to come online (would also depend on the kind of UPS you have).

After the PC shuts off, are you able to start it up again while still running on UPS power?

Last edited:

kanewolf

Titan
That UPS is not a brand I have ever heard of. There is no significant technical info on the web so I don't know how good that UPS is. The Rs 3000 price listed is about $44. That is about half the equivalent price of a name brand 750VA UPS in the USA. So the quality may not be very good.

Reactions: TJ Hooker
Mar 19, 2019
Power supply? I think if it has poor hold up time it's possible that your PC would shut off before the UPS is able to come online (would also depend on the kind of UPS you have).

After the PC shuts off, are you able to start it up again while still running on UPS power?
Sometimes i think it's the powersupply too. idk which one it is but i will have to check.
The thing is that electricity is already back before the ups is able to switch i guess? So the pc starts up on it own as soon as it gets shut down. But it only happens while gaming.