[SOLVED] Should I wait for 4000 series if TDP is a big issue for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
About to upgrade my GPU (from RX 570) and saw a good offer for a 3080 Ti

To my surprise though, the 3080 Ti has a whopping 350W TDP (more than twice of my RX 570).

Anyway, after that a friend of mine told me that I should wait for the 4000 series. Then I took a look at their rumored TDP.
The rumored 4090 would have up to 850W TDP.

I care alot about my PC's power consumption, so I would like to limit the maximum TDP that I could afford for GPU is 300W.

Should I wait for 4000 series if their rumored TDP are so beefy, or should I get 3000 series instead?

Solution
Would I regret it if I take 3070/80 Ti now rathen than waiting for the 4000 series? (3080 Ti is still an option since I do want a long-lasting upgrade)

Oh... I see your point
So you're suggesting time took priority then?
What they're suggesting, you have to pull the trigger at some point, otherwise you'll just wait forever.

I've made purchases where within a month or two, something better came out or the thing went on sale. Did I feel salty about it? Sure. But I didn't feel any regret about it since it was still better than what I had and I was happy with what I purchased before the shiny new thing anyway.

I mean, until we're absolutely certain we're not going to get better parts, there's always going to be...
My standard answer to this: if you need something now, get something now. If you can wait, then wait.

If you're apprehensive about the rumor of the 4090 consuming more power than most gaming PCs in total, keep in mind that it's the halo "performance at all costs" card. It's like worrying Toyota or Nissan is throwing MPG out the window on every car because they made a high performance sports car. There will be lower power consuming cards, and pretty much anything in the lineup will be a major upgrade to what you have, regardless if it's from the 30 or 40 series.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
My standard answer to this: if you need something now, get something now. If you can wait, then wait.

If you're apprehensive about the rumor of the 4090 consuming more power than most gaming PCs in total, keep in mind that it's the halo "performance at all costs" card. It's like worrying Toyota or Nissan is throwing MPG out the window on every car because they made a high performance sports car. There will be lower power consuming cards, and pretty much anything in the lineup will be a major upgrade to what you have, regardless if it's from the 30 or 40 series.
don't know until it come out. like @hotaru.hino said, if you need it now get it
I do have been itching to upgrade. But if the wait would make it worth it then I will wait.

Then let me change the question
Would I regret it if I take 3070/80 Ti now rathen than waiting for the 4000 series? (3080 Ti is still an option since I do want a long-lasting upgrade)

Edit:
My main priority is TDP so I guess 3070 Ti took precedent than 3080 Ti

Oh... I see your point
So you're suggesting time took priority then?
What they're suggesting, you have to pull the trigger at some point, otherwise you'll just wait forever.

I've made purchases where within a month or two, something better came out or the thing went on sale. Did I feel salty about it? Sure. But I didn't feel any regret about it since it was still better than what I had and I was happy with what I purchased before the shiny new thing anyway.

I mean, until we're absolutely certain we're not going to get better parts, there's always going to be something better down the road. So again, you're just going to have to pull the trigger at some point.

Last edited:
Solution

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
buy/upgrade when you want to and can afford it.
What they're suggesting is at some point, you have to pull the trigger at some point, otherwise you'll just wait forever.

I mean, until we're absolutely certain we're not going to get better parts, there's always going to be something better down the road. So again, you're just going to have to pull the trigger at some point.

Thanks for the advice both of you. It really helps me sort out my mind.

I've decided to take the 3000 series instead then. I could always upgrade later if I want and could. Maybe at that time it's already 5000 series that's much more better than 4000 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.