Sign-In Migration Megathread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

It's completely OS/browser agnostic. I've tested in Windows and Linux with IE, Edge, Firefox, Opera & Chrome and it happens everywhere.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there all,

Please be aware, if you do send a request to the system to reset your password, it may possibly take a bit of time for that email to arrive (potentially upwards of 5 minutes) as this was an issue reported earlier in the process that may or may not have cropped up during the migration. Please bear with.

-JP

logainofhades

Titan
I was unable to log in earlier today. I tried changing password, and no luck. I could log into the tom's main page, but would get 500 errors in the forum section. I also noticed that it was showing my old email address, when I logged in with my username. I used the google link, as I now have gmail, and was able to log in that way.

hmm, also jsut got an email about the migration that... maybe is lacking some info?
lh1sNSm.png

ianj14

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Damn, if only I remembered that my login name is screwed up from the last migration/update, then I might find I could actually login to make a comment. The system here is really odd compared to other websites. Maybe this new method might be better, but somehow I doubt it.

timbozero

Distinguished
May 31, 2009
Nice to see security updates, however it would be nice to know what urls we need to keep our cookies for.
Some of us have cookie cleaners and knowing which cookies (urls of) maintain our login would be useful.

No problems here using Slimjet as a browser (have not tried it on Firefox). I've only noticed a couple of minor annoyances:

1) When trying to respond to articles, there's no option to go to the forum comment format (where you can edit, etc.). It's just the generic commenting interface.

2) My username and avatar on the main website and on said generic commenting utility show up with my email and email avatar (Google/Gmail), not my Tom's Hardware username and avatar (10tacle, F/A-18E). When commenting on forums, everything is normal. Confused the heck out of me at first.

DeLorean 2017

Commendable
Oct 23, 2016
Ok, so I just logged in using Brave Browser without any problems. So once I have logged in, I'm good right? My credentials will be in the new system?

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
My username and avatar on the main website and on said generic commenting utility show up with my email and email avatar (Google/Gmail), not my Tom's Hardware username and avatar (10tacle, F/A-18E). When commenting on forums, everything is normal. Confused the heck out of me at first.

Your email address itself isn't exposed, correct?

Correct. I meant email name just to be more clear. I checked using another computer not logged in just to be sure. It's just showing for me when logged in for whatever reason (and again, it's only on the front main page and when in articles typing responses, not in the forum discussion like this).

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
just tested a handful of my old posts and i can now edit them without being logged out and returned to the main page :)

thanks for the quick fix

i now get this when inspecting that element
<a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/edit/20053628" data-href="#" class="crLink"><span>Update this</span></a>

hopefully it's fixed for everyone

Yaaa-Hooo ... in FF w/bunches of add-ons
All good, here, and the Quote function works for the first time in 10 years (?) ...

On what may or may not be a completely unrelated matter, I did have some rather nasty 'TSL Handshake' issues yesterday -- here, and everywhere else after 2PM EST or so

Quick edit -- be good

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
Hey there all!

TIP: If you are experiencing difficulty signing in with your username, please try using the email you signed up with instead.

Known/Reported Issues:

• "0AUTH Error: Redirect URL is wrong" issue where this error is received upon attempted login.
• Username and Avatar on article comments and login screen shows email nickname from Google instead of Tom's username and avatar.
• The link to "Comment from the Forums" is missing in article comments from editorial pages.
• Random difficulties signing-in using username and password. (See above tip for workaround.)
• Login issues for Internet Explorer 11, generates a blank screen.

There are naturally a few hiccups with the transition, so we ask your patience in bearing with us as we work out the bumps in this migration. Devs have been notified of these issues and we hope to have them resolved soon.

-JP

MERGED QUESTION
Question from doh : "Login to Tom's on IE11"

randomizer

Champion
If you can't log out you can probably force it by deleting cookies for tomshardware.com (or .co.uk). I can't say for certain but I suspect the cookie named "sso.tomshardware.com-sso" is the culprit.

Same here. First day after migration, when I was trying to Log out, I was always seeing error 500. Now it works as SinxarKnights described.
Funny enough, I can log in and out of Toms guide without problems.

Jsimenhoff

Community Manager
Editor
Feb 28, 2016

Have you tried this fix suggested by Randomizer?

If you can't log out you can probably force it by deleting cookies for tomshardware.com (or .co.uk). I can't say for certain but I suspect the cookie named "sso.tomshardware.com-sso" is the culprit.