Skyrim Developer Says PC Development is a Headache

Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Naturally piracy is also a major factor to deal with in PC development.

Oh STFU, it's possible on consoles, as well!!

we continue to enthusiastically support our PC fans with things like the Creation Kit and the ability to create and add unlimited amounts of mods and content to your existing PC game.
I cannot imagine a TES game without mods. It'd be an incomplete experience - I remember all the mods I had in Morrowind, they enhanced the game experience so much!

As you saw with Rage, all it takes is some bad video card drivers and years of hard work comes off as 'buggy' when in fact it's a really solid, stable game.

BS, BS, BS!

You know, somehow The Witcher 2 does NOT have any issues like that and it's one of the best-looking and most stable games I've played!

campb292

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
"As you saw with Rage, all it takes is some bad video card drivers and years of hard work comes off as 'buggy' when in fact it's a really solid, stable game."

This comment assumes for years the drivers from nvidia and amd/ati with Rage were rock solid and right before release they rewrote the drivers and thus the game seemed buggy. They released the game without testing the game with recent drivers? They could even include the last "good" driver right on the disk - the problem is there wasn't one.

Come on people, take responsibility. How could any tester have tried a mid-higher end AMD card on that final product and said, "This works great".

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
A million different possibilities of hardware, drivers, etc.

BTW, another load of BS! That's what DirectX is there for - it's a hardware abstraction layer; so when you make a game, you make it for DX, NOT for some "specific hardware configuration". Don't try to bull$h!t the enthusiasts, Bethesda!

dillonpeterliam

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2011
@amk-aka-Phantom
You hit the nail on the head with your Witcher 2 comment, It had issues but they were not as extreme as Fallout 3 or Skyrims.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]dillonpeterliam[/nom]@amk-aka-PhantomYou hit the nail on the head with your Witcher 2 comment, It had issues but they were not as extreme as Fallout 3 or Skyrims.[/citation]

Skyrim already has issues? :lol:

When you develop an RPG as huge as Morrowind or Fallout 3, I can tolerate quest issues, because I understand that it's a huge amount of work to make sure all quests come together without interfering with each other. And let's be honest, all Morrowind bugs were fixed in the last patch, although it was quite funny: Morrowind has bugs, Tribunal comes out, fixes Morrowind bugs and introduces new ones, Bloodmoon fixes Tribunal bugs and introduces new ones, then FINALLY they fix ALL the bugs in the patch :D

Witcher 2 DOES have a few quests that can be broken. It's fine, I always play such games with their Wikia page open to know what I have to avoid in order to not break the quest :D

But this is graphics issues they're talking about, and Witcher 2 has none. And I can name a ton of other games which might be even console ports and STILL have good graphics and no RAGE-like problems.

Indeed,

[citation][nom]boju[/nom]consoles have made lazy developers[/citation]

Probably why tablet gaming is considered such a profitable market - you can milk way more customers for cash without having to develop much at all.

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
I finished up my review on this game for PC last night and then came here and saw this as a headline, the header may explain why this game is so crappy on PC. I was super disappointing with it. Anyways you guys may want to see my review for yourselves. I didn't give the pc game a high review, but i think it was a fair one.

youtube.com/watch?v=YqX03R4Q1QE

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
No, this is what happens when you develop for consoles and try to port to PC so you don't have to do as much work.

Also, it is funny they are talking about piracy when Oblivion had no protection, yet still sold awesome on PC?

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Excuses in early boys!

Probably the reason people pirate bethesda games, is because they are so buggy and poor.

Afaik, it isn't graphics that makes the rediculous amount of bugs in fallout / elder scrolls.
Since elder scrolls was crap on the console also.

evo_7

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2011
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Skyrim already has issues? When you develop an RPG as huge as Morrowind or Fallout 3, I can tolerate quest issues, because I understand that it's a huge amount of work to make sure all quests come together without interfering with each other. And let's be honest, all Morrowind bugs were fixed in the last patch, although it was quite funny: Morrowind has bugs, Tribunal comes out, fixes Morrowind bugs and introduces new ones, Bloodmoon fixes Tribunal bugs and introduces new ones, then FINALLY they fix ALL the bugs in the patch Witcher 2 DOES have a few quests that can be broken. It's fine, I always play such games with their Wikia page open to know what I have to avoid in order to not break the quest But this is graphics issues they're talking about, and Witcher 2 has none. And I can name a ton of other games which might be even console ports and STILL have good graphics and no RAGE-like problems. Indeed,Probably why tablet gaming is considered such a profitable market - you can milk way more customers for cash without having to develop much at all.[/citation]

* There's also the assumption that you're making that some people actually update their drivers. Being a gamer doesn't equate to being knowledgeable about the stuff. I still encounter people every now and then who run a Windows XP service pack 1 and haven't done updates for several years on anything. When it comes to updated drivers for the GPU end, I still see it and they usually contribute it to the game rather than their hardware.

[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]No, this is what happens when you develop for consoles and try to port to PC so you don't have to do as much work.Also, it is funny they are talking about piracy when Oblivion had no protection, yet still sold awesome on PC?[/citation]

* Good sales and/or a game doesn't imply little to no piracy. The basic model most people agree with that applies is when a title is highly anticipated and features good gameplay it sells very well and is equally as pirated as much. It's the same correlation for a movie; the more the movie sells the more it's pirated and why its no surprise Avatar is the most illegally downloaded movie.

[citation][nom]g00ey[/nom]Well then, take an aspirin and shut up![/citation]

* I assume they could've just made it for console and not hear people whine as much and say to them to take aspirin as well and STFU.

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
[citation][nom]wooodoggies[/nom]sissy devs, so they want a huge paycheck with no work? anything worth doing IS DIFFICULT[/citation]

As if making a game on any platform doesn't require a lot of work? We're talking about Bethesda here...

G

Well i pirated this game and im proud of it, they decided to use steam, so it was all in their hands.

if not i would have bought it, but im not installing POS steam on my pc.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I seem to recall reading that the platform with the sheer largest number of pirated copies was xbox 360. So why is piracy only a problem on the PC again?

Maybe the reason sales are poor on PC is because PC gamers expect good games, and sorry, but the entire elder scrolls franchise has been nothing but drivel. It's the halo of the RPG world. Lowest common denominator. Tried Morrowwind, gave it up a couple hours in because there was nothing engaging about the world. Dropped Oblivion because I discovered that as much as everybody talked about how pretty it was, that's all there was to it, no game play. I assume skyrim will be more of the same.

zanny

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]BTW, another load of BS! That's what DirectX is there for - it's a hardware abstraction layer; so when you make a game, you make it for DX, NOT for some "specific hardware configuration". Don't try to bull$h!t the enthusiasts, Bethesda![/citation]

This is tangental, but I would much rather devs write games for openGL rather than directX, so they can release them on OSX and Linux as well without almost any problems.

I think the big problem is that when you develop a game for a console, you have to fine grain control every pixel buffer and bit of memory in the video card and system RAM because the resources are so constrained. When you go back to the PC, you forget that PCs are so much more powerful than consoles that using some abstraction layers like the SDL or OpenGL on top of standard library C functions is more than enough to get a game that will compile anywhere.

They are so used to the overly complex development environment for consoles, where each platform must be built almost independently of one another because they have completely different architectures, they forget on the PC you can abstract away almost all of the platform dependencies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]BTW, another load of BS! That's what DirectX is there for - it's a hardware abstraction layer; so when you make a game, you make it for DX, NOT for some "specific hardware configuration". Don't try to bull$h!t the enthusiasts, Bethesda![/citation]

What he means is not likely the code itself but rather the scale, even when its written towards a single api with the same language the code have to allow good performance from the weakest to the more high end machines to be enjoyable for all, if you don't support the weakest the game wont sell ´well and if you don't support the high end you will hear loads of crying harming sales as well. I can understand the headaches in where to put the bar in that regard. With consoles its still the same crap hardware it was years ago so you know when the dev cycle begins where to put the bar. On pc alot changes in the years it take to make a title!

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
Keep in mind that the graphics card wars help boost gaming back in the 90s for those developers complaining.

The concept was simple, called effort in competing:
3DFX started a rift that made all graphics card developers try to boost their capabilities to meet 3DFxs; however, many have tried and failed. Nvidia, ATI were the remaining forces since 3DFX went under.

Without competition, the advances of gaming, hardware, etc. started to plummet. We've been on the XBOX 360/PS3 for a long while and no hardware advances until Unreal, Frostbite 2 and the Crytek engines appeared, thus making the console wars develop a new system.

Hopefully people realize that we had a decade of graphics/console/engine boost back then and now we are at a halt because people's lack of interest in developing either a new engine/program/etc. to make another competition arise.

Like the other post's mentioned; Either be lazy and just develop for the same console for the next 6 years OR develop a new engine that will revolutionize the gaming industry.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I'd hate to see these current Bethesda devs try and code a game back in the DOS days with no real standardized APIs, LOL. Talk to those coders and then you can complain!

cptnjarhead

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
It just is. A million different possibilities of hardware, drivers, etc. As you saw with Rage, all it takes is some bad video card drivers and years of hard work comes off as 'buggy' when in fact it's a really solid, stable game."

GLIDE, OpenGL, and Direct3D make it tough. wish there was a unified API that developers could use to make things easier. :)

Slomoshun

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
I don't get it..

It's hard to make games for PC...yet I hear tons of developers say it's harder to make games for consoles.

FFS stop being so GD lazy.

Look at MW3. Probably the laziest game ever made. It's a complete rehash of MW2, a 2yr old game, with new maps and guns and some game modes stolen from other games like Crysis 2. Hell, if you get a MW3 crash the crash report says "MW2 Error"

Status
Not open for further replies.