[SOLVED] Slower Download Speed than im supposed to

dbeasley690

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
Recently changed providers to ATT. Where I live, the only plan available is the 18mbps plan, which sucks, but its all we got. After switching, and doing a speed test on my phone, it showed i was getting 17mbps down. When I do the speed test on my desktop, in the same room however, Im only getting 10mbps.

Im kinda forced to use a wireless connection due to the weird spot of the router in the next room, so idk if fully swapping to wired is viable. the tech that installed for us ended up giving me a plug link ethernet adapter, and it seems to make my connection more stable when gaming, but the download speed is about .6mbps slower, wouldnt be so bad if i was getting my full download.

Since my phone and iPad seem to get the full speed, I was thinking it could be my PC? but im not certain since before on my old plan I was getting proper speeds with the same PC. If anyone has an idea it would be helpful

Solution
I believe the modem is dual purpose? its the one ATT provides with the service, and it seems to also act as the router since we connect to it.
as for the wireless adapter its this little AC600 WLAN USB adapter ive had for a long time. It was my first guess as the source of the issue, but ive also been connected through the PlugLink9650 Ethernet Adapter. When I disconnect from the PlugLink, the download speed slightly Improves, but ping is really bad on the AC600. Still not the 17-18mbps that the modem says its getting when i do the speed test on it.

CPU: Intel i7-10700k
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-H GAMING Bios Ver. 1003
Ram: 32gb Corsair Ram
SSD/HDD: 1tb Samsung SSD, 1tb HDD
GPU: RTX 2080 Super FE
PSU: Thermaltake...

Lutfij

Titan
Do you have a wireless router between the AT&T modem and the PC or is the modem the wireless router itself? If so, then you might want to turn your attention towards the PC. We're going to need a little more information pertaining to said PC. Please list the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the BIOS version for your motherboard outside of it's make and model above. Also, mention the wireless adapter that you're using to tether the PC to the router.

dbeasley690

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
Do you have a wireless router between the AT&T modem and the PC or is the modem the wireless router itself? If so, then you might want to turn your attention towards the PC. We're going to need a little more information pertaining to said PC. Please list the specs to your system like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Include the BIOS version for your motherboard outside of it's make and model above. Also, mention the wireless adapter that you're using to tether the PC to the router.

I believe the modem is dual purpose? its the one ATT provides with the service, and it seems to also act as the router since we connect to it.
as for the wireless adapter its this little AC600 WLAN USB adapter ive had for a long time. It was my first guess as the source of the issue, but ive also been connected through the PlugLink9650 Ethernet Adapter. When I disconnect from the PlugLink, the download speed slightly Improves, but ping is really bad on the AC600. Still not the 17-18mbps that the modem says its getting when i do the speed test on it.

PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower 750W
OS: include OS version(not edition) Windows 10 19043.1320

kanewolf

Titan

PSU: Thermaltake ToughPower 750W
OS: include OS version(not edition) Windows 10 19043.1320
Be sure you don't have the ROG GameFirst software installed. It will interfere with speedtest.
If this is your WIFI adapter -- https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC600-Dual-Adapter-A6100/dp/B00F6EL6O4 then that could be a problem. These nano adapters don't have a large antenna and get buried behind your case. If you must use WIFI, this is what I recommend -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7 It has large antennas, and a USB extension that lets you move it out from behind your PC case for best signal.

Solution

dbeasley690

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
Be sure you don't have the ROG GameFirst software installed. It will interfere with speedtest.
If this is your WIFI adapter -- https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-AC600-Dual-Adapter-A6100/dp/B00F6EL6O4 then that could be a problem. These nano adapters don't have a large antenna and get buried behind your case. If you must use WIFI, this is what I recommend -- https://www.amazon.com/Techkey-1750Mbps-1300Mbps-Antennas-Wireless/dp/B07PKMFPF7 It has large antennas, and a USB extension that lets you move it out from behind your PC case for best signal.

Ok, I decided to purchase an Ethernet Cable to run from my modem to PC. I previously had a extremely short CAT 5 Cable that was used with the PlugLink Extender that my PC automatically detects. The new cable I purchased is a CAT 6 and for some reason it doesnt detect. I plugged it in to a laptop, the laptop detected the cable, and a light on the slot used for the modem lit up when connected to the Laptop, but my PC doesnt seem to recognize the CAT 6. It recognizes the CAT 5 tho?

You may want to see if the seller will replace the cable.

Are there any markings on the cable. There is a lot of fake cable being sold because of the price of copper metal. The cable must be pure copper wire (no CCA) and it must have wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables)