Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I recently upgraded my pc to a Ryzen 7 2700x build on an MSI Mortar Max motherboard, i have a WD Blue 500gb SN550 m.2 in my first Pcie Gen3x4 slot but i want to put a 1 tb version in my second m.2 slot, so i can be sure i have the fastest storage possible between the two, but according to the manufacturer it is only a PcieGen2x4 m.2 slot and i am wondering how badly that will impact performance of a drive that has crazy fast read and write speeds, or should i buy something more like a Samsung 860 evo, for slightly more money but has a sata connection?

to be fair it is only going to be used for games storage but it seems to be a reasonable price to me for 1tb in the uk at the moment is £115, whereas something like the evo is £130 and supposedly alot slower, any help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
Yes, a Gen2 port will impact the speed of that WD Blue drive.

Instead of the 860 EVO, a Crucial MX500. Same performance, cheaper.

What do you use this system for?
"Crazy fast"is not noticeable in a lot of use cases.

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Update, i found a WD Blue 3d Nand 1tb m.2 on amazon for £100, have purchased that as it will sort my needs without cabling and the speeds of this drive will not be affected by my Gen2x4 slot, slightly cheaper than even an MX500 of Ebay and leaves my sata ports free, furthermore i did kind of jam the back side of my case closed rather than cable managing more effectively and i am lazy so it works out

Thanks for the advice