[SOLVED] [Solved] Cpu Speeds Throttling, Voltage Dropping, Monitor Flashing, Any idea how to help?

Aug 29, 2020
Hello, a few weeks ago I finally took the time to do my first build and create the system I've always wanted. When it was completed, everything ran like a charm, temps were great, speeds were great, no problems were apparent. Recently however, some problems have arisen and I have no idea how these even remotely make sense or what is happening.

There are a few specific games that are causing problems that at first didn't occur. The games so far that have done this are Overwatch, CoD Modern Warfare, and Rocket League. Every other game from SMITE to RoR2 runs fine. The problems begin on startup of the game. When first opening, my monitor will flash black and come back right after, this also tends to mess up the coloring on the desktop and oversaturate it (this may be because i have an hdr monitor i do not know). After this flashing occurs, my cpu speed will begin to drop. Normally I have 4.80 GHz, then it goes to stock 3.80GHz (i7-10700k), and finally it slows completely to 0.80GHz and gets stuck so long as the game is running. This results in massively dropped frames to about 40-50fps, which are mostly unaffected by changing settings. During this, temps are quite low at about 50C on the cpu. (Comparatively I usually reach about 70C-ish while gaming normally). The gpu sometimes appears not be utilized fully and other times it will. (Some games 80-90% [OW] while others 40-50 [CoD:MW]) On exiting the game my screen will once again flash black and my cpu speeds will return to normal. If anyone could help in any way I would really appreciate it.

Specs:
Cpu: i7-10700k
Mobo: Msi Z490 Gaming Edge Wifi
Gpu: Msi 2080 Super Gaming X Trio
RAM: 16gb corsair vengeance 3600
PSU: Fractal Design Ion+ Plat 760W
Montiors: LG 27gl850-b (1440p 144hz) and another random viewsonic 1080p monitor

Solution
Update: After going through literally every program on my pc, I found that msi's dragon center had gaming mode enabled. turns out every app I was having trouble with are the ones with it enabled. Disabling it fixed all of my problems and everything is once again moving smoothly. No idea what caused this to happen in the first place but alas, bloatware is bad. All because I wanted to change the rgb on my gpu :)

(not sure how to delete a thread or mark a solution, if i can. but yeah.)
Aug 29, 2020
I should also mention I have tried changing power plan, disabling hdr, and reinstalling said games. Reinstalling seemed to fix at first but that did not last upon the next boot.

Aug 29, 2020
Remove the second monitor and try it with one.

Also if you're overclocked on anything gpu, cpu, or memory return it to stock.
Disabling XMP and/or using one monitor also has no effect. No cpu overclock afaik, stock i7-10700k with boost clock of 4700. enabling/disabling msi's game boost to OC also has no change. one thing i have noticed however is that when the speeds drop to 0.800GHz, the voltage also drops from ~1.25 to 0.6V.

Aug 29, 2020
Update: After going through literally every program on my pc, I found that msi's dragon center had gaming mode enabled. turns out every app I was having trouble with are the ones with it enabled. Disabling it fixed all of my problems and everything is once again moving smoothly. No idea what caused this to happen in the first place but alas, bloatware is bad. All because I wanted to change the rgb on my gpu :)

Reactions: dorsai
Solution

I've run into serious problems with MSI Dragon Center myself...it's so bad that when I want to change motherboard controlled RGB lighting I install it then immediately uninstall it...luckily the changes stick even with it uninstalled.

Reactions: Velv