Aug 5, 2023
Hello, everyone. I bought one of those cheap 70$ PSUs off Ebay "rated" (using the term loosely, I can't find a UL logo on the thing for the life of me) for 1075 watts about a year ago, because I knew very little about computers at the time. Now I finally have the graphics card I intended to power with it, I know a little more about computer parts, and I know that by using it at its maximum wattage I risk frying my graphics card, PC, or both, or setting the whole house on fire, which would be less than ideal.

Now, today, I know that my desired setup (literally a prebuilt office PC from 2014 with a 1070 sticking out of the case on a riser, don't judge me) would consume at most 390 watts (adding the wattage of the PSU that came with it to the wattage consumed by the new card)

So my question is, is the risk of my computer turning into an improvised lighter reduced since it draws less than half the "rated" power? If so, is it worth the risk to use it, or should I scrounge up some more money and buy something trustworthy?

By the way, the PSU in question is the "MI-X81075CD", although I can't really find anything related to it in a web search, with all the results being what looks like its 750 watt cousin.

Last edited:
Solution
It is "illegal" to sell ATX PSUs in the States without a UL (Underwriters Laboratory) mark. Ditto in the EU with no CE mark. Most cheap equipment manufacturers affix the relevant mark, but can't be bothered to perform compliance testing or self-certification. In other words they're lying through their teeth when they claim their product conforms to the relevant safety standard.

The so-called "1075W" rating of your power supply is probably just a magic number plucked out of thin air by the no-name manufacturer. It means absolutely nothing if you cannot find an online review of your specific model number by a reputable tester. Some really cheap PSUs expire at half their "rated" power. Yours might be even lower.

$70 is by no means the...

Misgar

Notable
Mar 2, 2023
It is "illegal" to sell ATX PSUs in the States without a UL (Underwriters Laboratory) mark. Ditto in the EU with no CE mark. Most cheap equipment manufacturers affix the relevant mark, but can't be bothered to perform compliance testing or self-certification. In other words they're lying through their teeth when they claim their product conforms to the relevant safety standard.

The so-called "1075W" rating of your power supply is probably just a magic number plucked out of thin air by the no-name manufacturer. It means absolutely nothing if you cannot find an online review of your specific model number by a reputable tester. Some really cheap PSUs expire at half their "rated" power. Yours might be even lower.

$70 is by no means the cheapest PSU I've seen on eBay.
There's a nice brand new PSU here for only $10.50. Sounds like a bargain. I'll buy three.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/195418940725?hash=item2d7fe06535:g:I-YAAOSwUMRi5IBs&amdata=enc:AQAIAAAAwD7vb1ftVCaXShVDq0GyNPcr/LdL9Py0MEKUcIgV3Qfd62S8xu1dHaLK07DIoLhPIkKfOXn7FLMKq/haiPypRDhLa8UTaBrnujCrQRy2InS6FAqJRA0oTjYkqxlm0Kbx//7Mis7uQrv7/dAjHMp5K4RXLzIerIu5V3U0hxZP0cpRd5nPRd9IoDnTdAbIoODOtrdMYyFDt0dGCkvuKv13r8AOF72lcKfkCNFRkA/vVHWBbemDKB/JT0eYVVjw8zXZLw==|tkp:Bk9SR6aT47C5Yg

Seriously though, a cheap PSU might function for years in a low-end office PC with no PCIe GPU card, but as soon as you put a decent load on it, expect fireworks and grief. If you don't mind risking everything inside your PC to the vagaries of a badly designed PSU, go ahead. Perhaps it's time for a new computer when the PSU kills the old one.

Check out any intended purchases on this list:
https://cultists.network/140/psu-tier-list/

Ideally, get a PSU in the Tier A - High End category. Quality and safety cost money.
Don't go any lower than Tier C - Low End.
The PSUs you really want to avoid are those in Tier F - Replace Immediately.

Be careful. Some manufacturers have PSUs dotted about all over this list. Their most expensive units are up in Tier A, but they may also have cheaper units way down in Tier D or Tier E. Don't get caught out.

A really good (expensive) PSU will come with a warranty for 10 to 12 years.
A low end PSU might have a 2 or 3 year warranty.
A garbage PSU will have a one year warranty which is worthless.

Reactions: FishbedMyBeloved
Solution

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello, everyone. I bought one of those cheap 70$ PSUs off Ebay "rated" (using the term loosely, I can't find a UL logo on the thing for the life of me) for 1075 watts about a year ago, because I knew very little about computers at the time. Now I finally have the graphics card I intended to power with it, I know a little more about computer parts, and I know that by using it at its maximum wattage I risk frying my graphics card, PC, or both, or setting the whole house on fire, which would be less than ideal.

Now, today, I know that my desired setup (literally a prebuilt office PC from 2014 with a 1070 sticking out of the case on a riser, don't judge me) would consume at most 390 watts (adding the wattage of the PSU that came with it to the wattage consumed by the new card)

So my question is, is the risk of my computer turning into an improvised lighter reduced since it draws less than half the "rated" power? If so, is it worth the risk to use it, or should I scrounge up some more money and buy something trustworthy?

By the way, the PSU in question is the "MI-X81075CD", although I can't really find anything related to it in a web search, with all the results being what looks like its 750 watt cousin.

The only thing this PSU should ever be connected to is the conveyer belt at the recycling center.