Question Soundbar only making audio on the right side of the speakers after motherboard change. Left side completely silent

Sniper2008009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
As the title says, the left side of the soundbar is completely silent after making a motherboard change. The soundbar being defective is ruled out as I have tested this on two other devices and the left side sounds completely fine so it's clearly not the device at fault. What could be the problem? My previous motherboard was 990FXA-GD65 - MSI. I switched over to a used ASUS Crosshair V Formula when my MSI mobo caved in and had to be replaced and this is where the problem with the audio started. I reckon it could be the previous audio drivers at fault here? I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Realtek audio drivers but to no avail. Wanted to find the ORIGINAL drivers for the ASUS Mobo but I couldn't find where the original stock audio drivers were. All I get are the latest updates. Processor is FX-8350.

As the title says, the left side of the soundbar is completely silent after making a motherboard change. The soundbar being defective is ruled out as I have tested this on two other devices and the left side sounds completely fine so it's clearly not the device at fault. What could be the problem? My previous motherboard was 990FXA-GD65 - MSI. I switched over to a used ASUS Crosshair V Formula when my MSI mobo caved in and had to be replaced and this is where the problem with the audio started. I reckon it could be the previous audio drivers at fault here? I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Realtek audio drivers but to no avail. Wanted to find the ORIGINAL drivers for the ASUS Mobo but I couldn't find where the original stock audio drivers were. All I get are the latest updates. Processor is FX-8350.
Which connection ?

Sniper2008009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
Green one ?

Yep, the green one. I just matched colors. I've even tried downgrading to previous versions of realtek but to no avail. I just re-tried putting the jack on my cell phone today and the left speaker sounds fine when doing a test on youtube using this link/vid. It's only when using my PC that the left side is completely silent. It could either be a driver or motherboard issue. Hopefully it's the former because otherwise, I'm gonna be stuck with a faulty sound chip from my motherboard.

Sniper2008009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
Just bought a used ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ motherboard as my MSI 990FXA-GD65 - MSI mobo finally gave out. When I plugged my soundbar, the left side is completely silent. I didn't have this problem before using my previous MSI mobo. The soundbar being defective is ruled out as I have tested this on two other devices and the left side sounds completely fine so it's clearly not the device at fault. Even tested it on my phone using this vid/link and the left side sounds fine. Using my PC however with the same test, the left side is now completely silent. What could be the problem? I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Realtek audio drivers but to no avail. I even downgraded to a previous version of realtek (R. 281) but still the left side is completely silent. Wanted to find the ORIGINAL drivers for the ASUS Mobo but I couldn't find anywhere the original stock audio drivers. All I get from ASUS support website are the latest updates. Anyone had this problem and what are the possible fixes if this is indeed a motherboard issue?

Just bought a used ASUS Crosshair V Formula AM3+ motherboard as my MSI 990FXA-GD65 - MSI mobo finally gave out. When I plugged my soundbar, the left side is completely silent. I didn't have this problem before using my previous MSI mobo. The soundbar being defective is ruled out as I have tested this on two other devices and the left side sounds completely fine so it's clearly not the device at fault. Even tested it on my phone using this vid/link and the left side sounds fine. Using my PC however with the same test, the left side is now completely silent. What could be the problem? I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling Realtek audio drivers but to no avail. I even downgraded to a previous version of realtek (R. 281) but still the left side is completely silent. Wanted to find the ORIGINAL drivers for the ASUS Mobo but I couldn't find anywhere the original stock audio drivers. All I get from ASUS support website are the latest updates. Anyone had this problem and what are the possible fixes if this is indeed a motherboard issue?
Could be just a faulty contact on the MB's side. with a right driver you may be able to repurpose another plug.
MB has
SupremeFX X-Fi 2 built-in 8-channel High Definition
Audio.CODEC
  • EAX® Advanced™ HD 5.0
  • THX® TruStudio PRO™
  • X-Fi® Xtreme Fidelity™
  • Creative® ALchemy
  • Supports Blu-ray audio layer content protection
  • Supports 1 Optical S/PDIF out port at back I/O
  • Supports Jack-sensing, Multi-streaming, Front
Panel Jack-Retask
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...X-Fi-MB2-EXPERIENCE-including-Optical-OUT-5-1

What is the make and model of this soundbar? Is there any other connection you could use, e.g. the optical output, which would be normal for a soundbar.

Sniper2008009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
Could be just a faulty contact on the MB's side. with a right driver you may be able to repurpose another plug.
MB has
Audio.CODEC
  • EAX® Advanced™ HD 5.0
  • THX® TruStudio PRO™
  • X-Fi® Xtreme Fidelity™
  • Creative® ALchemy
Panel Jack-Retask
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...X-Fi-MB2-EXPERIENCE-including-Optical-OUT-5-1

I doubt it's just a faulty contact. When I plugged the soundbar to the front, the same issue arises so it could either be a faulty chip or a driver bug. I even downgraded the drivers to an earlier version but the same problems persist. When I plug in my HyperX Wireless Headset though (that uses USB dongles) the Headset just sounds fine.

Sniper2008009

Honorable
Apr 11, 2016
MB has
Audio.CODEC
  • EAX® Advanced™ HD 5.0
  • THX® TruStudio PRO™
  • X-Fi® Xtreme Fidelity™
  • Creative® ALchemy
Panel Jack-Retask

I just retested and plugged the soundbar to the front of the PC jack. It now works. It's might be a faulty contact on the MB's side. How do I fix this? I can't follow this guide anymore as these are old drivers and Windows 10 rejects the installation for some reason.

Last edited:
I just retested and plugged the soundbar to the front of the PC jack. It now works. It's might be a faulty contact on the MB's side. How do I fix this? I can't follow this guide anymore as these are old drivers and Windows 10 rejects the installation for some reason.
Back and front speaker and microphone in and out are tied to same circuit so most probably you have faulty receptacle. It's built on and soldered to MB so repair and replacing are very difficult.