[SOLVED] Specific drive not visible, only visible on specific motherboard ?

Aug 17, 2021
I have an ironwolf 8tb drive:
In my main pc (5900x, Asus b550-f) it shows up fine; I can see it directly in windows, view what's on it, use it completely normally.

However, in my server pc (3770, MSI Z68-g45 b3) it doesn't show up at all - not even visible in BIOS. I can feel and hear the drive spin up.
All the other drives I plug into my server pc motherboard work fine. It's only this one motherboard not detecting this one drive.
I've tried swapping power and sata cables, tried every port, changed bios versions, etc. The bios just says no drives connected at all.
It used to work on this motherboard no issue for a few months since i got them both and I've not changed anything (that I know of).

What other testing options do I have from here? It seems very very odd that only this set combination of a specfic motherboard with a specific drive is failing, which is making it quite hard to troubleshoot.
Any help is very, very much appreciated!

Solution
In my main pc (5900x, Asus b550-f) it shows up fine; I can see it directly in windows, view what's on it, use it completely normally.

However, in my server pc (3770, MSI Z68-g45 b3) it doesn't show up at all - not even visible in BIOS. I can feel and hear the drive spin up.
All the other drives I plug into my server pc motherboard work fine. It's only this one motherboard not detecting this one drive.
I've tried swapping power and sata cables, tried every port, changed bios versions, etc. The bios just says no drives connected at all.
It used to work on this motherboard no issue for a few months since i got them both and I've not changed anything (that I know of).

What other testing options do I have...

What other testing options do I have from here? It seems very very odd that only this set combination of a specfic motherboard with a specific drive is failing, which is making it quite hard to troubleshoot.
Any help is very, very much appreciated!
so with the latest version of bios, did you turned on the sata mode into ahci? if you tried 4tb drive and it detected, then 8tb drive is not detected, it might be the motherboard didn't support 8tb drive.

Solution
Aug 17, 2021
so with the latest version of bios, did you turned on the sata mode into ahci? if you tried 4tb drive and it detected, then 8tb drive is not detected, it might be the motherboard didn't support 8tb drive.
Can confirm had tried IDE and AHCI, same issue with both ones. 3tb/2tb and 500gb SSD are always detected, however it used to work fine with the 8tb drive. I haven't changed anything that I know of and it's suddenly just gone poof.

Aug 17, 2021
used the sata 3 port for 8tb+? make sure ahci is the sata mode, UEFI only and CSM is disabled, and see if it could detect.
no luck with sata3 :(
Tried also sata set to AHCI.

I can't seem to find any CSM options. this is a fairly older mobo so I'm not sure if it has it or not. Had a dig around and couldn't find anything related.

Aug 17, 2021
Tried with all the different legacy/window supports I could find but still no luck. Seems really weird, I haven't knowingly changed any bios settings from when it was working and it's just stopped :/
Might just have to go whole new mobo/cpu :mad:
In case it is any help, this server is running proxmox which boots fine off the SSD it is install on.