Question SSDs for Windows 7 ?

Jul 9, 2024
So I'm going to have to split this into a few different questions.

My Windows 7 computer I never had issues before it was taken apart 2 1/2 years ago before I moved & it started crashing upto 4 times a day a few months after it was put together in Mexico.

I didn't start or use it right after they put it together because I didn't have a desk so I can't even take it back to that store.

We've ruled out the memory after testing it with memtest, and I took it to a computer store in Mexico who I also don't trust, & he gave me conflicting reasons for the crashing.

I told him I had problems putting USD devices in some of the USB ports, to then he said it's the MB & the USB ports. Another explanation was that it had something to do with the energy or static or something.

Then he couldn't install Win 10 on it & he blamed that on the HD saying it had too many writes on it.

My assumption is the other computer store didn't put it back together properly. I remember something about how you have to hold onto the side of the case when installing something & I think he shorted something.

Based on my website coder's recommendation who made 2 mistakes with the MB b/c it's a brand no one has heard of before & he didn't tell me I would have to switch to Win 10, PLUS he gave me a gamer one that I have no need for even though I'm a power user, so I just spent more money I didn't have.

I have already purchased the new MB, CPU & memory. That's when I found out I can't use the MB with Win 7 which I wanted to stick with & no I don't care about anything to do with end of life.

First I want to see if this Win 7 computer issue is the HD or the MB, so I want to buy another SSD which I will need for the new computer anyway, but then someone was mentioning nvme as a better alternative to the SSD.

So my first question is, can I get any SSD to at least test the Win 7 to see if that's what the issue was in the end? Someone told me new SSDs don't work with Win 7 & someone else said that's ridiculous.

I don't want to have to rebuy the old SSD I currently have because it doesn't have as many writes and space on it as a new one.

Thanks

I found out I can't use the MB with Win 7 which I wanted to stick with

What are your best reasons for believing that?

If your parts are NOT outright defective, that would be unusual.

It might help if you give us a full list of the parts in this PC...brand name, model number etc. For the motherboard and CPU at a minimum.

Otherwise, we don't have much to go on.

The issue with nvme on windows 7 will be the mobo, a mobo of the age that can run windows 7 without issues won't have an nvme slot.

To test the system by circumventing the storage you can boot into linux from a usb stick or a dvd drive and do all sorts of testing from that.

First off can you give us your full system specs for the computer, need make and model of each. The more specific on each part the better.

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
GPU
Power supply

If you can take a picture of the inside of the computer that would help out as well. You can make a free account on imgur.com and upload the picture there, it will then give you a link to add to your post that will show us the picture.

For testing any standard sata SSD will work.

Jul 9, 2024
What are your best reasons for believing that?

If your parts are NOT outright defective, that would be unusual.

It might help if you give us a full list of the parts in this PC...brand name, model number etc. For the motherboard and CPU at a minimum.

Otherwise, we don't have much to go on.

He showed me on the new MB box. This is what they are doing now. They are going to make it so your new hardware doesn't work with Windows. That's what they are going to do with Win 11 & 12 eventually.

The new hardware is brand new. The hardware in my Win 7 case where the computer keeps crashing is older hardware.

I gave you a speccy a minute ago.

Thanks

Jul 9, 2024
The issue with nvme on windows 7 will be the mobo, a mobo of the age that can run windows 7 without issues won't have an nvme slot.

To test the system by circumventing the storage you can boot into linux from a usb stick or a dvd drive and do all sorts of testing from that.

Yeh I wasn't going to get the nvme for the Win 7 computer, rather the Win 10 computer because I'm being forced to use Win 10 with that new MB.

I can't test using Linux b/c I'd have to actually work on the computer for 1-3 days to see if it still crashes, & I can't do that without my software.

It doesn't crash all the time, like right now (thank gawd) it's working, but on Sunday it crashed 6 times before it stopped.

I also think it may be one Brave profile (I have several.) I haven't started it up & I'm too nervous to launch it.

Re: the nvme, I was told it's roughly the same price as an SSD, is that true?

And it will make the computer run faster?

How come almost no one knows about nvme unless they are in the US or something.

I gave you the MB, can you please tell me if the nvme will run on that?

Thanks

Jul 9, 2024
First off can you give us your full system specs for the computer, need make and model of each. The more specific on each part the better.

CPU
Motherboard
RAM
GPU
Power supply

If you can take a picture of the inside of the computer that would help out as well. You can make a free account on imgur.com and upload the picture there, it will then give you a link to add to your post that will show us the picture.

For testing any standard sata SSD will work.

Ok, I provided it above.

No, I don't want to open up the case, please don't make me do that LOL

Well the SSD isn't just for testing, I need it so I can get my new MB, CPU & memory up & working. The power supply is fine, I just bought it last year. It's a 500 I think.

But here's the thing, I don't want to have to pay for an expensive SSD just to test the current Win 7 computer if I'm going to get the nvme. If I'm getting the nvme, then I should probably just buy a cheaper SSD (maybe even the one I bought before, it's $37 on Amazon) to test it.

And I still need to know if ALL SSDs work with Win 7 b/c I'm getting conflicting answers.

Thanks

My Windows 7 computer I never had issues before it was taken apart 2 1/2 years ago before I moved & it started crashing upto 4 times a day
What crashing? How does it present itself? Do you get any BSODs?
Can you show a screenshot (of BSOD)?
Then he couldn't install Win 10 on it & he blamed that on the HD saying it had too many writes on it.
SSD may have failed.
I have already purchased the new MB, CPU & memory.
That's not enough to build a pc.
You'll need also
pc case,​
PSU​
graphics card,​
OS drive (HDD or SSD).​
That's when I found out I can't use the MB with Win 7 which I wanted to stick with & no I don't care about anything to do with end of life.
You could. But installing windows 7 on modern hardware is not trivial.
You have to integrate USB drivers into installation,
install convenience rollup update and
several hotfixes.
Just install windows 10. It's way easier.
I want to buy another SSD which I will need for the new computer anyway
So my first question is, can I get any SSD to at least test the Win 7 to see if that's what the issue was in the end?
Any SATA SSD would be fine.
Crucial MX500 2.5" would be ok choice. Fully compatible with your old and new pc.

No, I don't want to open up the case, please don't make me do that LOL
You'll have to do that anyway, when you're going to put new drive into the pc and install windows 7.
The power supply is fine, I just bought it last year. It's a 500 I think.
What is model name of PSU? Read model name from info label printed on PSU.

Reactions: thestryker
So I'm going to have to split this into a few different questions.

My Windows 7 computer I never had issues before it was taken apart 2 1/2 years ago before I moved & it started crashing upto 4 times a day a few months after it was put together in Mexico.

I didn't start or use it right after they put it together because I didn't have a desk so I can't even take it back to that store.

We've ruled out the memory after testing it with memtest, and I took it to a computer store in Mexico who I also don't trust, & he gave me conflicting reasons for the crashing.

I told him I had problems putting USD devices in some of the USB ports, to then he said it's the MB & the USB ports. Another explanation was that it had something to do with the energy or static or something.

My assumption is the other computer store didn't put it back together properly. I remember something about how you have to hold onto the side of the case when installing something & I think he shorted something.

Based on my website coder's recommendation who made 2 mistakes with the MB b/c it's a brand no one has heard of before & he didn't tell me I would have to switch to Win 10, PLUS he gave me a gamer one that I have no need for even though I'm a power user, so I just spent more money I didn't have.

I have already purchased the new MB, CPU & memory. That's when I found out I can't use the MB with Win 7 which I wanted to stick with & no I don't care about anything to do with end of life.

First I want to see if this Win 7 computer issue is the HD or the MB, so I want to buy another SSD which I will need for the new computer anyway, but then someone was mentioning nvme as a better alternative to the SSD.

So my first question is, can I get any SSD to at least test the Win 7 to see if that's what the issue was in the end? Someone told me new SSDs don't work with Win 7 & someone else said that's ridiculous.

I don't want to have to rebuy the old SSD I currently have because it doesn't have as many writes and space on it as a new one.

Thanks
Keep it simple.
Replace the orig small ssd with a new larger 2.5 ssd.

You can move the new ssd to a different machine later.

Reactions: thestryker
Jul 9, 2024
Keep it simple.
Replace the orig small ssd with a new larger 2.5 ssd.

You can move the new ssd to a different machine later.

Well that's what I wanted to do, but someone said it wouldn't work on Win 7 which is why I was asking here.

This is the one that was recommended to me, is it ok? https://a.co/d/04VRm0I0

I'm in Mexico right now, so I prefer to buy from them only because I won't have to pay for duty, taxes & a package forwarding company.

Thanks

Well that's what I wanted to do, but someone said it wouldn't work on Win 7 which is why I was asking here.
You'd have problems with nvme M.2 drives.
Windows 7 doesn't natively support NVME.
It's perfectly fine with any sata drives (HDDs or SSDs).
This is the one that was recommended to me, is it ok? https://a.co/d/04VRm0I0
Nah. I'd stay away from Kingston.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Crucial-Disco-Interno-CT500MX500SSD1-NAND/dp/B0786QNS9B/ref=sr_1_1?th=1

Jul 9, 2024
What crashing? How does it present itself? Do you get any BSODs?
Can you show a screenshot (of BSOD)?

SSD may have failed.

That's not enough to build a pc.
You'll need also
pc case,​
PSU​
graphics card,​
OS drive (HDD or SSD).​

You could. But installing windows 7 on modern hardware is not trivial.
You have to integrate USB drivers into installation,
install convenience rollup update and
several hotfixes.
Just install windows 10. It's way easier.

Any SATA SSD would be fine.
Crucial MX500 2.5" would be ok choice. Fully compatible with your old and new pc.

You'll have to do that anyway, when you're going to put new drive into the pc and install windows 7.

What is model name of PSU? Read model name from info label printed on PSU.

I don't have a SS of the BSOD. I don't have my cell phone near me at my desk & it goes by way too fast. At the bottom it says it's dumping memory. That's all I remember.

Yes, on another forum people have already said that they think the SSD needs to be replaced which is why I asked about the SSD.

So the only thing that makes installing Win 7 is the MB, not the SSD?

I already have the power supply & graphics card in the current computer.

I was going to use this case, but because it's too small & I have a lot of HDs, I'm going to have to buy another bigger one, but I hate those ones with the heavy side panel that is see-through. I do not need to see the inside of my computer.

I had a Rockwell from newegg & had to leave it behind when I moved & they no longer make them & it would be expensive to ship it here in Mexico.

What's the max amount of HDs one should put in a case? And how many fans?

This is the SSD that was recommended to me. https://a.co/d/04VRm0I0

No I didn't want to install Win 10, but b/c of the MB, I guess I have no choice, although I'm not going to go back to this guy. I no longer trust him. He changed his mind 3 times about what was the reason for my crashes.

Here's the power supply I have in the computer - https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B07NPKD38F?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I'm off to bed now. I'll check tomorrow.

Thanks

Jul 9, 2024
You'd have problems with nvme M.2 drives.
Windows 7 doesn't natively support NVME.
It's perfectly fine with any sata drives (HDDs or SSDs).

Nah. I'd stay away from Kingston.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Crucial-Disco-Interno-CT500MX500SSD1-NAND/dp/B0786QNS9B/ref=sr_1_1?th=1

What's wrong with Kingston HDs?

So which do you recommend?

I am not going to buy the NVME for the Win 7 machine, only the Win 10 machine. My question was, which kind do I buy that fits with that new MB, & will it be roughly the same price as an SSD?

Thanks

USAFRet

Titan
Try to discover the problem, before applying a solution.
It looks like several of the people you've consulted are pretty clueless.

If you're staying with the same era (Win 7) motherboard, just go to 2.5" SATA III SSD.

If you're building a whole new system for Win 10/11, go for NVMe drive(s).

So the only thing that makes installing Win 7 is the MB, not the SSD?
Didn't understand that.
What's wrong with Kingston HDs?
Cheap, inferior, questionable quality SSDs.
BTW - Kingston doesn't make HDDs.
So which do you recommend?
Suggestion was in link at post #13.
I am not going to buy the NVME for the Win 7 machine, only the Win 10 machine. My question was, which kind do I buy that fits with that new MB, & will it be roughly the same price as an SSD?
Samsung 970 evo/evo plus
Will be a bit more expensive though.

Jul 9, 2024
Try to discover the problem, before applying a solution.
It looks like several of the people you've consulted are pretty clueless.

If you're staying with the same era (Win 7) motherboard, just go to 2.5" SATA III SSD.

If you're building a whole new system for Win 10/11, go for NVMe drive(s).

I'm trying to find out why the Win 7 machine is crashing & that's why I wanted to make sure if I purchase an SSD to test to see if it's the SSD causing the problems, that it will work on Win 7 because some people (not on here) said it won't work b/c it's newer hardware.

I also wanted to make sure the NVMe drive will work with the new MB I purchased.

Can you please LMK :)

I provided links above to all hardware in the case (Win 7), & loose to be put in a case & I was told I'd have to install Win 10 b/c the new MB won't work with Win 7, correct?

Thanks a ton

USAFRet

Titan
I'm trying to find out why the Win 7 machine is crashing & that's why I wanted to make sure if I purchase an SSD to test to see if it's the SSD causing the problems, that it will work on Win 7 because some people (not on here) said it won't work b/c it's newer hardware.

I also wanted to make sure the NVMe drive will work with the new MB I purchased.

Can you please LMK :)

I provided links above to all hardware in the case (Win 7), & loose to be put in a case & I was told I'd have to install Win 10 b/c the new MB won't work with Win 7, correct?

Thanks a ton
The new motherboard will work with Win 10, and the NVMe.