Question SSDs keep losing connection after connecting/disconnecting ?

May 17, 2023
Hello everyone, my name is Tommy.
I am a data analyst in a railway safety company. We measure data on the railway that is then used by customers to ensure preventive safety. However, I am having a problem. Because it concerns large numbers of data, we receive physical disks that we then have to process. For this we use brackets that are mounted on the front of the PC with the use of a Sata controller (from ICY DOCK).

If my computer has just started up, nothing is wrong. All disks are recognized as usual, if I remove them safely and put new disks in the brackets, they are also recognized. Everything works as it should work until at some inexplicable moment the disks are no longer recognized. When I put new SSD drives in the bracket, they are not recognized. Not even in Disk Management. It is impossible for me to connect to the SSD drives. The only thing that helps at that moment is restarting my computer. Then the disks in the computer are immediately recognized.

What I've already tried:
- I have switched the SATA settings from RAID to AHCI in the BIOS
- I downloaded a tool to safely remove the drives before disconnecting them.
- I used different computers. All my colleagues suffer from this. Previously this problem was never there (about 1 year ago) then we all got it at the same time. We have 1 computer that works on Windows 7 (to secure erase the disks, since Samsung Magician only works on Windows 7). The Windows 7 computer does not suffer from disks that are not recognized. There is no other software on it than Samsung Magician. The rest of the computers use many tools created by our team software. Could it be that one of the tools or an update of one of the tools is causing this problem?

It's strange that the problem started happening on all computers sort of at the same time. I hope someone can give me an idea to further investigate this problem because I'm a bit stuck at the moment. Is there a way to check if certain software blocks access to the SSD drives after a certain time? When the computer starts up everything works fine, but after changing disks a few times, they are no longer recognized.

Thanks in advance for reading and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

PS. When I connect the exact same ssd that is not recognized via USB with a USB to SATA cable, it is recognized 100% every time. And often when i disconnect an SSD from the bracket is still is sort of visible in the explorer. I cant open it ofcourse since it is not connected, but it shows that the SSD is there.

Yours sincerely, Tommy

Hello everyone, my name is Tommy.
I am a data analyst in a railway safety company. We measure data on the railway that is then used by customers to ensure preventive safety. However, I am having a problem. Because it concerns large numbers of data, we receive physical disks that we then have to process. For this we use brackets that are mounted on the front of the PC with the use of a Sata controller (from ICY DOCK).

If my computer has just started up, nothing is wrong. All disks are recognized as usual, if I remove them safely and put new disks in the brackets, they are also recognized. Everything works as it should work until at some inexplicable moment the disks are no longer recognized. When I put new SSD drives in the bracket, they are not recognized. Not even in Disk Management. It is impossible for me to connect to the SSD drives. The only thing that helps at that moment is restarting my computer. Then the disks in the computer are immediately recognized.

What I've already tried:
- I have switched the SATA settings from RAID to AHCI in the BIOS
- I downloaded a tool to safely remove the drives before disconnecting them.
- I used different computers. All my colleagues suffer from this. Previously this problem was never there (about 1 year ago) then we all got it at the same time. We have 1 computer that works on Windows 7 (to secure erase the disks, since Samsung Magician only works on Windows 7). The Windows 7 computer does not suffer from disks that are not recognized. There is no other software on it than Samsung Magician. The rest of the computers use many tools created by our team software. Could it be that one of the tools or an update of one of the tools is causing this problem?

It's strange that the problem started happening on all computers sort of at the same time. I hope someone can give me an idea to further investigate this problem because I'm a bit stuck at the moment. Is there a way to check if certain software blocks access to the SSD drives after a certain time? When the computer starts up everything works fine, but after changing disks a few times, they are no longer recognized.

Thanks in advance for reading and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

PS. When I connect the exact same ssd that is not recognized via USB with a USB to SATA cable, it is recognized 100% every time. And often when i disconnect an SSD from the bracket is still is sort of visible in the explorer. I cant open it ofcourse since it is not connected, but it shows that the SSD is there.

Yours sincerely, Tommy
The dock that you are using I promise is going to be you in lane problem, seeing as how the dock system has the issue, USB to sata doesn't your problem is in the dock. There may have been a windows update that is causing miss reads from the station to the pc. That isn't interrupted using sata to USB but dock then the dock deciphered then to the pc there's is a communication problem

May 17, 2023
The dock that you are using I promise is going to be you in lane problem, seeing as how the dock system has the issue, USB to sata doesn't your problem is in the dock. There may have been a windows update that is causing miss reads from the station to the pc. That isn't interrupted using sata to USB but dock then the dock deciphered then to the pc there's is a communication problem
In other words, i can't fix this until Microsoft brings out an update that will fix this?

May 17, 2023
Is it explainable that everything works fine when the computer is just started. I should add that our computers sometimes stay on for days at a time. But the problem usually starts after about 2 hours. Everything works fine before that.

Is it explainable that everything works fine when the computer is just started. I should add that our computers sometimes stay on for days at a time. But the problem usually starts after about 2 hours. Everything works fine before that.
Sounds like something a anti virus would do, blocking data transfer after x amount of time doing routine background scans and thinking it's data theft blocking the docking stations