[SOLVED] Steam won't recognize my installed games

Feb 18, 2019
I recently bought a new SSD and did a clean install of windows 10 on it but while doing that i had to wipe the HDD with windows already on it, this HDD also had steam installed on it. So i bootted into windows and installed steam again but when i launched steam i notices that it said that none of my games were installed so i looked on the other HDD i have installed on my computer and saw that all my games were there but steam still said they were uninstalled. So i tried to "install" one of the games i had hoping it would notice that i had it already installed but it started downloading it again. so i tried to switch the steam directory and that didn't work and just moving them to the steam directory on the SSD isn't an option because its only 250GB and i have just under a TB of games installed if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know, Thanks.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You are going to have to reinstall your games. As far as Windows and Steam are concerned they no longer exist. Even if on a different HDD, Windows (and therefor Steam) can't find them as they are not installed properly.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2019
i have already tried to change the steam library but when i do it says that there is already a steam library on that drive and i tried to delete the library and make a new one but it is the default one

Feb 18, 2019
i moved a game to the default directory and then clicked install and it said discovering files that already exist so i think i found a way to fix it thanks