[SOLVED] Stock open-air 3 fan VS 120mm Aftermarket AIO GPU cooler

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
I've got a question for you guys, expert or anthusiast, or maybe you just happen to know the answer to my question

So I've decided to get a 3080 Ti, due to various reason, but mostly because on my area the lower cards (3070 Ti, 3070, 3060Ti) are being sold higher than MSRP, and I just happen to get deal on 3080 Ti that's lower than MSRP (lucky me).

Thing is, the card that I bought (and on shipping) is going to be the standard / like the other 3080 Ti non-reference model, open-air with 3 fan cooler.
I don't have anything against open-air, nor the problem is it's with 3 fan cooler.
Well, the problem does caused by it's with 3 fan cooler, but not because I hate it, but because it can't fully fitted in my case.

I could make it work though, but it cost me (or my case) the front panel to be removed while the card is installed.
Bothered with it, I have to decide whether to buy a new larger case, which is sucks since this case actually was not that old with me (bought it on march or feb kinda forgot),
or I just have to cope with it.

Then comes my friend, said I should get aftermarket cooler that could fit inside my case.
With that said, I've done my quick research and found out that I would need aftermarket AIO (no, not NZXT Kraken G12 since I can't afford much).
Found out that my best bet would be ID-Cooling Frostflow 120VGA, a compact 120mm AIO.

My question is, will a 120mm AIO works as good or better than a stock open-air 3 fan cooler?

P.S: The GPU will be vertically mounted, not because I want to but because it can't fit inside the case without it being so.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/134/name/FROSTFLOW 120VGA
Is there a more up to date Specification list for this somewhere else? RTX 20 and RX 5000 are the last models mentioned on the official site.
Is there some jerry-rigged method to fit it on RTX 30?

Also, on the overview page, right under Compatibility:
1)Suggested for VGA cards with MOS on the right side.
That beefy card has MOSfets on both sides.

2)Suggested for VGA cards with built in MOS heatsink(otherwise, the MOS will overheat).
I looked at a few gpu teardowns... none of them have heatsinks.

My question is, will a 120mm AIO works as good or better than a stock open-air 3 fan cooler?
No... well, not that kind of gpu AIO at least. It's focused on the gpu die, and provides little cooling to everything else on the PCB.
The open air model cools the die, MOS, memory - the whole caboose.

Last edited:

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
http://www.idcooling.com/Product/detail/id/134/name/FROSTFLOW 120VGA
Is there a more up to date Specification list for this somewhere else? RTX 20 and RX 5000 are the last models mentioned on the official site.
Is there some jerry-rigged method to fit it on RTX 30?

Also, on the overview page, right under Compatibility:
1)Suggested for VGA cards with MOS on the right side.
That beefy card has MOSfets on both sides.

2)Suggested for VGA cards with built in MOS heatsink(otherwise, the MOS will overheat).
I looked at a few gpu teardowns... none of them have heatsinks.

No... well, not that kind of gpu AIO at least. It's focused on the gpu die, and provides little cooling to everything else on the PCB.
The open air model cools the die, MOS, memory - the whole caboose.
Oh, didn't know that
So it's technically incompatible with 3080 Ti, or maybe the whole RTX 30 lineup

Then do you have a recommendation on cooler? Honestly it doesn't have to be AIO.
It just happened that AIO took the least space so they got in range.
Or do you suggest that I keep using the stock cooler and change case / cope with it instead?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
A new case is a lot cheaper than fitting a new cooler to a GPU.

That is a 350W part, it is not to be taken lightly. Even a 120mm would not have been enough, it would have worked, but the card would likely not have performed as well as it could.

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
I would just buy a new case, probably cost less even.
A new case is a lot cheaper than fitting a new cooler to a GPU.

That is a 350W part, it is not to be taken lightly. Even a 120mm would not have been enough, it would have worked, but the card would likely not have performed as well as it could.
You guys have a suggestion on case then?
I can't spend much since I've spent most on 3080 Ti, but the thing is I need it to be tall (or long) since I also need to fit a 360mm AIO radiator
BTW my motherboard is full ATX (MSI X570-A PRO)

dnm_13

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Corsair 4000D Airflow looks like it will fit the bill. Relatively cheap, supports the longest 3080Ti on the market.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/bCYQzy/corsair-4000d-airflow-atx-mid-tower-case-cc-9011200-ww

If you wanted to be a little cheaper this might be worth a go:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/b9...mesh-atx-mid-tower-case-dp-atx-matrexx55-mesh
Too bad the matrexx is not available on my area, don't want to pay extra cost for shipping something so heavy

The 4000D was a solid recommendation though, although still feel a little bit costly, but I'll take it if I can't find another cheaper alternative

Too bad this case must go, but I guess it's for the best
Thanks!