[SOLVED] Storage drives not recognized in Device Manager or Disk Management ?

GSF2021

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
Hey everyone.

A very long time ago, I got an M.2 SSD, plugged it in, and continued on with my life. Then I upgraded my RAM, put my PC back together, and suddenly one of my HDDs wasn't registering.

Weird. Unplugged it and inserted it again. Nothing. Tried different SATA cables, nothing. Got the idea to unplug another SSD... suddenly my HDD is recognized.

It seems my PC only has the capacity to recognize one internal, non M.2 drive. Either my SSD, or my HDD. I've heard of certain slots on the motherboard not being able to be used when plugging in a M.2, and my manual does explain which ones are deactivated, but none of the slots work at all.

Is this an issue with the motherboard? The manual states theres 8x SATA ports, and I can't find anything that the ASUS Tuf has SATA ports disabled when using an M.2.
My gut assumption is that this is a BIOS problem.

Has anyone gone through something similar? I'm not familiar with BIOS and would really access to the other half of my storage space.

Specs (ASUS TUF Motherboard, AMD CPU, MSI GPU)
Motherboard Manual

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you still have the old ram?

Just thinking, it was the change that set it off, could swap old back in and see if drives work again.
proof it can happen - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...e-slot-not-working-hard-drive-not-recognized/

I assume drives not set to RAID in bios, that would be random change if all you did was upgrade ram though. Not sure if BIOS should reset settings if no ram in, CMOS should save those.

Last edited:
Solution

GSF2021

Prominent
Jun 7, 2021
do you still have the old ram?

Just thinking, it was the change that set it off, could swap old back in and see if drives work again.
proof it can happen - https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...e-slot-not-working-hard-drive-not-recognized/

I assume drives not set to RAID in bios, that would be random change if all you did was upgrade ram though. Not sure if BIOS should reset settings if no ram in, CMOS should save those.

Unfortunately not... I could technically get it back, but it would be a pretty big hassle.
I'm going to try and dig through BIOS tomorrow to see if that has something to do with it. My second guess is maybe a PSU problem, but its brand new and should be more than enough, even with 4 sticks of ram.

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you got 2 sets of ram in the PC?
OLOy WarHawk RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000 (PC4 32000) Desktop Memory Model MD4U0840180BCWDX
is listed twice

Try taking 1 set of 16 out and see if that makes any difference, mixing sets can have odd results. Even if they exact same sticks, they aren't tested to all run together. 2 sticks were, 4 not so much

what speed you running ram at? 3600 is best for that motherboard.

Last edited: