stephengurnavage

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
Not sure how to delete this or mark as solved but I figured it out with more research and it looks like I am fine to use the stronger adapter.

So I have this HP pavilion 32q monitor from a room mate but after weeks of searching we cant find the power cord anywhere. It is 27 inch, 1440p and freesynch.

I found a power cord that will fit it but it gives much more power. Its a brick and cord with 19.5v / 11.5amps / over 200 watts

When I look online for replacement cords for the monitor I find ones that are all 19.5v but the amps vary and of course the wattage does since the amps do. Some come out to 90w and others 135w and so on.

HPs specs for it says it never consumes over 72w but ive never seen a 72w charger and am wondering if it will just take what it needs and i can use this more powerful one.

Will this break the monitor? Start a fire? Work amazingly?

Last edited:
I'm assuming your research came to the conclusion that the monitor only uses the power that's needed and the power brick just has extra capacity that won't be used. As long as voltage output is the same, the amp draw is what changes. Power usage varies depending on what's on screen, like red uses less power than blue and higher brightness is more power, so even the stock rated power brick would be using less than full capacity most of the time.

We don't like to delete threads since the info can be useful for anyone else searching for the issue and the question post itself can't be selected as best answer.

Last edited:

stephengurnavage

Prominent
Oct 31, 2017
I'm assuming your research came to the conclusion that the monitor only uses the power that's needed and the power brick just has extra capacity that won't be used. As long as voltage output is the same, the amp draw is what changes. Power usage varies depending on what's on screen, like red uses less power than blue and higher brightness is more power, so even the stock rated power brick would be using less than full capacity most of the time.

We don't like to delete threads since the info can be useful for anyone else searching for the issue and the question post itself can't be selected as best answer.
Yes, that is what I came to. I knew that was how it worked with laptops but was unsure if it held true even when the power was doubled and it does.

You are never going to suffer when a power source can provide more current than the device is rated to consume; and, in fact are oftentimes in a better situation when you have a power source that is capable of providing about double the current that the device will draw.

Pulling current at half the sourcing capacity of the power source allows the power source to run cooler, with a very reasonable safety margin on its operational maximums, and a more consistent output.

Power supplies that are lightly loaded in this way generally last longer, and provide more consistent voltage levels to the devices connected to them, which is of benefit to the attached device as well.

Save money. Avoid hassles. Prevent damage from occurring.

These are never bad things.

Power ratings on power bricks are a bit different than psus. You never see the 50% rule applied to power bricks. Most of the time the power brick is near full capacity which is fine but you wouldn't do that and expect a psu to live for long.