Question Stuck on "Repairing disk errors"

Aug 27, 2019
TL;DR: Stuck on "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete" for three hours, don't know how to fix

So last night my PC shut down suddenly due to running out of electric in my house though I didn't really think much of it and just waited until the next day to use it again.

So today I've switched it on, and it was giving me "Critical error start menu not working" and the network wouldn't open either. So from past experience, my issues have always been solved by uninstalling antivirus, so I did that and restarted, and it didn't solve anything. Though it did go through a repairing C: Drive at start up which lasted about 5 minutes

However when it finally loaded and I logged in, it was saying it couldn't sign into my windows 10 account and the personalisation settings were all set to their defaults and most of my thumbnails gone. I didn't have time to go through my files to see if my files were gone or anything or whatever, as I clicked a pop up for the drive to repair.

It then started doing the same C:Drive repair which had an ETA of nearly 200 hours, so after a few I gave up and turned it off, and following the advice of a friend I unplugged my HDD and SSD and cleaned out any dust, plugged them back in and turned on the PC again, which then got me to "Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete."

I let it do its thing until now, over three hours later I thought I'd just restart it once more and if nothing seems to work an hour later, I'll switch it off and give up for the night. But I've got all my uni work on the HDD (which I assume is where the problem is coming from) and I kinda gotta get that done before summer's over and don't have time to waste.

So in that case, if anyone has any idea of what's wrong or any tips on how to fix it, they'll be much appreciated!!

Aug 27, 2019
I guess the OS files crash during the electric outage. You may try to use the startup repair method. If you can't , you will need to reinstall the OS.
How to https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-startup-repair-fix-boot-problems-windows-10

Thank you. I've attempted to do the advance startup repair method with a USB however once clicking on startup repair, it says "Startup repair couldn't repair your PC" so I presume that means it can't find anything to fix. I'm unsure what to do next as the PC still won't boot up correctly. Should I attempt to reinstall Windows 10 from the USB?

I tried to install windows from the USB however it's saying that it can't install windows onto any of the drives.
And you need to test the HDD/SSD in other computer to see these drivers are fine or not.
Also you need to test your PC to see any parts were damaged or not during the electric outage. If you don't have any compatible parts, then you need to ask someone for help, your friend, local PC shop.