Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin_77

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
Hey.
I am experiencing some stutter while playing GTA V, especially while flying/driving fast. I believe this may have to do with the amount it has to render in one go, as I reach some parts that aren't even rendered in yet. This is one of my most common lag points. On some of the harder lag spikes, sometimes I even disconnect from the online server that I am in, which is extremely frustrating, as this is not an internet issue. I believe that it is completely a FPS issue.

Now my computer meets recommended specs for GTA V that are listed in steam. In fact, they are quite a substantial way above that. These are my specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 8GB
HDD: More than enough space
(I have ethernet)

Despite this, I still tried setting all the graphics options to the lowest possible. This did not help.
I notice that when I play, and especially when I lag, my HDD reaches 100%. I am not sure if this has any correlation to lag at all, but I though I'd mention it.
On that note, I do not have an SSD in my build, and I was wondering if that may solve my issue?
My RAM also reaches around 7GB usage while playing, despite being on the nose with the recommended specs for GTA V.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to solve these lag spikes? Is something bottlenecking in my system?
The only solutions I can think of could be to add another RAM stick, or get an SSD to put GTA V on.

Thanks for all the help!

Solution
Yes, for me it's a ram problem. There are lots of games that use upward of 8gbs system ram gaming at 1080p. GTA V is one of them. Your ram may be at 7gbs usage, but that means your 8gb is maxed out (some memory is reserved for hardware). So when your 8gbs is full, it uses the swap/page file on your HDD to store data (and access it). This causes the frame stuttering and drops, as your CPU has to read data from the HDD instead of your fast system ram. This is why your HDD is pegged at 100% usage, because the CPU/GPU is writing to the HDD.

Gettina 2 x 8gb matched kit and replacing your ram should solve the issue.
Yes, for me it's a ram problem. There are lots of games that use upward of 8gbs system ram gaming at 1080p. GTA V is one of them. Your ram may be at 7gbs usage, but that means your 8gb is maxed out (some memory is reserved for hardware). So when your 8gbs is full, it uses the swap/page file on your HDD to store data (and access it). This causes the frame stuttering and drops, as your CPU has to read data from the HDD instead of your fast system ram. This is why your HDD is pegged at 100% usage, because the CPU/GPU is writing to the HDD.

Reactions: Benjamin_77
Solution
Jul 28, 2019
Hey.
I am experiencing some stutter while playing GTA V, especially while flying/driving fast. I believe this may have to do with the amount it has to render in one go, as I reach some parts that aren't even rendered in yet. This is one of my most common lag points. On some of the harder lag spikes, sometimes I even disconnect from the online server that I am in, which is extremely frustrating, as this is not an internet issue. I believe that it is completely a FPS issue.

Now my computer meets recommended specs for GTA V that are listed in steam. In fact, they are quite a substantial way above that. These are my specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
RAM: 8GB
HDD: More than enough space
(I have ethernet)

Despite this, I still tried setting all the graphics options to the lowest possible. This did not help.
I notice that when I play, and especially when I lag, my HDD reaches 100%. I am not sure if this has any correlation to lag at all, but I though I'd mention it.
On that note, I do not have an SSD in my build, and I was wondering if that may solve my issue?
My RAM also reaches around 7GB usage while playing, despite being on the nose with the recommended specs for GTA V.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I could do to solve these lag spikes? Is something bottlenecking in my system?
The only solutions I can think of could be to add another RAM stick, or get an SSD to put GTA V on.

Thanks for all the help!
Get an ssd even the cheapest 120gb and 8gb of ram and it should be good. Windows install on ssd ofc.

Benjamin_77

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017

Thanks for the reply! I'll try this, and hopefully it should work,
:)

Reactions: muzammil_ali
For Ryzen you really need to have dual channel memory. 2 x 4 or 2 x 8gb. It gives an extra 15% performance. Add to that another 10-15% performance (game dependant) if you get 3000mhz+ ram.

When you get a 'matched kit' 2 x 8gb, you can sell your 1 x 8 to offset the cost. The reason I say this is because mixing 'just another' 8gb stick in with what you currently have is not a good idea. it can be very problematic.

Edit: what mobo do you have. If it's a B350 then don't go over 3000mhz ram. Most B350 will max out at that speed and may have problems running beyond 2933. If you have a B450 mobo then compatibility will be much better, so you could get a pair of 3200mhz to really max out bandwidth and infinity fabric, on the Ryzen controller.

bignastyid

Titan
DDR4-2400, 1xGB

That's likely a big part of the problem. Ryzens needs alot of memory bandwidth to perform it's best and you are hamstringing your CPU with slow single channel ram. With Ryzen you want atleast DDR4 2933 running in dual channel.
I highly doubt an SSD will fix the issue. I(and many others) have run GTA V on a hdd just fine for years. When I moved it to an SSD the only difference I noticed is better load times, FPS and smoothness were not affected which is true of most games.

That's likely a big part of the problem. Ryzens needs alot of memory bandwidth to perform it's best and you are hamstringing your CPU with slow single channel ram. With Ryzen you want atleast DDR4 2933 running in dual channel.
I highly doubt an SSD will fix the issue. I(and many others) have run GTA V on a hdd just fine for years. When I moved it to an SSD the only difference I noticed is better load times, FPS and smoothness were not affected which is true of most games.

Agree with you there, an SSD is great for fast boot, in game load times, but has NO impact on fps in game (unless system ram is maxed and swap file is on SSD)

Benjamin_77

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
For Ryzen you really need to have dual channel memory. 2 x 4 or 2 x 8gb. It gives an extra 15% performance. Add to that another 10-15% performance (game dependant) if you get 3000mhz+ ram.

When you get a 'matched kit' 2 x 8gb, you can sell your 1 x 8 to offset the cost. The reason I say this is because mixing 'just another' 8gb stick in with what you currently have is not a good idea. it can be very problematic.

Edit: what mobo do you have. If it's a B350 then don't go over 3000mhz ram. Most B350 will max out at that speed and may have problems running beyond 2933. If you have a B450 mobo then compatibility will be much better, so you could get a pair of 3200mhz to really max out bandwidth and infinity fabric, on the Ryzen controller.
Yeah, I have a B350. Surely selling what I do have won't go for the same price I got it for, especially without original packaging? So, you're saying buy a matching 2933, 2x8gb?

Benjamin_77

Reputable
Mar 26, 2017
So, buy a matching 2933 DDR4 2x8gb. Any suggestions?

That one looks ideal. Now just gotta find the money. Any recommendations on how to sell the one I currently use well to get the most money out of it?

You can sell it online locally, is prob the best way. Yes, you won't get the value out of the sale compared to what you paid. I'd suggest knocking about a third of the price off, and working from that point down until you sell it. Facebook marketplace is a good way to sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.