[SOLVED] Swapped motherboard and now PC only boots without USB devices plugged in

Feb 18, 2022
Here is the whole story from the beginning of my build and the steps I’ve taken and the issues I’ve encountered: (if you would like to skip the story and understand my current issue that relates to the title… skip to the CURRENT ISSUE part)

back story
(FYI: I installed all necessary drivers and updated my bios)
Previously, I had an issue with my pc randomly rebooting. The pc build was the same as below except the following parts: ARESGAME 750w power supply, DDR4 32gb (4 sticks of 8) GSkill Ripjaw Ram F4-3200C16D-16GVKB, ASUS B450F Gaming II motherboard. I ended up having to switch each of these parts out as time has gone by in the past month because I was troubleshooting. My PC would completely reboot (not windows restart)… fully reboot. And once it occurred, it would become more and more frequent as I continued to run it after the reboots.

—So I first swapped out and got a new power supply (NZXT C750) because I realized I went a bit cheap with the ARESGAME brand. The new power supply didn’t change anything, so I continued to research further and I ran memtest and it failed many tests (I think several of test 8 and test 13). I found out that the rip jaw ram model I had wasn’t very cooperative with my specific asus model motherboard.
—So I got new ram that I was 100% aware was compatible (DDR4 GSkill Trident 8gb ram 3200mhz x 4). I also learned that upping the SOC voltage manually to about 1.15v could help prevent this as it helps with the chip, the memory controller, etc. I ran my pc for a day and it didn’t reboot! However, the next day it randomly rebooted. The same process of it randomly rebooting started occurring again (just a lot less often than it had before I got the new ram).
—So I came to the conclusion that it must be that my motherboard is either 1) malfunctioning or 2) because it’s not really the best model motherboard to use in the first place. I (regret not doing such but) should have gotten b550 at least for my Ryzen 7 5800x - better compatibility. Therefore, I decided to go above and beyond and research more to find the motherboards that didn’t need a bios update and was already compatible from the box with my CPU; I purchased the Aorus X570

CURRENT ISSUE
I swapped out my Asus B450f gaming II motherboard for the better Aorus X570 ELITE motherboard. I rebuilt the pc as needed…. I power it on and everything starts to physically run normally, however my screen was black. I try to power it off by my cases button and it doesn’t do anything. So I manually had to switch it off. I tried so many different things (replugging everything in and making sure it’s all tight and how it’s supposed to be). I then realized that maybe I should unplug all of my USB devices expect my keyboard/mouse. Then it booted normally and worked fine. But I’d like to have all of my usb devices plugged in and use my pc as normal (had the same # of devices that I had plugged in to my previous motherboard). I even swapped between the AresGame and NZXT power supplies and I still had the same issue (the NZXT would try twice and then go completely dead, AresGame would run the fans, lights, everything but have the black screen, etc). I looked up online and read that you can disable certain USB devices/ports on start up? But I couldn’t find those settings in my bios; for some reason I can’t get classic mode (only easy and advanced). I tried enabling ErP in the bios but that didn’t change anything. What other steps should I make? Another new power supply with more wattage???????? LMFAO. I hope not! That wouldn’t make sense because 750w should be plenty enough.

I need help because this is really frustrating and I just want a working PC. I finally have gotten to a point where I can build a new pc that runs GREAT is much better than my 7 year old pc I built in high school. Haha

Any insight or help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! Also, thank you for reading this far if you did. It means a lot!

My current build:
Aorus X570 Elite w/ Wifi Motherboard
Nvidia 3070 TI
AMD Ryzen 7 5800x
NZXT C750 power supply
DDR4 GSkill Trident 8gb ram 3200mhz x 4

Solution
do you have newest BIOS on motherboard? (I just noticed I am using that MB now)

does it matter which devices? I mean, could it be one of them is faulty and stops it communicating with others.

it seems unlikely you got a bad motherboard (though not impossible).

its pretty fundamental if it effects bios USB.

why didn't you take PC to a shop to get them to look at it instead of replacing parts on an assumption? If you have new ram, mb & PSU, it could have been one of the parts you didn't replace... like the CPU. It wouldn't be the first time I have seen someone replace everything except the broken parts.

I don't know if a bad CPU would cause that but maybe.

replacing the ARESGamer PSU was a good idea, even if it didn't fix problem.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I swapped out my Asus B450f gaming II motherboard for the better Aorus X570 ELITE motherboard. I rebuilt the pc as needed…. I power it on and everything starts to physically run normally
swapping a motherboard without reinstalling windows can lead to strange errors.
there are 3 results that can happen if you do
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but has issues
  3. it doesn't work at all.

I would suggest a clean install and see if USB works after that.

Feb 18, 2022
swapping a motherboard without reinstalling windows can lead to strange errors.
there are 3 results that can happen if you do
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but has issues
  3. it doesn't work at all.
I would suggest a clean install and see if USB works after that.
My PC boots perfectly fine and normally (Windows runs fine on my SSD), but this is only when I have barely any USB devices plugged into my pc’s USB ports. Once I plug in all of my devices ( 6-8 ports being used), then it doesn’t boot at all, not even to the bios.

Colif

Win 11 Master
do you have newest BIOS on motherboard? (I just noticed I am using that MB now)

does it matter which devices? I mean, could it be one of them is faulty and stops it communicating with others.

it seems unlikely you got a bad motherboard (though not impossible).

its pretty fundamental if it effects bios USB.

why didn't you take PC to a shop to get them to look at it instead of replacing parts on an assumption? If you have new ram, mb & PSU, it could have been one of the parts you didn't replace... like the CPU. It wouldn't be the first time I have seen someone replace everything except the broken parts.

I don't know if a bad CPU would cause that but maybe.

replacing the ARESGamer PSU was a good idea, even if it didn't fix problem.

Solution
Feb 18, 2022
I have the newest bios (however I think it’s a beta version, F35). And it doesn’t matter which devices. I have switched them all out and it seems like the # of devices is what ends up being the reason it won’t boot properly.

I also don’t think it’s the CPU because I feel like I would of had the same issue or a similar issue with my other motherboard. I could be very wrong though.

Also, the only reason I’ve been trying new parts is because I can refund the old ones. Plus I didn’t realize it was going to be this many parts and this much of a hassle haha. Every time I decided to get a part I was like “this has got to be it”, but I’m definitely past that now.

I’m going to do more digging online about the motherboard , bios version, and this issue… if I can’t figure it out then I might have to take it somewhere. I just feel like they might not come to a conclusion like I have. But also doesn’t hurt to try I guess.

I really appreciate your input and help! it’s nice to have someone to bounce ideas off of

Colif

Win 11 Master
I still wonder if its not windows.

go into bios and go to save & exit screen
put a win 10 installer in a USB slot
fill the rest of the USB slots as you would normally
choose boot override
this should show the Win 10 installer as a bootable device, pick it and PC will restart and try to boot off USB instead.

curious if it gets you to be installer screens. I don't want you to install, I just curious if it works.
If it does, it would appear its windows not working right
If it doesn't, well, we know its not windows....

Boot over ride doesn't change boot order, it just lets you choose another drive for 1 boot, then it returns to normal on next start.

another choice is run off UBuntu live USB and see if it has any problems with multiple USB- https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview

Reactions: Mojo31
I then realized that maybe I should unplug all of my USB devices expect my keyboard/mouse.
Then it booted normally and worked fine.
But I’d like to have all of my usb devices plugged in and use my pc as normal
What USB devices. Please list all of them.
It's possible, something is causing short. Either bad usb port or bad usb device.

Test all USB ports and all USB devices - one by one.
1. Take one USB port and boot your system with this port populated. Try all USB devices in this port.
If system boots with some devices and doesn't boot with some other devices, then you have found your problematic devices.​
2. Take one device, you know is working, and try this device in all USB ports.
If system boots with the device in some USB ports and doesn't boot with device in some other USB ports, then you have found problematic USB ports.​
3. Another option, if all USB ports are working fine, when only one port populated and all USB devices work, when only one is used,
then may be combined load of all devices is too much. Use externally powered USB hub then.​

Feb 18, 2022
Yeah, all of the USB ports work fine. It’s just when I use more than three ports on boot. However, I can boot it with 3 usb devices perfectly fine and then after it boots plug in the rest of my devices and the pc remains working properly. It’s just a pain to have to unplug and plug in every time for booting haha.

It’s just odd because it was working perfectly fine when I using the same exact devices (6 devices) before I swapped the motherboard. 750w power supply should be plenty for 3070ti, 5800x cpu, and x570 mobo

I’m going to contact gigabyte on Monday to see if they have had experience with helping someone with similar issues, if they think it’s a motherboard issue, or see if I can get any extra insight.

If they can’t help me much. I will then search for and order a separately powered USB hub.

It seems like this is a common problem for some people who have this specific motherboard.

Feb 18, 2022
I still wonder if its not windows.

go into bios and go to save & exit screen
put a win 10 installer in a USB slot
fill the rest of the USB slots as you would normally
choose boot override
this should show the Win 10 installer as a bootable device, pick it and PC will restart and try to boot off USB instead.

curious if it gets you to be installer screens. I don't want you to install, I just curious if it works.
If it does, it would appear its windows not working right
If it doesn't, well, we know its not windows....

Boot over ride doesn't change boot order, it just lets you choose another drive for 1 boot, then it returns to normal on next start.

another choice is run off UBuntu live USB and see if it has any problems with multiple USB- https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/create-a-usb-stick-on-windows#1-overview
I’ll try this soon and let you know!