startingbidss

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Hello!

I recently upgraded my GPU to play SWTOR w/o lag, but yesterday when I played for the 1st time, I noticed some major FPS drops.

My pc:

. i5 750
. Asus p7p55d-pro
. Nvidia GTX 580
. 4GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance
. Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W

Usually I was getting 70+ FPS, but sometimes it drops do 20-30, specially in BGs.
Any ideas? I set the nvidia driver (most recent) to full performance, and in game I put most stuffs on low (like shade etc) except Character detail (high) and Texture (High).

I'm w/o ideas about what to do. I doubt the this game will require an GTX 580 SLI to run in max w/o lag... so I must be doing something wrong.

BTW: I play at 1920x1080!

startingbidss

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Thanks ;) Pretty happy to be here. What intrigues me is that a few friends run it in a GTX 570 and according to them, this FPS drops dont happen! Thats y I thought it could be my fault or something!

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Hi dude,

This is most likely a CPU bottleneck or issue. Though I haven't played SWs yet I've been playing wow for 5 years. In large raids and battlegrounds my frames can drop to 20 from 80 outside raids, I use a 5870 and a 920 OC to 3.8 GHz.

Make sure there's nothing running in the background that's using a lot of CPU power. Unless your GPU is faulty (which I doubt though you could test it in a graphics intensive game like crysis 2) this is not a GPU problem but something else.

startingbidss

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
Ill check my CPU! Maybe upgrade to i7 2600k or something...
As I said, im getting 90+ fps, except in bgs and in some areas so I dont think my GPU is faulty. I googled a bit and theres tons of posts with the same problem, so I'm not alone hehehe!

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Well, just checked your system (even the PSU 12v rail wattage to check underpowered VGA). And there is only two explanations:

1- Game not optimized for GTX 580 (I know, it's weird, but it could be some driver problem related only to GTX 580)
2- CPU underpowered, when gathering a lot of people in screen, it requires a lot of CPU.. this could be the problem! (refer to joedjnpc posts)

xcrossroadsx

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
I have an i5-750 OC'ed to 3.2 GHz, 8 GB DDR-1600, and a gtx 470. I am running SWTOR on maxed setting with the most recent beta drivers from NVIDIA and I have yet to notice anything bad with the fps (I don't monitor them because I know if I see that I'm getting below 60 I will try and fix it, but if I just play it I don't notice any lag)

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
What speed do you have your CPU running at?

4GB RAM is actually bottom line for SWTOR also depending on if you have a web browser etc running at the same time. On high settings it can easily use well over 2GB, and if you have a few other things open you can be pushing 4GB with windows. That will start forcing things over the swap file, which can create lag spikes.

If you have room to add 4GB more I'd do so first thing. Hell, even if you have to remove your old RAM, you can get 8GB for $40, $30 on a good sale.

I just built a new system for SWTOR, and I actually put 16GB in it (2500k @4.2, 560ti), and I am very happy I didn't listen to everyone saying I had too much RAM. (I semi-seriously considered 8GB sticks so I could go to 32GB down the road) I actually made a 4GB RAMdrive to put the page file on, & that plus having SWTOR on a SSD makes it completely fly.

startingbidss

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
I run my i5 750 at default settings (totally noob to OC stuffs), and while im plalying the only thing that remains open is Skype.

The only explanation is CPU bottleneck...most reviews that i read told the swtor dont requires much CPU but...i dont know what else could be. If the problem was my GPU i wouldnt be able to play at max 80+ in most areas (I guess).

Yargnit

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I ran the thanksgiving weekend beta on a core2 duo though and had no major issues (just lots slower zoning) so your i5 750 should be plenty. RAM (that system had 4gb) was the only real issue I noticed with it, having to use the swap file quite a bit.

An overclock to 3.2 or so would be very easy to do if you want to eliminate the CPU as a problem, but I really think it's RAM. What does your CPU use look like in game? In my new system it hardly goes over 50% (only when loading a new area really if I'm flying though it quickly on 1 of the automated speeders)

startingbidss

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2011
3dmark vantage scored 19711 and said that my pc was normal or something like this. Tried to OC my processor and DDR following this guide <http://www.legionhardware.com/articles_pages/intel_core_i5_750_overclocking_guide,1.html> and guess what....BSOD!