[SOLVED] Sync issue with HDMI to VGA adapter?

Aug 26, 2020
Well, it's been a lively day trying to fix the following issue: When I plug an HDMI to VGA adapter into the HDMI port of my Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-42) to connect to a VGA only Samsung S19B150 monitor, the display works fine for a minute, after which it develops a weird pattern that I can only describe as similar to waves on the surface of water, going horizontally across the display, after which the image promptly turns black, resumes the pattern, turns black, etc. The signal is constantly received however.

I have so far tried the following:

1. Updating and rolling back display drivers
  2. Switching to known working VGA cables for the monitor, connected to another PC without an adapter - monitor works fine
  3. Testing the adapter on another setup, where it worked fine

It could be that the HDMI port on the laptop may not be working properly, but that seems highly unlikely, the issue is that I have no HDMI devices to test the port on...
Another issue could be the adapter failing to sync the signal properly for this monitor specifically, but that as well seems unlikely given that it has worked for over a year with it without any issues...

Any other suggestions?

Solution
The monitor in question has only one port, apart from the barrel power jack, which is the VGA one. I also have only one HDMI port on the laptop, and no other ones capable of outputing video other than a USB-C port.

Now, the adapter is one of these thingies:

View: https://imgur.com/Op5XSm7

As you can see, the HDMI part cannot be detached, but I did try a different VGA cable on the other end to no avail.
I see now thank you for the pic my friend. So you have tried a different VGA cable as you said above uh? If still a no go and DDU didn't help then that is not good. At this point when connected to you get a orange light or does your monitor power up or just blank screen? That is a nice...

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Have you tried DDU Display Driver Uninstaller. Run it in safe mode and do a clean and restart. Then upon boot up of normal mode now install the latest graphics drivers and let us know how things fair. Were here for you we will sort this out in no time. 🙈✝😷🤷‍♀️

Reactions: Vlad_007
Aug 26, 2020
Have you tried DDU Display Driver Uninstaller. Run it in safe mode and do a clean and restart. Then upon boot up of normal mode now install the latest graphics drivers and let us know how things fair. Were here for you we will sort this out in no time. 🙈✝😷🤷‍♀️

I used DDU before reinstalling and rolling back drivers, no bueno ...

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
I used DDU before reinstalling and rolling back drivers, no bueno ...
Try a different port behind the video card. Or you only have one VGA port? The adapter can be bunk which I sorta doubt. You can also try to use a new cable from monitor to adapter to video card. A cable or bad connection is usually why something like this would happen. 🤷‍♀️😷✝

Aug 26, 2020
Try a different port behind the video card. Or you only have one VGA port? The adapter can be bunk which I sorta doubt. You can also try to use a new cable from monitor to adapter to video card. A cable or bad connection is usually why something like this would happen. 🤷‍♀️😷✝

The monitor in question has only one port, apart from the barrel power jack, which is the VGA one. I also have only one HDMI port on the laptop, and no other ones capable of outputing video other than a USB-C port.

As you can see, the HDMI part cannot be detached, but I did try a different VGA cable on the other end to no avail.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

I see now thank you for the pic my friend. So you have tried a different VGA cable as you said above uh? If still a no go and DDU didn't help then that is not good. At this point when connected to you get a orange light or does your monitor power up or just blank screen? That is a nice adapter I don't know why it should give issues other then possible a DP port revision issue. What VGA to DP version does it convert to? Ideally you would want a old DP revision as that is what your laptop probably accepts however even the latest DP revision should be backwards compatibile and work fine with no issues and what not. 🤷🏽‍♂️👨🏽‍🦲🙈✝

Solution
Aug 26, 2020
I see now thank you for the pic my friend. So you have tried a different VGA cable as you said above uh? If still a no go and DDU didn't help then that is not good. At this point when connected to you get a orange light or does your monitor power up or just blank screen? That is a nice adapter I don't know why it should give issues other then possible a DP port revision issue. What VGA to DP version does it convert to? Ideally you would want a old DP revision as that is what your laptop probably accepts however even the latest DP revision should be backwards compatibile and work fine with no issues and what not. 🤷🏽‍♂️👨🏽‍🦲🙈✝

That's the strange thing, at no point does it lose signal, it just outputs this garbage cycle of black screen/wavy image. Not sure about the versions, but I will try a different adapter tomorrow and hooking up a pure HDMI screen to the port to rule out that issue, if I find one. I doubt that there are any signal standard compatibility issues as it has worked fine for a good year now.

Anyway friend, thanks for the suggestions, I will try to borrow a pure HDMI screen tomorrow to see if the port is an issue, and also maybe try a different adapter, not sure what else I would do other than to give up entirely and use something through USB-C, anyway, will update tomorrow!

Aug 26, 2020

Just to update you as I promised, I tested the port out, just HDMI to HDMI and it worked just fine. Bought a new HDMI to VGA converter and voila it works perfectly. If I connect the old one, same issues as previously described.

It is strange that the adapter failed, but I sure am glad that I managed to solve the issue, thanks for the help!