Dino_Saur

Commendable
Mar 17, 2020
My old motherboard (Asrock X370) died so I upgraded to MSI B550 Tomahawk and Ryzen 5 5600X processor.

Other components are:
EVGA GTX 1080 SC
Western Digital 1TB HDD
Kingston 120GB M.2 SSD (contains Windows 10)
Corsair 16GB 3000mHz RAM
Cooler Master 750W PSU 80+ Bronze

The system successfully boots into BIOS. It is also able to detect all the components correctly.

But when I try to leave the BIOS, after rebooting it gets stuck on a black screen. The monitor is receiving a signal but there is no image.

The Debug LEDs on the motherboard say it is a VGA problem, which according to the manual could refer to a problem in GPU, M.2, etc. I have to force shut down system, after which it again boots into the bios.

I had recently gotten my GPU tested and know for a fact that it works.

So I removed the M.2 SSD and the no image problem does not occur. Everytime I save and exit the bios, it sends me back to it (as there is no device available to boot to). My Debug LED also indicate that there is no device available to boot to.

I took a closer look at my M.2 SSD and noticed there is a lot of rust on the contact points. This SSD had not been used for almost 2 to 3 months since my old motherboard died.

So is this the rust causing the problem? If so how do I remove it safely? Or is there some other problem, for example do I have to perform a BIOS update? Please let me know.

Solution
Poor electrical contacts
Try to use contact cleaner, don't cheap out on the contact cleaner tho

IF THE PORT ON MOTHERBOARD GOT CORROSION:
Remove the part first, spray good amount on contacts, re-seat / plug-unplug it multiple times, and blow with canned air duster
OR get a toothbrush, spray the contacts, brush it ( not recommended but sometimes works on my case )

IF THE M.2 HAD THE CORROSION:

Get q-tip, alcohol
Put some alcohol on q-tip, and gently rub it against the contacts
OR get a sanding paper, with grit of 300 to 500, gently scrape/remove rust on contacts ( not recommended as it might remove the contact...
Jul 28, 2019
Poor electrical contacts
Try to use contact cleaner, don't cheap out on the contact cleaner tho

IF THE PORT ON MOTHERBOARD GOT CORROSION:
Remove the part first, spray good amount on contacts, re-seat / plug-unplug it multiple times, and blow with canned air duster
OR get a toothbrush, spray the contacts, brush it ( not recommended but sometimes works on my case )

IF THE M.2 HAD THE CORROSION:

Get q-tip, alcohol
Put some alcohol on q-tip, and gently rub it against the contacts
OR get a sanding paper, with grit of 300 to 500, gently scrape/remove rust on contacts ( not recommended as it might remove the contact pads)

EDITED, CORRECTED SOME INFO, AND ADDED SOME INFO

Solution