Question Taskbar thumbnails stop working after launching a game

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
I got a new monitor for Christmas and now every time I launch a game, the taskbar hover live preview breaks. It's fixed when you open the tab, but it's very annoying. After opening a game my taskbar looks like this for every program.
WnVe9TZ.jpg

The new monitor is a Viewsonic XG2402. I'm not sure why going to a different monitor would cause this, but I can't find a solution anywhere. I'm on the latest version of Windows 10 1909 and the only thing that has changed is the monitor.

Hello

Can you please try right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, going to Display settings, and clicking the Detect and Identify buttons to let Windows know about the new monitor?

If that doesn't help, please try updating the graphics driver, and if it is already updated, please try rolling it back to an earlier built.

You can also try going to Device Manager, expanding the Monitors tree, and disabling Generic PnP Monitor and see if doing so helps.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

iMurd

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2012
Hello

Can you please try right-clicking anywhere on the desktop, going to Display settings, and clicking the Detect and Identify buttons to let Windows know about the new monitor?

If that doesn't help, please try updating the graphics driver, and if it is already updated, please try rolling it back to an earlier built.

You can also try going to Device Manager, expanding the Monitors tree, and disabling Generic PnP Monitor and see if doing so helps.

Feel free to report back for any further assistance.

Cheers!!
Updated graphic drivers and it didn't help. And for disabling the Generic PnP Monitor, would that be ok when I only have 1 monitor? Also I discovered not every game affects the preview, I've played RDR2 and Resident Evil 7 without it causing a problem while CSGO, Fallout 4, and Far Cry 5 all have.