[SOLVED] Tech Support: Computer not responding to the keyboard/mouse at login screen/screen saver

Oct 18, 2021
Hello everyone,

I have recently come into a weird problem with my computer. Normally, if I were to put my computer to sleep I could easily wake it up by either turning on my wireless keyboard or mouse, hitting a key on my keyboard, or clicking on my mouse. It then wakes up to a screen saver and I can touch a key and it lets me log in. Well, if I leave my computer running and it times out and goes to sleep and it stays asleep for a good while (10 minutes to an 1+ hour) I can do the same thing as I normally do, either turning on my keyboard/mouse, hitting a key on my keyboard, or clicking on my mouse to wake the computer up and it takes me to the screen saver, but this time the computer doesn't respond to my keyboard or mouse anymore and will not bring me to the log in screen. Even if I leave the computer for it to go back into sleep mode then come back and try again I still get the same results. I am pretty much forced to force shut down my computer for it to start back up so that way I can log in to my computer.

• The computer and the drives have all recently been updated (as of October 17, 2021).
  • I do have my keyboard and mouse set to be allowed to wake the computer up from sleep.
  • I can have absolutely no application (file explorer, internet browser, game, etc.) or have multiple applications running and still get the same results.
  • This problem started in the last month while I was out of town. My wife used it here and there while I was gone, but only used it to take a test or two on the internet or downloaded PDF documents from work. No applications/programs were added to the computer in that month.
  • I usually have the habit of putting my computer to sleep at the end of the day instead of actually turning it off, but I normally turn it off once a week.

I am at a loss of how to fix this problem that I am having. It could very well be an easy fix, but I'm having trouble knowing where to start. Please if anyone has knowledge of this problem or has an idea on what steps I could take to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. If anyone needs anymore information from me please don't hesitate to ask.

Solution
I was always told to not mess with the BIOS unless I'm having real big problems.
whoever told you that has no clue what they're talking about.
the majority of BIOS updates are to improve performance, update compatibility options, and to fix reported issues.

also make sure you have the latest drivers installed.
even if you do, if there's a separate USB driver re-install that again.

if the BIOS update doesn't repair the problem;
the fact that it works fine when shutting down & powering back up can also point to OS issues.
i would probably perform a fresh OS install and then make sure all of the latest motherboard drivers are installed.
if they are a wireless set the USB dongle isn't being initiated as it should when the computer is sleeping.
are there LEDs on either device that also fail to light up?

you can try another set of USB ports;
if using the front I/O, switch to the back & vice versa.
if using an external USB hub, use an onboard port.

you can also try altering the Power Plan profile to allow USB devices to wake the system.
sometimes these plans can become corrupted though and you may need to create a new custom plan.

Oct 18, 2021
if they are a wireless set the USB dongle isn't being initiated as it should when the computer is sleeping.
are there LEDs on either device that also fail to light up?

you can try another set of USB ports;
if using the front I/O, switch to the back & vice versa.
if using an external USB hub, use an onboard port.

you can also try altering the Power Plan profile to allow USB devices to wake the system.
sometimes these plans can become corrupted though and you may need to create a new custom plan.

I do apologize, I forgot to mention that bit of information.

Yes, both the keyboard and the mouse light up. I can plug both the wireless keyboard and mouse into the computer and the computer still doesn't respond. I can even plug a different wired keyboard or mouse into the computer (doesn't matter what USB port) and I still get no response.

I can even plug a different wired keyboard or mouse into the computer (doesn't matter what USB port) and I still get no response.
sounds like a motherboard issue then.

if you can get into the system any way;
make sure you have all of the latest motherboard drivers & BIOS installed.

if it continues to happen either revert to an earlier Restore Point before the issue began or do a fresh OS install.

Oct 18, 2021
sounds like a motherboard issue then.

if you can get into the system any way;
make sure you have all of the latest motherboard drivers & BIOS installed.

if it continues to happen either revert to an earlier Restore Point before the issue began or do a fresh OS install.

Also, if I turn on the computer from shut down everything works perfectly. If I put the computer to sleep and wake it up almost immediately or less than 5 minutes I can wake the computer with the keyboard or mouse and I can log in with my pin. Once I log in I have to pull the dongle for the mouse and put back in for the mouse to work again, but the keyboard keeps working.

I was always told to not mess with the BIOS unless I'm having real big problems. With that being said it shows the version/date of my BIOS is 1/20/2020 and on the website it shows there is a version/date of 8/12/2021.

I was always told to not mess with the BIOS unless I'm having real big problems.
whoever told you that has no clue what they're talking about.
the majority of BIOS updates are to improve performance, update compatibility options, and to fix reported issues.

also make sure you have the latest drivers installed.
even if you do, if there's a separate USB driver re-install that again.

if the BIOS update doesn't repair the problem;
the fact that it works fine when shutting down & powering back up can also point to OS issues.
i would probably perform a fresh OS install and then make sure all of the latest motherboard drivers are installed.

Solution