The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 71 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
I personally would not buy an Ikea desk chair. I finally learned that you can $80USD on a chair that will be lumpy and flat and replaced every year, or you can buy one that is $300USD and will last a decade.

Also, I'm on my laptop until next Sunday because I'm at home on break and I didn't bring my desktop, so I probably won't play minecraft until then.

Tiny, Thats fine we can play MC whenever you want. Bout the chairs, Yeah, Well, Welcome to the UAE. We are gonna go and try some out...doesnt matter if it lasts me a year and a half, gonna move to the USA once im dont with the school year AFTER this one InshAllah. So like idk late 2015 or early 2016...God knows. But We dont need the chair for more than a year and a half.

Leave the card at whatever section of the game in which it continuously whines. You need to leave the card so it's whining for an extended period of time. The idea is to "wear it out" or "break it in" so to speak. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes it takes longer than others. That's all you can really do unfortunately.

vegetablegod

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
I finally got them to ship my NZXT Kraken G10 and it will be here Tuesday. I ordered the Corsair H55 and some more Corsair SP120s from Amazon on the 6th and it just got here today.

The plan is to liquid cool my GPU as cheaply as possible. I have about $125 in the G10, H55, two SP120s and I also purchased some IC Diamond.

here's a pic of the H55:
8e40ac2c-6dde-44df-97cf-ce69b566b63a_zps9f5296ad.jpg

And here's what the G10 will look like, though I got the black one:
980A7640.jpg

Once I get everything I will see how it performs and post some more pics.

vegetablegod

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Was that question for me stickg1?

All that I got with it is the water block/fan mount. My case has pretty cool air flow so I'm not really worried about it.

Some VRM(mosfets get hot) heatsinks are never a bad idea because even at stock they tend to some kind of heatsink to go with the fan cooling it. Cooler VRMs should be a bit more efficient.

Depending on the card model it may already have some.

Memory in general does not actually NEED it, but it may help with overclocking.

jeremyp79

Distinguished
I've been toying with the idea of making a motherboard cover, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it, yet. I will get one done some time. As for the cigs, empty packs are great for keeping small screws in, keeps me from losing them :p

Lutfij

Titan
Jeremy - nice work on that shroud. Have you frosted the inside of the acrylic? That will help even out the light(diffused luminescence) if you route the LED's round the edge of the PSU shroud.

jeremyp79

Distinguished

Had no clue that was even possible, lol. How do you frost it? Not too sure it will ork with this acrylic either, I got the translucent stuff instead of transparent

Yeah, your VRMs are just as important to keep cool as the core IMO. And casual case airflow on a bare VRM will not suffice.

Direct airflow from a decent fan might do the job though.

Pic #1: My red-mod R9 290, note the three little VRM heatsinks on the front patch of VRMs.
installingredmod3_zpsa8fdb4a3.jpg

Pic #2: I had a shortage of VRMsinks but wanted to test the card out anyway so the only solution was direct airflow from a 2000RPM 120mm fan. This worked, but was loud and still would be much better off with heatsinks.

ghettorigged_zps3ec9717f.jpg

vegetablegod

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014

I get what you're saying. I guess I'll have to wait and see what I'm working with when I take the heatsink off. Though I have two 120mm fans on my side panel that blow on the graphics card and the G10 comes with a 92mm fan that blows directly on the card like you have in your second picture.

980A7606.jpg

Lutfij

Titan
Jeremey - Initially try a few LED's under that shroud and take a pic of it with extended exposure setting on your camera. If you end up with a vertical light beams then you have alot of light bleed. In reality it'll be adjusted by your iris/cornea but a camera is a lil more laymen. In order to diffuse the light get some sand paper/a sanding machine and go along under the panel length wise until you can tell by touch and sight that the sanding is even.

I'd ask you to take a dummy piece of acrylic and test out my advice/theory. I've done it on my AMS mod - to diffuse the light coming from my I/O panel.

VG - cooling memory chips is a good idea, if you look at all the full cover blocks around the market you'll notice that they tend to overclock better and if you don't overclock they will last you a good time and be worthy of a good resale value since everything was maintained at an optimum tmep.

vegetablegod

Honorable
Jan 27, 2014
Thanks for the help guys. I remember that I have an old vantec PCI fan card somewhere that should help keep the gpu cool until the heatsinks arrive.