The Member's Systems Discussion Thread

Page 94 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
If the CPU cooler is doing its job, there is no reason to waste money changing it. The CM hyper 212 evo is one of the best coolers you can buy and DEFINITELY the BEST value for money cooler there is in any price/performance bracket.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

One thing you Americans confuse me with your system................your temperature measurement.

A lot of the frozen foods come from America, and they always list F

The Hyper212 EVO is not a bad cooler, but compared to its competition, it is the bang/buck LOSER. I'm still miffed the Gaia's price got jacked to match it, making it no better, but Enermax and NZXT have similar models that are up to 40% cheaper. Any difference in performance seems hardly worth 40%, and could be fixed easily enough by putting some of that money into a fan replacement (or additional fan). I'm still hoping to catch another Gaia down around $20 again, but I'm not planning to hold my breath.

mathieub

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014

Youre right hes wrong. As an AMERICAN he should be using F and Inches and Feet because its Imperial which is what the US uses.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

It's a good cooler. Hook that bad boy with 2 good fans (I have 2 NZXT fans from my case when I replaced it with AF120's) and you'll have no problem overclocking, and cooling your CPU. I got mine in September 2013 for 24.99$ But I have no idea why, but they rise the prices for that cooler to 35.99$ here in Canada. I'm guessing because our Canadian dollar value is crap.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013

1 780ti is really all you need for a 144hz monitor.

No at ultra settings 1 780ti does not keep games above 120fps/120hz at all times. When playing bf4 im usually playing 64man servers so there is lots of stuff going on and I drop below 100fps often and thats with my current 780ti overclocked a good bit. I ordered the 2nd 780ti classified last night. I still have a few months before the new cpu's and ddr4 ram comes out so I'll slide by on my 2500k OC for now until the new stuff comes out and I get one of them.

Oh I have a stable job but I set back small portions of every paycheck specifically for my computer parts. By the time the new cpu's come out in june july or august (probably august) I will have more than enough money to snag maybe even a x99 chipset mobo but will probably just get a z97.

The only new tech I see comming is the 8 core of haswell-e. The devils canyon really just looks to have better thermal transfer between the IHS and the pcb of the processor. Better thermal paste perhaps? I dunno but they are clIming 15 celsius temp drops from the improved TIM. If the 4770k ran 15 degrees celsius cooler I would have kept it.

Daniel Sudakov

Honorable
Sep 14, 2013
Barely you'll notice 100 or 120 fps. Even 70 fps you'll won't see a difference (What my old 770 got in bf4) I had no problems playing with 3 monitors with my 780 ti on ultra at 40-50 fps in BF4.

It's all up to you lol, I just think you'll won't get your moneys worth when you SLI.

mathieub

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014

Hehe :p

I see a huge diff in anything under 90 when having it set at 120 hz. When it drops below 80 or lower it looks like a 60hz monitor just about. So long as I can stay realistically 100-110 plus at all times im happy. Plus this should last me 2 years or so. It'll make me happy for now and especially once I upgrade mobo and cpu.