The Power Supply Unit tier list Discussion thread

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rexer

Distinguished

I own a Corsair RM750 I just pulled out of my game computer and threw in the closet. I had gone around in circles trying to figure out what's wrong with my rig. I built it 9 months ago and it's been a real heater. Great in the winter, toasty in spring. It couldn't take the summer and began to black out and finally kacked at the end of July '14. I began looking on websites here and there and discovered Corsair was having a recall on the RM 750, first 4 numbers in serial numbers below 1341. The recall is due to a possible thermal problem. The first four numbers of my serial # are 1333.
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=123484
I was gonna buy the SeaSonic X Series 750 but changed my mind on the advice of a friend. After several hundred dollars spent on suspect parts and a few misdiagnoses, I wish I'd never strayed. But I'm not saying this as a slam on Corsair where this misfortune was just the 'luck of the draw'.
Fact is, you're probably right about waiting till it gets to a higher tier because Corsair does invest in quality with some regularity, enough to dispute a moment's reflection of mistaken calculated values.

D

Deleted member 217926

The problem with the RM in my opinion was the fact that Corsair used two different OEMs for the series. Their old standby CWT makes the 450w, 550w, 650w and 1000w versions and Chicony Power Technology makes the less than stellar reviewed 750w and 850w models. The good news is that Corsair knows the first Chicony models were terrible and now Chicony has released an updated version. There are no real reviews of the updated models yet so I still will not recommend them until I see a few.

There were only two models in the M12II Series (SS-430GM and SS-500GM), both only 80 PLUS standard efficiency units that were discontinued years ago.

It should have been labelled M12II Bronze SS-650AM, SS-750AM and SS-850AM models. The point is moot, anyway, since the M12II Bronze Series has been discontinued and has been replaced by the M12II Bronze EVO Edition Series.

blackfonzy32

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
In Tier 2 Class A you have the corsair TX / TXM series, however, I would like to replace my shitty coolmax with the TX850 V2 that's on sale on newegg, does the V2 make a difference or should i look for something else because i dont see V2 anywhere on here

D

Deleted member 217926

Yep, the TX V2 were all Seasonic made and the best of the TX series. Discontinued now like the whole TX line but I'm sure some places still have them in stock.

D

Deleted member 217926

not a leadex platform like G2,P2 but based on the Super Flower platform found in Rosewill Capstone. not a flawless unit but still a great one. Tier two class A i would say. here is the review!

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=393

dottorrent

Honorable

Essentially, yes. The B2 series uses the SuperFlower Golden Green platform. It's far better than the old FSP ones.

G

Can you fix the Zalman PSU`s ? :ange:

I may need to buy a budget PSU depending on my budget and there are these options I see;

Zalman ZM 400 LE sells for 40$,

Zalman ZM 500 LE sells for 53$ but I don`t need high wattage anyway,

Zalman ZM 500 LX sells for 62$,

Zalman ZM 600 LX sells for 69$ but I don`t need high wattage as I said before :lol:

Corsair VS 450 for 55$,

Some thermaltake Litepowers.

Anyway, I am thinking that the VS 450 is the best option. The list says Zalman ZM series under 1000w is Tier2 A but the same list says ZM Series 850/1000W is Tier3.

So according to the list, any PSU from Zalman which is under 1000w is Tier2A with the expection of 850w units being both tier2a and tier3. :no: :lol:

Edit: Also I am not in `Murica, I`m in Turkey so I can use the VS 450.

dottorrent

Honorable

Fixed. The VS450 is a decent budget unit. Better and more honest than the cheap rubbish you'll find.

G

Uhm, thanks for your efforts maintaining this list, its very helpful :) but, its not fixed?

Let me try to help you..

There are Zalman ZM LE series which I think is the cheapest and neither features Active PFC nor 80plus rating.

There are Zalman ZM LX PSU`s with security features and Active PFC.

ZM APS,ZM RS,ZM ST,ZM HP,ZM GT,ZM GS II,ZM GLX,ZM GV,ZM GVN,ZM FX.

What the hell? I counted 12 PSU series. Holy *****. I think theres more.

I suggest you put all Zalman PSU`s to untiered now and work your way one by one.

That has to be hard :fou:

The thing is people don't care about PSUs that is not available in USA

dottorrent

Honorable

Status
Not open for further replies.