The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welp, im out of the fold for a bit.

The family desktop PSU started to fail and I've temporary have put my PSU in that system till a replacement can come in.

Cant complain though, the corsair TX750 psu did last 6 years (maybe 7, cant remember) and it failed very gracefully vs other PSU's of the past. Only thing that died with it was a microsoft keyboard/mouse receiver that's lasted for over 10 years now (who new a wireless keyboard would last longer than the receiver? lol).

Anyways, with all this out of the way, I've at least had a good laugh. Never though i would need to use a SFX psu in a ATX case (until today). Its comically small in a mid-tower ATX case.

6-7 years? Must be right around the time Corsair switched from the old red and yellow TX units to the orange stuff.

Makes me want to upgrade my PSU that little bit more, since I went with the lower-end GS series and it's past 4 years. Also it gets noisy when it gets dusty... but I consider that more of a feature than a problem, nice to know when it's time to clean things up. :D

Yep this one is orange (and its the v1 version. I forgot there was a second version of this psu.)

As for what cause it, I "might" have spotted it but I cant find any "good" close up to see what this part looked when it working ok.

*Image from JohnnyGuru website (minus the red square where im pointing out the failed part)*
powersupply_zpsik8738wl.jpg~original

and here is the youtube video of what I see. Couldn't get a good still image that could show everything that I was seeing.

Maybe not the issue but it look odd as the other side of it looks a lot smoother.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSJp6VztOac&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

In any case, the new PSU is ordered and it's a seasonic PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151118&cm_re=seasonic-_-17-151-118-_-Product

650w, 80+ Gold, semi-modular, and almost perfect score from johnnyguru.com

sounded a like a good PSU for this system.

Im assuming your talking about the Seasonic PSU? (Just making sure as i've also talked about the corsair as well in the same post. :lol:)

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

Lol yeah the seasonic :).

Im guessing the seasonic is working fine for you as your not objecting me buying it. So it must be a good little psu. :D

Although i guess since you have it already, i might ask if there any little issues i should be aware of with it? Ive looked at reviews and all that but theres nothing like talking to someone that is still currently using it.

Ive seen the cpu cable might be short ( shoulent be an issue for me as the psu will be at fhe top of the case where the cpu pin will be.) But beyond that, i didnt see many problems this this psu.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016

Yeah now that you mention it the 8 pin for the MB is kind of short. In my case, Coolermaster N400, the PSU is at the bottom left so the 8 pin MB cable has to stretch around my GPU and then around the CPU cooler. Let's just say it is a tight fit and I was a little worried about wires and the heat sinks touching, but so far so good.

I don't run a very demanding system, 4690k, gtx 1070 (gtx 950 before upgrade), all stock, so if you're looking for a glowing recommendation for heavy use I'm probably not it :). But it has been very reliable, the power in my area will randomly shut off and so far all of my components are still running despite crashing at some inopportune times.

Well the system this psu is going in isnt very demanding either, Core i7 920, Radeon HD 7850, and also stock. It doubles between a family member computer (that mainly browse the web) and file/print server for the entire family.

So it sounds perfect psu for this system.

This system did fold a bit when I first built this before I built my personal system (as per the requirement with EXT64 who i got the cpu from). it also done tv recording though a usb tv turner but it doesn't do much of those things anymore.

So all demanding stuff has disappeared on this system.

I'm glad to hear that i7 is still well used and loved :D

I've got relatives of that PSU (X series gold and platinum), not sure how similar they are though. Great PSU, highly recommend. However because I have had so many I have had issues:

I had one connector melt on the PSU side. Likely a faulty connector that was loosened by vibration.

Sensitive to what I call electronic resonances (aka whistle). Certain components and fast switching power circuitry led to audible noise not present with other PSUs.

They don't seem to have quite as much holdover power as some other units. Which is my way of saying they are more likely to crash in a power blip than some other units I've had.

Still, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them or buy them again. And their service/RMA was great too.

yeah it has the easy life now. Certainly overkill for the use its getting. :lol:

I've got relatives of that PSU (X series gold and platinum), not sure how similar they are though. Great PSU, highly recommend. However because I have had so many I have had issues:

I had one connector melt on the PSU side. Likely a faulty connector that was loosened by vibration.

Sensitive to what I call electronic resonances (aka whistle). Certain components and fast switching power circuitry led to audible noise not present with other PSUs.

They don't seem to have quite as much holdover power as some other units. Which is my way of saying they are more likely to crash in a power blip than some other units I've had.

Still, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them or buy them again. And their service/RMA was great too.

Thanks for that! Now im sure the G series is a tier lower (tier 2) than the X series (tier 1) (based on websites that have tiers for there PSU) but from what I could see, it still a really good PSU.

Also the new PSU should be here for tomorrow. (3 day shipping + rush processing FTW!) So should have some hands on it soons.

There was that whole "revelation" about hold-up time in reviews a while back; turns out some PSUs would stay on longer than they were able to keep the voltages correct. So in that way, shutting off sooner can actually be safer.

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
I need some tech support. My 970 and 1080 were going OK folding together, but then it would just stop folding and when I came back to the computer I was at the login screen. Folding had stopped. Assuming something was overheating I went to a simpler setup, and just left the 1080 in there. Once I removed the 970, the FAH client got confused and is just 'updating' and showing no slots, although it is still folding on the 1080. How do I get it reset to be working again? I tried reinstalling it but no luck.

Haserath

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I have the same Seasonic G series at 550W, would've gotten the 450W but it was the same price. It works well and nothing particularly worth mentioning about it, but I can't tell an amazing PSU from one that works.

My last one, a thermaltake unit, was fine until one of the pins shorted and melted the plastic around it; luckily nothing was damaged enough to affect how I use the system.

The CPU connector is slightly longer than my last PSU, which barely reached before.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I used to have problems with thermal shutdowns and the computer would never reboot itself. It sounds more like your PSU shut itself down and when the MB received power again it booted back up.

JigoroKano

Commendable
Nov 30, 2016
Well I have an 4790k with h100i cooler, 1080, 970, several hard drives, several fans trying to run off a 750watt EVGA g2 (gold). Perhaps I'm overloading it?

logainofhades

Titan
Pretty sure the G2 is a single rail. I had a GT 730, with my 780ti, and I was not getting great folding results. I also had trouble with client not working right, when I removed it. I had to uninstall, then reinstall the folding client.

Go to the windows event log viewer to see there is any error message or not. Like this: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/a-built-in-system-monitor-thats-easier-to-read-than-event-viewer/

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-G2-0750-XR

Yep single rail.

Well I have an 4790k with h100i cooler, 1080, 970, several hard drives, several fans trying to run off a 750watt EVGA g2 (gold). Perhaps I'm overloading it?

For that system, I wouldn't think so... For 2 gpus that dont consume more power than 200w's each (actually less for both but making this easy in my head) and a cpu that consume around 100w under load (about 500w in total.)

Then just guessing all the extra stuff like fans, drives, ram, usb devices, ect will take an additional 100w (probably not but it just a good buffer), you should still have 100w to 150w (probably more) before you overload that PSU.

I would follow cin19 advice and see if there a event that is being recorded that could help narrow down your issue.

Now that I've got my hands on the seasonic psu, first impression,

Semi-modular good. Has the cables needed for this system already pre-wired (CPUI, PCI-e, and 24pin) without having a ton of extra cables that I dont need (only needed a single sata and molex cable.) Really good in a case with no cable-management abilities.

Only issue i had with this system it seems the PSU was mainly designed for a case that would mount it at the bottom. Main reason i say that is all my sata cables have the connector flipped in the opposite orientation of where I needed them.

My 2 options were to flip the drives upside down and use a shorter cable (rather not flip the drives) or use the long cable and have it double-back. I chose the lather.

New psu:
20161216_120950_zpsi3l0hhx7.jpg~original

And if you ever wanted to see a sfx psu in a atx case for the lols (just pardon the cable mess, sfx psu was certainly not designed for this with it's short cable.)
20161215_094850_zpsasuggp9a.jpg~original

Hello little PSU? You there? :lol:

So far everything work

Hmm, I need a new PSU and my case mounts the PSU in the base...

4f3ba4f3-55d0-44b7-9114-325a3f928bb3_zps1a4547d7.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.