The Tom's Hardware F@H Team Thread (Team 40051)

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks for the update, hopefully I'll get back to folding full time again soon but things are still a bit up the air for me right now.

Looking at the leader board and seeing that anything less than 240k PPD wouldn't even put me in the top twenty does give me a lovely warm fuzzy feeling though, great work guys you rock. [:mousemonkey]

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016

Congrats! Way to fold!

I was slowly nipping at your heels but my GPU temps started getting uncomfortable last night, so I'll be mostly winding down until the fall. Happy Spring to all (or Fall, as applicable)

yep your right.... Maybe i should of woke up a bit more before commenting. All i saw was big numbers and went "ooo" :lol:

and just to confirm your thoughts, here was a post on the F@H forum about that.

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29804&start=15#p294338

by tug27224 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:39 pm

I'm really sorry for the delay. I've been working on this since the issue arose, as there were several errors occurring at that time.
It turns out that there had been an update to the firewall ruleset for these two work servers so the points that had been earned could not be relayed to the appropriate servers.
This issue has been fixed.
In addition, the log of points earned during this downtime has remained intact since the WUs were successfully returned and accounted for.

Gratz!
way-to-fold.gif

So just a heads up with Nvidia latest driver (381.65), it seems everyone is getting lower PPD vs the older driver's.

https://forums.evga.com/Started-Test-Folding-Nvidia-GeForce-drivers-38165-WHQL-m2644237.aspx

I can say with my 980ti, these 9414/9415 WUs that would be in 520k~540kPPD (the lowest PPD WU's i get) is hovering around the 460K~480k PPD with this driver. So that about 12% drop in my PDD (havent had other types of WU's yet to compare so the difference could be smaller with other WU's).

So safe to say if your just folding, you may not want this driver.

I technically dont need them either, but with all these issues with OpenMM-F@H-"Nvidia drivers" in the last while, I might as well test them for to see how they'll act with folding.

but hey, if there's a performance boost (or performance matching to what it was several months ago), you'll probably want to know.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

The majority of my gaming time the past two weeks has been spent in Win 3.11 emulated inside of DOSBox. My driver worries boiled down to making sure I had the right IRQ for the sound driver. :D

:lol:

Alright, not that old. Just like reliability, the two ends of the spectrum are a pita. Though it is amazing how easy DosBox made things. I've had games (Tie Fighter) run better on DosBox than I ever got them to run on native hardware (mostly due to drivers).

Heads up! Not sure when they did this but F@H has finally moved to there new web page. Although it interesting that they're keeping both the old links and new links active at the same time even though it's shows the same web page.

(old) https://folding.stanford.edu/

(new) https://foldingathome.stanford.edu/

So not sure if the foldingathome url was just a temp url name while they were building the new site or they still plan on moving to that new url... (hopefully they're dont remove the new url as that'll break most of the links in our guide that i'll have to fix.)

Anyways, if you guys find any Url links broken in the guide, just let me know!

Tannerleo

Prominent
Mar 10, 2017
Just as I'm breaking into the top 50 Windows Creators Update broke folding on my GPU, OpenCL.dll went missing. :kaola:

A clean reinstall of the Nvidia drivers fixed it.

Man F@H in general has been dead lately..

No new news, no major changes in driver performance, ect,

Couple of new WU's but that isn't all that interesting.

No wounder why we've been silent for a month.

AliusBU

Reputable
Nov 30, 2016
That and I have a feeling it's getting hot for many of us. Predicted high of 88 degrees (F) here today. Hoping I don't regret my one 'summer folder' still limping along

uguv

Distinguished
Creator's Update broke mine too, right before I was about to pass 100m. The past few months worth of NVidia drivers seem to have slowed down folding performance too.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished

Hahah. Congrats. I've been folding since the last competition started (end of nov). I hit 100m finally (and am a few places ahead in the rankings... I keep having the random power blink stop everything or shut off the comptuers. Errrrghhh...

Status
Not open for further replies.