Question Thermal Paste and aftermarket cooler for i5 8400?

Mar 31, 2019
I bought an i5 8400 back when it was first released. Since then i have been having heating issues with cpu temp going to 90 degrees Celsius and above. After turning off the turbo boost from bios resolved the issue. I think it could be improper installation and it had preapplied thermal paste on it and since then i have not changed it and now i want to change it. I am confused with what thermal paste i should go with. Something like cooler master mastergel which is really cheap and comes with support items like a scrapper and cleaner or something from the premium range. I am also worried about the stock intel fan. Should i install an aftermarket fan or the stock fan will do?

Last edited:

WildCard999

Titan
Herald
The Intel stock cooler is junk, replace it with something that doesn't use push pins to lock it in as they wear down after a few installations and won't create a good connection between cooler & CPU. Most aftermarket coolers come with thermal paste but a good one is MX4.

Last edited:
Reactions: MightyMustachios
Really any reasonably priced thermal compound will work. I use Arctic Silver because it was what was available at the computer shop when I was there and it works fine. Some people swear by Noctua NT-H1 or Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. As for the cooler, the stock one should be fine for the 8400, but there are always budget CPU coolers like the Hyper 212 or Gammaxx 400.

Reactions: MightyMustachios

ASK THE COMMUNITY