Question Think my new motherboard is dead out of box

Jun 2, 2020
I'm currently trying to help my brother build a pc, here is a link to the part list:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Zhrxq3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper H412R 34.1 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 16 GB (1 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666 CL19 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4 GB G1 Gaming Video Card
Case: darkFlash DLM 21 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Raidmax 630 W Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

We specifically ordered the motherboard because it was cheap (goin for a sorta budget build) and didn't need a BIOS update in order to run the Ryzen 3 CPU. We put everything together, tested the boot, and got no signal to the monitor. The boot seemed to loop as everything would power down and then start back up after a second or two. I know the graphics card works since it's the only part that isn't new and it ran in a different pc right before we built this one. The monitor and PSU also work as they worked with a different PC.

We cleared CMOS the short and long way, as well as trying different RAM slots. Checked all power connections to the CPU (4+4 pin connector), GPU (2+6 pin connector), and the 24 pin motherboard power connection. Took the GPU out and tried using the integrated graphics of the CPU. Disconnected all SATA drives and tried seating the GPU again, then took it out again and tried with the integrated graphics. All to no avail. Any suggestions would be great, I'm thinkin' I need to tell my brother that he needs to send this motherboard back. I feel like I could've even broke it since I've never mounted AMD heat sinks before and this one required a decent amount of force to mount. Although everywhere I've searched, everyone says a good amount of force is usually needed to mount the heat sink with AMD CPUs.

Ducko

Prominent
Dec 11, 2019
Hey there man, I think the problem might be your ram.
Before I switched to Intel i had Ryzen 5 1600x and same ram as yours, but it was a 3000MHz version.
System worked fine by itself but when I tried to OC it, it would do the same thing as yours.
Also please check if you plugged in the heatsink fan! System will fail boot forever if you haven't inserted the heatsink fan into the motherboard.

You can add me on discord, I'll try to help you out if none of this works: Ducko#5979.

Jun 2, 2020
Hey there man, I think the problem might be your ram.
Before I switched to Intel i had Ryzen 5 1600x and same ram as yours, but it was a 3000MHz version.
System worked fine by itself but when I tried to OC it, it would do the same thing as yours.
Also please check if you plugged in the heatsink fan! System will fail boot forever if you haven't inserted the heatsink fan into the motherboard.

You can add me on discord, I'll try to help you out if none of this works: Ducko#5979.

Heat sink fan is plugged in for sure, and I haven't touched any overclocking as we just built the pc. The RAM speed of 2666 seems to be listed in the compatible memory speed list for the motherboard too.

TRENDING THREADS