Question ThinkPad X230 keyboard functionality issue

prd1962

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
Hello!

I have a ThinkPad X230 23243QC S/N PK0ZY2Z with i5-3320M CPU @ 2.60 GHz – System Board 1ZSSK698FP1 - BIOS G2ETB7W (2.77) everything works fine, except some of the keys don't type the correct letters

e.g., when I type 6 on the keyboard it shows 6, when I type 7 – it shows 7 & 8; when I type 8 – it shows nothing; when I type y - ]y is shown; when I type "I" nothing is shown etc!

This same keyboard issue happens when running Windows 10, Windows 11 or even Linux Mint!

I replaced the keyboard with a brand-new compatible Lenovo one, and the same keyboard issue remains!

Any suggestions to fix this keyboard issue please?

Lutfij

Titan
There's a possibility that the replacement keyboard might've been faulty to begin with. I've had instances whereby a replacement keyboard was behaving the same way in spite of replacing it. Turned out that the keyboard was faulty from the shop itself. Out of curiosity, where did you source the installer for Windows? Do you have BIOS versions pending for your Lenovo ThinkPad?

prd1962

Reputable
Nov 11, 2019
It seems unlikley that the oprginal keybaord that did work for years and also the new one are defective. What's surprising to me is that thje isseu also happens with Linux Mint - i.e. it does not seem to be a software issue - could there be an issue with the motherboard keyboard connector or motherboard itself?

Windows 10 and Windows 11 are direct downloads from Micorsoft.com which I have installed on 100s of computers to date with no issues, inlcduing no keyboard issues!