Three-Way 22" LED LCD Roundup: Dell, LG, And Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I've put a Jihad out on TN panels. There are so many decent, cheap e-IPS panels out there. At their worst, eIPS screens are better than TN, and at their best comparable to much more expensive IPS units. There isn't really a reason to consider TNs anymore. It's bad enough that every laptop has a TN (except for a few 12" Lenovos), but why rape your precious eyeballs with a terrible TN on your desk? With that said, I look forward to monitor reviews, and this is a pretty good one.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Point taken. The key is finding those good IPS panels. There are good IPS monitors and there are bad ones. In the same way, there are good and bad TNs.

I mean if we're breaking down everything down to tech...
VA are great at black
IPS are probably the best at color accuracy
IPS better at color shift resistance, but you get light bleed at angles.
TNs better than IPS for motion blur, IPS better than VA for motion blur
VA and IPS both suffer a bit from flashlighting and clouding effects
TNs don't have great color, but offer decent middle ground
TNs are dirt cheap
TNs generally have lower lags

Big generalization here. The point is that nothing is perfect. If it was, there would be little point to advance technologies. In the end, you pick your imperfection.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

I can do that. For whatever reason, I don't see that many 1920x1200 monitors. Most of the time I see 1920x1080.

Is there a particular reason that you prefer 1920x1200?

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

clownbaby

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
+1 on 1920x1200 monitors.

"Is there a particular reason that you prefer 1920x1200?"
The extra desktop space really helps in my design workflow and adds quite a bit of space over 2 or 3 monitors.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]I can do that. For whatever reason, I don't see that many 1920x1200 monitors. Most of the time I see 1920x1080.Is there a particular reason that you prefer 1920x1200?Cheers,Andrew KuTomsHardware.com[/citation]

I would also be interested in seeing some 1920x1200 monitors. The reason I prefer that resolution is I find that having that extra vertical space is very useful for productivity software, especially word documents. However, for gaming the resolution really doesn't matter to me.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Any specific monitors? The list is pretty short on 1920x1200.

G

I agree with the above comments. I loath the 16:9 aspect ratio, and would really like to see some coverage of 4:3 or 16:10 monitors, which (IMO) are much more useful for doing work.

ksampanna

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
How about an eyefinity/surround test with a range of TN, IPS monitors across a range of budgets? I know this is pretty huge, but you are toms, so you should be able to easily pull it off.

revjacob

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2008
Yup. Gamer girl just beat me to it. Could you please do a review of E-IPS panels like Dell 2311H and LG IPS236V specially their response time in gaming. Thanks in advance.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]Is there a particular reason that you prefer 1920x1200?Cheers,Andrew KuTomsHardware.com[/citation]

Because 2560x1600 monitors are too expensive lol and
I have large excel tables, multiple windows at the same time.
On the gaming side it would mean the difference seeing that guy on the right-hand corner of your screen and getting shot xD

fstrthnu

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
The Dell Ultrasharp U2410 runs at 1920x1200, I haven't checked any others. From what I've read, it's a pretty darn good IPS monitor.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Point taken Gamer-girl. I'll call Dell up in the morning.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
If you're reviewing white-LED backlit TN LCD displays could you try reviewing one of ASUS's monitors? They seem to have a decent line in their VH###H monitors for someone looking for a budget display, but it's hard to know.

And if not try a roundup of some H-IPS and e-IPS monitors. Seems like these are becoming affordable for people with 200 bucks to spend.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]Point taken Gamer-girl. I'll call Dell up in the morning.Cheers,Andrew KuTomsHardware.com[/citation]

Really is that all you have to do and they just send you one? Now i wanna work at Toms. lol

G

There are lots of sites out there that show testing input lag using a CRT and the tested monitor both displaying the same image and taking pics with a high shutter speed. read here http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-new-definitive-hdtv-lag-faq.55593/ or here showing the testing procedures http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1166196

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
That only tests the lag of the signal. If you're a gamer you care about "Total" lag, from the time you press your mouse to the time you waste the noob at the other side of the door you're bustin' down. Plus, you're assuming that all CRTs behave the same in that there's virtually no lag. That's in an ideal CRT. You need to be careful of creating a test like that because that's not always the case. You get two CRTs and you can get two different results.

I'm working on a total lag benchmark, because it's a more static measurement. Plus, it's something that people can relate to reaction times. You can't really do that with signal lag.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

tapher

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Sony FW900 or equivalent would be good to include, just to remind people what a real high performance monitor is capable of doing, and how far non-CRT displays have to go yet.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010

Seriously? Good writers are difficult to find. I was lucky enough to start young (late teens) thanks to my friend Anand Shimpi many many years ago. I always encourage those interested in writing to submit a sample. You should send a message to our Grand Poobah, Chris Angelini, if you're interested.

People always assume that this job is just about free hardware. If you're only interested in getting free stuff, this really isn't the job for you. You'll get bored after a while (plus it's not free). If you have a real passion for tech, you'll do well.

G

For IPS monitors, some mainstream affordable 23 inch e-IPS screens, Dell U2311H vs LG (they have a few 23 models). Dell U2311H has a nice following already and supposedly packed with features and good review but LG has much better price points $210 to $230 on newegg.com. Same LG panel is used in both monitors, so we can examine the monitors at different price points (since LG is priced considerably lower), plus U2311H is a very popular introductory IPS model so people will be interested.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
I'm a writer but I am interested in the tech, too bad I don't live near any of the countries. Every time something new comes out, I always compare it in my head with whats already available.
Tech moves fast so it is always interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.