To those people angry about not getting their OS CD...

tiffany

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

Well I never contacted support. I was referring to the other people here who
actually called support to get a CD. I honestly didn't notice that the
install CD was missing until I browsed the threads in this newsgroup. I
tried the online chat thing but it kept timing out. Then I looked in the
Dell forums and there was that link I posted.

> Why not ask them? Might be a reason.

TedB

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
wrote:

>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
>own:
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
>This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
>though.

I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

So, now what?

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
> >own:
> >
> >http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
> >
> >This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
> >though.
> >

> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>
> So, now what?

Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?

Notan

>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
program it launches ?

Best Regards,
Bob Johnson
http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

I enjoy the give and take that goes on in this group...well, most of the
time anyway...so much that I sometimes forget about Dell's own Community
Forum. It's a great place to get authoritative information and advice. And
it's moderated.

Ted Zieglar

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:02:19 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>tedB@bommer.net wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:19:49 -0700, "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn your
>> >own:
>> >
>> >http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>> >
>> >This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
>> >though.
>> >

>> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>>
>> So, now what?
>
>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>
>Notan

What "Recovery CD?"

I received no such CD with the computer.

Do I have to make one? If so, how?

(This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
will NEVER buy from them again.)

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:02:19 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
> >tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> >> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
> >> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
> >>
> >> So, now what?
> >
> >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
> >
> >Notan
>
> What "Recovery CD?"
>
> I received no such CD with the computer.
>
> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>
> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
> will NEVER buy from them again.)

When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
the same thing happens... Nothing.

The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.

Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?

Notan

TedB

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:05:37 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>> >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>> >
>> >Notan
>>
>> What "Recovery CD?"
>>
>> I received no such CD with the computer.
>>
>> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>>
>> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>> will NEVER buy from them again.)
>
>When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
>the same thing happens... Nothing.

I have no such menu item as Dell ResourceCD.

I have only Dell OS Recovery CD.

>The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
>
>Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?
>
>Notan

I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.

Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
item in my menu.

I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
regarding this subject.

TedB

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:53:02 -0700, Bob Johnson <goldsheet@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:

>>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>
>I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
>Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
>program it launches ?

I don't know what you mean by the "properties for that option."

I don't have a clue as to the program which it launches.

Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Evidently, I did not receive a CD I should have gotten.
But then maybe not. This whole thing is totally confusing.
I only know one thing for sure: Dell is dead as far as any
future purchases are concerned.

>Best Regards,
>Bob Johnson
>http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
>http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too

<tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:02:19 -0600, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:
>
>>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>>> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>>>
>>> So, now what?
>>
>>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>>
>>Notan
>
> What "Recovery CD?"
>
> I received no such CD with the computer.
>
> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>
> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
> will NEVER buy from them again.)

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 05:00:02 GMT, "Dan Sgambelluri"
<dsgambelluri@shaw.ca> wrote:

><tedB@bommer.net> wrote in message

>>>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>>>
>>>Notan
>>
>> What "Recovery CD?"
>>
>> I received no such CD with the computer.
>>
>> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>>
>> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>> will NEVER buy from them again.)
>
>the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too

I put a blank CD in the drive and clicked on the DELL OS RECOVERY CD
item in the START MENU. Nothing happened.

If I am supposed to have a special CD containing certain files on it
that activate the OS recovery? If so, I don't have it.

As an aside question, if I bought a legal copy of MS XP Pro OS from a
computer shop, would that work to put the OS back on this machine if I
ever lost it, or does DELL/MS have that simple effort thwarted
somehow also?

This is situation is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.

tedB@bommer.net wrote:
> "Dan Sgambelluri" wrote:
> ><tedB@bommer.net> wrote:

> >> What "Recovery CD?"
> >>
> >> I received no such CD with the computer.
> >>
> >> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
> >>
> >> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
> >> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
> >> will NEVER buy from them again.)
> >
> >the CDR or whatever disc you are using to burn the OS too
>
> I put a blank CD in the drive and clicked on the DELL OS RECOVERY CD
> item in the START MENU. Nothing happened.
>
> If I am supposed to have a special CD containing certain files on it
> that activate the OS recovery? If so, I don't have it.
>
> As an aside question, if I bought a legal copy of MS XP Pro OS from a
> computer shop, would that work to put the OS back on this machine if I
> ever lost it, or does DELL/MS have that simple effort thwarted
> somehow also?

You need SATA Drivers floppy which you create with Resource CD.

> This is situation is absolutely UNBELIEVABLE.

What a mess!

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

> <snip>
>
> I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
> for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
>
> Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
> the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
> still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
> Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
> described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
> item in my menu.
>
> I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
> wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
> regarding this subject.

Sorry if my post was confusing... I wasn't suggesting that you should
have a ResourceCD Menu item, just that when there's a Dell Menu item,
in your case, "OS RecoveryCD," that it requires you to put that CD
into the drive.

It sure sounds like you got shorted on the appropriate CD!

Notan

BigJim

thanks for the info, I did exactly what the instructions said and I now have
copy of xp sp2. I wonder why support didn't tell me to use this option.
BTW it took about 15 minutes on a PM 1.6 laptop.
>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>your own:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
> though.

This sure seems to be a situation that is not consistent with every Dell
shipped. I received my 2400 at the end of March and it did not include the
resource CDs with the drivers and such but it did include XP Home with SP2.
I have used it to format and reinstall on the 2400 without a problem. I am
wondering though since I ordered through the small business site could the
home site have different procedures?

Regards,
John O.

> On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 22:53:02 -0700, Bob Johnson
> <goldsheet@nospamyahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.
>>
>>I do not even have a option for "Dell OS Recovery CD" on the menu.
>>Could you tell me the properties for that option and location of
>>program it launches ?
>
> I don't know what you mean by the "properties for that option."
>
> I don't have a clue as to the program which it launches.
>
> Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>

> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
> Evidently, I did not receive a CD I should have gotten.
> But then maybe not. This whole thing is totally confusing.
> I only know one thing for sure: Dell is dead as far as any
> future purchases are concerned.
>

>>Best Regards,
>>Bob Johnson
>>http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
>>http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

>>>I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>>click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
START menu (as you originally described above),
so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

>>tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>>> I have a brand new Dell 8400 w/XP Pro and - I get nothing when I
>>> click on START | PROGRAMS | DELL ACCESSORIES | Dell OS Recovery CD.

>>> So, now what?

>>Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?

>What "Recovery CD?"

>I received no such CD with the computer.

>Do I have to make one? If so, how?

>(This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>will NEVER buy from them again.)

Had you been following the discussions here in
alt.sys.pc-clone.dell in recent months you would have found out:

MS has "encouraged" Dell/Gateway/HP-Compaq/etc to cease providing
OEM OS install CDs to customers due to their perceived rampant
violations of the WinXP OEM user licenses which tie the OS to the
machine that was purchased.

Dell's, and other's, implementation of this is to put a hidden
partition on the HD containing a "Restore to original factory
install" setup. Note that in addition to reinstalling the
original WInWhatever OS, it will also reinstall all of the
superfluous Dell add-ins - the AOL, etc, goodies that are
responsible for most of us wanting an OS install CD so we can do
a clean reinstall.

The idea is that you can create an OS recovery CD from that
hidden partition, so that you can also do a recovery if that
hidden recovery partition is not accessible for some reason.

So far, it appears that Dell will ship the OS install CD on
request, although it may take an email call or two.

Since this is not a Gateway/HP-Compaq/whatever group, information
on their implementation of M$'s desires is not certain, but a few
anecdotal reports here would have it that they are also acceding
to Bill Gates' wishes in this. So good luck in finding a
non-major vendor to buy your next computer from, since you
probably won't want to buy from Gateway/HP-Compaq/etc who are
doing the same thing Dell is. You might want to look somewhere
like Alienware [http://www.alienware.com/]. At the prices they
charge, I suspect you'll still get the OS CD with your purchase
from them.
--
OJ III

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:39:24 -0400, Ogden Johnson III
<oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote:

snipped all

I have e-mailed Dell support via their support Web page interface.

I'll let you all know what happens when I get my answer.

I explained the problem, and I included the URL to their Web page
stating how to go about making the backup OS CD.

Plus I told them I had received 2 Sonic RecordNow CDs and asked what was
it I was supposed to get instead of the 2nd Sonic disc that I did get.

We shall see.

TedB

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 10:05:36 -0700, Bob Johnson

>>Here is the page where the instructions are. Try for yourself.
>>http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
>Thank you for posting the URL. My 8400 does not even
>have a "Dell OS Recovery CD" option available on the
>START menu (as you originally described above),
>so I am unable to try the suggested procedure.

I just got mine a week ago.

Gee, ain't it great dealing with a mainline company whose integrity and
workmanship are above reproach?

>Best Regards,
>Bob Johnson
>http://www.goldsheetlinks.com
>http://www.coinsheetlinks.com

laura

They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I even
called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.

"Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>your own:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>
> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned this
> though.

tiffany

Distinguished
May 3, 2004

It makes a full install CD. What needs do you have that this doesn't cover?

"Laura" <invalid@sample.invalid> wrote in message
> They did mention it. And I knew about the creation of the CD before I even
> called them. But for my needs the recovery CD is not enough.
>
> "Tiffany" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>I just noticed that Dell actually has a utility that allows you to burn
>>your own:
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1091713&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19
>>
>> This begs the question about why none of the support people mentioned
>> this though.

laura

> tedB@bommer.net wrote:

>> >Is your "Recovery CD" in the drive?
>> >
>> >Notan
>>
>> What "Recovery CD?"
>>
>> I received no such CD with the computer.
>>
>> Do I have to make one? If so, how?
>>
>> (This is unbelievable that a company such as Dell would make such a
>> problem for its customers. Do they think that everyone is tech? I
>> will NEVER buy from them again.)
>
> When I go to Start | Programs | Dell Accessories | Dell ResourceCD,
> the same thing happens... Nothing.
>
> The system is asking me to put the ResourceCD into the drive.
>
> Did you receive *any* CDs with your system?

Those of us with new machines did not receive ANY OS or Recovery CDs with
the machine. That utility is designed to create our Recovery CD in lieu of
Dell sending us a OS CD. I haven't tried making mine yet. Maybe I should.

laura

> tedB@bommer.net wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> I got a disc for the CRT monitor, one for reinstalling the modem, one
>> for reinstalling WordPerfect, and 2 for reinstalling Sonic RecordNow.
>>
>> Now, let me guess, the bastards sent me a second Sonic disc instead of
>> the ResourceCd you are mentioning? However, even if that is so, I
>> still am not getting *any* response at all when I click on Dell OS
>> Recovery CD. As I said, I do not have any menu item such as you
>> described which asks for "ResourceCD." There is no mention of such an
>> item in my menu.
>>
>> I'd send Dell a blistering email, except it would probably end up in a
>> wastebasket, as, I'm sure, have others from a slew of angry customers
>> regarding this subject.
>
> Sorry if my post was confusing... I wasn't suggesting that you should
> have a ResourceCD Menu item, just that when there's a Dell Menu item,
> in your case, "OS RecoveryCD," that it requires you to put that CD
> into the drive.
>
> It sure sounds like you got shorted on the appropriate CD!

That's the whole point of the conversation. Dell no longer provides OS CD or
Recovery CDs with new machines. They provide a utility designed to create
your own. Now it looks like that is not working for people either.