Tom's Hardware Member System Gallery

Page 180 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

henry.j.kautz

Prominent
Jul 21, 2018
DSC05077.JPG

i5-2400, 6GB RAM, RX 460, 2x 250 GB HDD, 128GB SSD, EVGA 450BR PSU.

Spray painted black (in pic the inside of the case is still unpainted), metal mesh drive bay cover, red LED fan to shine through front.

Originally an Optiplex 390.

Dec 3, 2018

Dell optiplex 7010 i got for free from an office:

• Core i7 3770 @ 3.4ghz
  • 6gb ddr3 ram
  • MSI Radeon RX 460 2 gb OC (bought used for $45, works fine)
  • 275 watt stock psu
  • 500 gb hd
  • Windows 10 Pro
Runs most games 1080p 60fps on medium

JeffsS

Prominent
Apr 8, 2019
Im officially "only" six years behind now. Here is my system as it stands now.
  • MSI 970 Gaming MB
  • AMD FX 8350 CPU
  • MSI RX 570 Armor 8Gb GPU
  • Patriot Viper III DDR3 1866MHz 16GB RAM
  • Phanteks Pro M CASE
  • Dell Gaming LED-Lit Monitor 27"
  • CRYORIG A40 Ultimate Hybrid Liquid Cooler 240mm x 38mm
  • LINKUP Sleeved Cable Extension
  • Assorted SSD and HD
  • MonkeyMods decals
  • Assorted fans
  • Windows 10 Just came from 7 not long ago.

• dcoi3ppdhLqowtZ5O9Emphu_Z4Yj6HuanfYeZUnTADIGvLWEieoqg7cokIEK0BnE2IM9he9mBtrYNKGyg10BBi6RJDxsJ7pavdaiw_VtEvJrnWr276kJryg2Ekw_2oEnlA8tInIFc00mTr5FFBeUMMig2JDdAOkzXTWDmzNeSehCJaDOUTMqf0zkehREjam97usUzhSE_DXXKAki6ceZK2MYUnsLW1CnwZBNNw9FFzdY7udaQliRkODTQW8FhRtZ8Pc72akl39NHK8trEYuWgWf2sgATDFgVmLEGCNHMyfj-NzsgOQJFXVMrr9gqdg7YT0wBOEYjXdGKEptc__LQJsH-h56z5DpuahR45NG3ItDbiGUAEazRGvL2IhdXqNpxuw6cHRMjluMo1zz8vaankWcly-SkEDZw57ooJP8sT83Q_OZuuRBA9xxw4dpQhsUfm5eFyQ3_W4VbFsv-njTjVf5ux-z-j734eAjtopFpRgw5JGTQEv7dC_1_KZJlhkzoxIWgHDW1kfe5eb2ANaiIAyNoFdd3PAfhNWAnabRhCEO3XBOTYQei3Pxreg50m-LSrKyhC-lU-4qMQ_OFqkvO1_dxRNqBYcBMjASleGzWkpWh74kdP9OrAWe0wvUtWgFUOl_5XzyRCjZpJDvFQ9rISuvw8aFcpHI=w1038-h937-no

Jun 21, 2019
steamcommunity.com
Ex_Machina

PC specs :

► CPU : Intel® Core™ i7-7700K (8M Cache, up to 4.50 GHz)

► CPU Cooler : BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3

► Mobo : Asus ROG Strix H270I Gaming (Intel® H270 Chipset)

► Case : Thermaltake Core P90

► RAM : Corsair Vengeance® LPX 16GB DDR4 DRAM 2400MHz C14

► Graphics Card : Asus GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Turbo + BeQuiet! Dark Rock mod

► SSD : Samsung 250GB NVMe M.2 960 EVO + Samsung 850 EVO 200GB + Samsung PM871 512GB

► HDD : 2X WD 3TB

► Mouse : Roccat Kone Pure

► Keyboards : Razer Orbweaver Elite + Modecom Multimedia keyboard

► Controller : Xbox -Wireless- Phantom Black Special Edition

► Displayers : Philips 43PUH6101/88 (4K, 43") + Samsung LS34E790CNS (34")

► PSU : EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

► UPS : Gembird 850VA USB

► OS : Windows 10 X64 Enterprise

PlayStation 4™Pro MOD :

Dark Rock TF
2X BeQuiet! Pure Wings 2 80mm PWM
1TB Crucial SSD

hildebranddj

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
I've shared it elsewhere, but figured I'd add mine to the build list. It has taken me close to 8 years to get it to this point, buying used parts here and there to get me by, but the last 2 years I have made a bit to finally get some new components and finally finish off this build. Its fairly obsolete at this point, but I am more of a retro/ casual gamer, and not an online gamer unless its Diablo 3 or Minecraft off a friends server. Did my best to keep things as neat and clean as possible. System will pretty much does what I want it to do, even runs Autocad flawlessly now with the RX580 in place over the dodgy R7/360 I had before that i tried overclocking, and probably damaged, but ran okay on a bit under stock clocks.. System now seems to have decent airflow and temps. Case temp at idle is 23C, pops up to 44C when both the CPU and GPU are wound up, probably be better if the MoBo supported PWM fans on the headers, only the CPU Cooler is PWM. I had to mod the CPU cooler a bit, had to polish and level the base to make better contact with the CPU, CPU seems to be 21C idle and ive seen 45C fully loaded. GPU Idle is 35 and peaks at 67 with my current game running (Skyrim on ultra, not HD Skryim). So she may not be a Ryzen powered, 1080TI FPS Screaming war machine but for an older build on a disabled mans income, it fits the ticket and shows, building a system slowly can still achieve decent if not great results.

3DMark Timespy in Demo Mode score was 4150 as my best, 30 FPS seems to be all it has for 2k Resolution, unchangeable for demo version. oddly the Processor is where it gets hit on Physics with a 15-18 FPS..

On to the build!

Cougar Challenger Orange Case
1 200mm Red LED Front fan
3 120 MM Cougar "Hydraulic Bearing" Case Fans
Corsair HX650 Semi Modular PSU
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4 Motherboard with F3 Bios
AMD FX-8350 Black Unlocked CPU Running stock clocks
Coolermaster Hyper Evo 212 CPU cooler,
16 GB Team Dark DDR3 1600 RAM in Dual Channel
MSI Radeon RX580 8GB GPU running stock clocks
256 GB Samsung 860 PRO SSD
1TB Samsung 860 PRO SSD
1 TB WD Blue 3.5" drive
1 TB WD Caviar Green HDD Now in a Reserve Bay for BAckups
TP Link 300Mbps Wireless Network Card (heh, overkill for a 7 Meg connection)
Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse with custom added lead shot to help my nerve twitch
Corsair RGP00036 Mechanical Red LED Keyboard, added Cherry MX Orings to most keys
29" LG 720p TV as a monitor (I run the XBOX, Computer and my Firestick on it, made more since to get a decent LED TV over spending a ton on a gaming monitor this size)
Blue Ray Burner
Lightscribe DVD Burner
5 in One Card Reader custom modded into the old 3.5 Floppy Bay
Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 Speakers
Plantronics Gamecomm Headset
Windows 10 Pro

Reactions: DMAN999

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
PecrXb1l.jpg

QSCmlHpl.jpg

0X4r04Rl.jpg

DXz1Becl.jpg

Case: Cooler Master H500P Mesh (top panel modded with aluminum mesh)
Cpu: 7820x
Cooler: NH-D15S
Motherboard: X299 Asus Prime Deluxe (Thunderbolt EX 3 card and fan controller included)
Ram: 16GB 3466mhz G.Skill Ripjaws V
Gpu: Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DX
Storage: 1x 512GB 970 Pro M.2 SSD, 1x 1TB 860 Pro, 1x 1TB 850 Evo
PSU: 750w Seasonic Prime Titanium
Fans: 9x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC 3000 Pwm
Speaker: Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 set
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95
Mouse: Steelseries Rival 600
Printer: HP Photosmart C7280 AIO
Monitor: 1x Asus PG278QR, 1x Asus VG248QE
Didn't need to do HEDT, but I did so to satisfy my curiosity. Also, as shown in the pics, I'm not a fan of the RGB madness. =P

Reactions: helper800
I also got a new (Well, not NEW, but different) phone too. Swapped out my On5 for a S6 Edge, and it takes WAY better pictures. It was only used for about two months, then put away in a drawer so it's like new and is still a pretty damn good phone even now and definitely has a much better camera than my weak old On5. Still need to get a DSLR though.

Next up, working on custom sleeved cables for my G2 750 which is more of a project than expected due to the inline caps. I might go a different direction and replace it with a Prime Titanium that doesn't have them.

I was originally only going to get a regular 2060 until I realized that none of them would work with my EVGA Powerlink connector, and that only the XC models of the Super had the power connectors at the end of the card instead of a single eight pin in the middle of the card, so that the Powerlink connector could be used.

Last edited:
I also got a new (Well, not NEW, but different) phone too. Swapped out my On5 for a S6 Edge, and it takes WAY better pictures. It was only used for about two months, then put away in a drawer so it's like new and is still a pretty damn good phone even now and definitely has a much better camera than my weak old On5. Still need to get a DSLR though.

Next up, working on custom sleeved cables for my G2 750 which is more of a project than expected due to the inline caps. I might go a different direction and replace it with a Prime Titanium that doesn't have them.

I was originally only going to get a regular 2060 until I realized that none of them would work with my EVGA Powerlink connector, and that only the XC models of the Super had the power connectors at the end of the card instead of a single eight pin in the middle of the card, so that the Powerlink connector could be used.

Man I wish I had money to get you a S10. You would be blown away by how much better they have gotten picture wise since the S6.

Oh, I'm sure. I was reading that the new S10+ rivals some DSLR cameras now in terms of what it can do and clarity of images. I can't imagine that, but then again, this camera on this phone is probably better than any camera I've ever owned. I can't justify spending that kind of money on a phone that is not likely to last as long as an actual camera would though. Can't really afford the camera either considering what all I've spent recently but I'm eyeballing a couple anyhow. LOL.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I used to have a Nikon EM with Nikkor 35/2.8, 85/1.8 and an E series 80-200 zoom. For a starter SLR, it was really good, cost about $1k back then all told (Nikkor lenses are the best, but pricy!)

Unfortunately it got stolen by someone at a party at my house, never figured out who.

Right now I'm using a Panasonic Lumix FZ-47, it's got one of the best digital zoom out of any recent cameras and a fantastic Leica lens. $500 with kit, bag, tripod etc.

ch33r

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 13, 2010
View: https://imgur.com/a/SYhDlyP

Case: Couger Panzer Max
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master
CPU: AMD Яyzen 3900X 12-Core 3.8GHz Turbo 4.6GHz:
RAM: G-Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB DDR4-3600MHz Dual Channel
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super OC Edition
Storage: Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe 4.0 5GBps SSD, Seagate 4TB HDD
PSU: SeaSonic Platinum 850W
Extras: Elgado 1080p60 capture card, 7 case fans, Bluetooth dongle

I win

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Msi mpower z77 big bang edition
Intel i7-3770K @ 4.9GHz
Nzxt Kraken x61
Fractal design Define R5 Window
Evga G2 550w
Asus Strix GTX970 DC2 @ 124% OC
Patriot Intel Extreme Masters 1866MHz 16Gb
Samsung 840 Pro 128Gb
Wd Black 1Tb
Extras: just 2 stock case fans (none more needed), Bluetooth and wifi on mobo, so no extras needed.

Almost 7 years ago, still running today, cost: $600.

I win. And can afford to buy you a new shirt since you just lost yours.

Reactions: WildCard999

antr1x

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
MotherboardAsus ROG Zenith Extreme
CPUAMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX
RAMG.SKILL Trident Z DDR4 128GB 3600
GPU #1Asus ROG MATRIX RTX 2080 TI
GPU #2Asus ROG MATRIX RTX 2080 TI
MonitorSamsung Curved C49RG90SSI 49"
Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro series 1TB M.2
Storage #2Kingston HyperX Savage 480/960 Gb
CPU CoolerAsus ROG Ryujin Aura OLED 360
CaseAsus ROG Helios
Power SupplyAsus ROG Thor 1200W

tovEr7I.jpg

B8dQSMN.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mezoxin

Sabbahasto

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
www.okpal.com
Hi all!

As someone who likes old Hi-Fi gear and collects old Sanyo Hi-Fi components, I decided to take one old Sanyo amplifier and integrate my computer inside of it. That way I can have my PC as a part of my Hi-Fi tower!

dI6Prbi.jpg

I used standard desktop components I had in my PC, but my goal was to have the whole front completely functional, all the knobs and switches.
I know this is not the top of the line PC, but it is my baby I have been using for years now and its still serving me great, so be gentle :)

Iw1rpZV.jpg

Original amp had to be gutted, and many modifications had to be made to the main shell. While I was at it, I also customized almost all the components inside, and made many parts out of copper and wood.

M71RwoN.jpg

Bottom part of the case had to be separate from top so I could fit original 1978 switches inside, and to make room for three hard drives. I separated bottom and top sections with one piece of hand cut copper plate (2mm thick). Purpose of copper is purely cosmetical, there is no special reason (heat etc) behind it. That plate sits on four steel feet with anti vibration rubber on bottom and top, painted in copper.
Back plate is made one part from copper (where motherboard comes), and one part in wood (where graphics card comes).
Since there is a serious height problem with that kind of case, I had to use PCI-Express riser to place graphics card horizontally and Noctuas low profile CPU cooler in order for everything to fit inside.

AnJSAdO.jpg

Graphics card and motherboard both got a new paint job and wooden inserts.

Front functionality, starting from left to right:
  • Top two knobs control fan speeds
  • Power switch turns on the computer
  • Green light for HDD activity
  • USB 3.0 port hidden behind a knob
  • 2 switches to turn on/off fans
  • 2 switches to turn on/off LCDs
  • Above switches - left LCD shows case temperature and the right one - CPU temperature
  • Largest knob is for volume control
  • below it, another USB 3.0 hidden behind a knob
  • Big red power light

ScRAGoQ.jpg

Outer shell has been made from scratch, using 1.5mm aluminum mesh and profiles. Top plate is hinged, so it is extremely easy to take a look inside ;)

And finally, all the copper got a nice polished finish and the rest was painted in mat black.

I hope you will like it as much as I liked working on it. It took me some time, but to me, its more then worth it.
And don`t judge it by the old components... I worked with what I got ;)

And yes, here are the specs:

• Intel i7 970 @3.6GHz
  • EVGA X58 SLI Classified
  • 24 GB DDR3
  • Geforce GTX 970, 4GB
  • 2x 250GB SSD
  • 1x WD Green 1TB
  • 1x WD Blue 2TB

Have a nice day everybody!

Hz3pyd9.jpg

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
According to my phone, there's 180 pages of postings, builds, comments and pictures just in this thread alone. And by far, to me anyways, the single most impressive builds are the ones like yours. Someone who took the time, care and loving attention to build something spectacular. Anyone can go out and buy a bunch of parts, and admittedly have a really nice pc, but at the end of the day, their only bragging right is 'hey, look what I bought'. You get to brag 'hey, look what I Built!' Huge difference.

Kudos man, that's awesome. For lack of a better word.

Sabbahasto

Reputable
Sep 26, 2019
www.okpal.com
And here is another one ;)

20 years ago Intel released Pentium III Coppermine, the last processor to use the unique Slot 1 (SECC2 - Single Edge Contact cartridge 2).

Lbq59zA.jpg

This builds is dedicated to the good old times of hunting the 1GHz mark, and to show how even 20 years ago, computers were not that different inside.

scs89Fb.jpg

I started this build when my friend who owns a PC shop messaged me two pictures of a PC and said "I know you like this old crap, do you want it or should I throw it away?". Idea popped in my mind as soon as I saw the computer... and I spent many days designing it in my head, thinking of what can be done and how... which component do I need to get, how to paint, how to this and that... and then, when I came home from vacation, the build started.

ockqn51.jpg

This is a fully functional Windows 98SE PC now.

Other components used in it are:

• Epox EP-BX3 Motherboard
  • 3x 128MB SDRAM
  • Geforce 2 MX 400, 32MB