[SOLVED] Transferring files to new Win10 install

nikkolaus

Honorable
Jun 7, 2015
So, I know this sounds stupid, but it's been forever since I've done such things and I just need a helping hand...

I have two M.2 NVME drives. They are both mounted to my motherboard. The old M.2 has an old version of windows on it, all my files, photos, documents, desktop icons etc...

The new M.2 has a fresh install of windows on it, and twice the old M.2's capacity...

Is there any easy way to port over all my old info so that I don't have to install anything over again or wait forever for my stuff to copy over?

Solution
Indeed. And if the goal is to have one's existing Windows 10 installation ported over to a new drive lock, stock, and barrel then the best way to do it is to clone the existing drive to the new one, then expand partition(s) to take advantage of the additional space.

And a disk clone on SSDs should not take all that long to begin with.
D

Deleted member 14196

Nope. You would have to clone the old system to the new one in order to have everything installed but since you’ve already installed windows on the new one you have a choice to make

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
Indeed. And if the goal is to have one's existing Windows 10 installation ported over to a new drive lock, stock, and barrel then the best way to do it is to clone the existing drive to the new one, then expand partition(s) to take advantage of the additional space.

And a disk clone on SSDs should not take all that long to begin with.

Solution