psychobacter

Honorable
Jul 2, 2019
I'm having trouble enabling TPM 2.0 on my ASUS laptop, which is preventing me from playing Valorant. When I try to launch the game, I receive an error message stating:

Your account does not meet the following requirements in order to play - TPM 2.0 enabled.

Upon checking the TPM Management Console, I see a message stating Compatible TPM cannot be found. My laptop's UEFI Firmware settings do not have any option related to TPM. The only related option available is for enabling or disabling Secure Boot.

What I've tried:​

1. Restoring Secure Boot Keys to factory settings.
  2. Resetting the BIOS.
  3. Reflashing the latest BIOS.
  4. Performing a CMOS reset.
None of these attempts have resolved the issue.

Background:​

I can confirm that my laptop originally had a TPM chip, as I successfully installed Windows 11 on it a few months after its launch without using any TPM-related workarounds. However, I reverted to Windows 10 after a brief period due to personal preferences. Additionally, Asus lists my device as being compatible with Windows 11 (https://www.asus.com/microsite/2021/windows11/device/).

Approximately a year ago, I accidentally damaged my laptop's LCD panel. In an attempt to fix it, I tried connecting an internal LCD panel from another laptop, which unfortunately resulted in damaging the motherboard. I sent the laptop to a local repair shop, and they returned it after two months, citing difficulties in acquiring a compatible 144Hz display.
At the time, I didn't inquire about which specific components they repaired or replaced on the motherboard. Now, I'm considering the possibility that they might have had to disable TPM and/or Intel ME to make the laptop functional with the replaced components.

Additional Information:​

Currently, the Intel ME option under PCH-FW in the UEFI firmware settings appears as disabled for my device. The laptop has an Intel i7-9750H processor. The product page for this processor indicates support for Intel Software Guard Extensions (which is related to Intel ME), but HWiNFO System Summary shows it as disabled.

Furthermore, while the processor's product page states support for Intel Virtualization Technology (VT-x), CPU-Z shows it as disabled, even though I have enabled Virtualization in the UEFI Firmware Settings.

Questions:​

1. Is TPM related to Intel SGX and/or Intel ME?
  2. Could the repair shop have disabled TPM, Intel ME, or replaced components affecting these features?
  3. Is it possible that the repair shop replaced the PCH but forgot to flash the ME firmware, resulting in Intel ME, Intel SGX, and TPM all being disabled?
Any advice or information to help resolve this issue would be greatly appreciated.

My Setup:​

Code:
Model: ASUS ROG Zephyrus M GU502GU
Edition: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 22H2
Installed on: ‎15-‎09-‎2024
OS build: 19045.4780
Experience: Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19060.1000.0
CPU: i7 9750H
GPU: GTX 1660Ti

HW-Info-System-Summary.png
CPU-Z.png

1. TPM is in the CPU but has to be enabled/disabled thru BIOS
2. Repair shop possibly flashed a BIOS without TPM being enabled by default. Probably an earlier one. You can see BIOS version in MB tab. Compare that version with what's available om manufacturer's site. BIOS/UEFI can be accessed and changed thru special software.
Did they just install Windows ?
In Device Manager you should se TPM in Security devices.

psychobacter

Honorable
Jul 2, 2019
1. TPM is in the CPU but has to be enabled/disabled thru BIOS
As I stated in my post, my laptop's UEFI firmware settings do not have any option related to TPM.

Compare that version with what's available om manufacturer's site. BIOS/UEFI can be
Again, as I stated in my original post, I reflashed the latest BIOS from ASUS's support page for my device.

Did they just install Windows ?
No, I had kept the SSD with me before sending it for repair.

In Device Manager you should se TPM in Security devices.
There is no such thing as "Security Devices" in Device Manager.