Question Unstable Ping in iOS devices with various WiFi Hotspots

AkashTech

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2015
Hi there!

I have this weird issue where I can't seems to understand what's causing the problem.

So, my locality do not have broadband connectivity, so I have to rely on 4G hotspot to use my devices and I face weird ping fluctuations and packet loss in my iPhone and iPad, while having no issue on my laptop and Android phone.

I tested it by pinging 1.1.1.1 and my average ping on my laptop and Android phone was like 40-60ms.

However, when I ping 1.1.1.1 at the same time (or even when no other device is connected), my average ping varies from 80ms to 300ms in my iPad and iPhone.

I tested on my friends' iPhone and the issue seems to be in their devices as well.

Also, I tried creating hotspot with different devices and the result was similar. Even hotspot created with iPhone had high ping on the iPad.

It really causes issues whenever I play games like PUBG Mobile because I don't get hitmarkers properly, I just see blood. Also, there have been a lot of other issues. I don't face these issues in my Android phone.

I don't get proper 4G signal in my area, that's why I have to rely on 4G hotspot.

Here's quick look at the issues-

• Unstable Ping when pinging any other network (i.e., 1.1.1.1). No issue on my Android or Laptop.

• No ping issue when pinging 192.168.1.1 (better ping than the Android phone).

• Packet Loss.

Here are the things I have tried-

• Tried different WiFi hotspots.

• Tried 5 GHz band.

• Tried switching channel. (no other WiFi network is close though)

• Tried using iPhone's Hotspot with iPad, yet same issue.

• Disabled iCloud Backup and Background App Refresh.

• Enabled Low Data mode, to avoid background data usage.

For a long time, I cursed my 4G operator for being bad but now realized it was due to my devices itself. 😅 Please provide some suggestion, if you have any idea about it.

It really sucks while playing online shooter games. :( Can't switch to Android either.