[SOLVED] Unusual connection issues; connection quality crumbles and only when gaming.

May 19, 2021
My internet connection vastly deteriorates when entering a game and has some unusual behaviour.

I'm going to use League of Legends as an example as that is the game I've been really testing this experience on. My network works perfectly on all devices, including this PC. Surfing the web is quick, videos don't buffer and are played at high quality with no problems, However, when I enter a game, that is when I encounter problems.

When I am on the loading screen to league of legends, I am shown that my ms is at 29. As soon as I load into the game, I am essentially stuck. My game is not frozen, but unresponsive. My ping fluctuates from 400ms all the way to 6000ms and if I wait long enough, I reach numbers like 13000ms.When I order an action e.g. a move command, my character will not follow that command, or atleast not without a long delay. When I tab out of the game and quickly tab back in, my character is following the command of when I ordered that move command. I experimented by windowing my game and observing while being "focused" on another window. When my game is running in the background it functions normally, my ms drops to 36ms and my character is seen following my previous commands.

At some stages, if I am tabbed into my game and wait long enough, the game is played normally by everyone else except myself. I am able to see ally and enemy players fight, move smoothly, use spells etc. without any rubber-banding or delay, the game appears to be playable yet I am still unable to command my character while my ms is still displayed in the 3 or 4 digits.

This occurs through all my online games (where I can notice it), while Youtube plays normally in the background.

I did a speed test. When I don't have the game loaded, I have a download speed of 26.64 Mbps and an upload speed of 12.84mbps. When I am in my game window, my download speed reduces to 4.41 mbps and an upload speed of 3.02mbps.

This has been occurring sporadically for about over a year, about as long as I've had this PC and my new setup. I can go months without ever encountering this problem, and suddenly this issue appears. This issue lasts between a few days to multiple weeks until it manages to resolve itself. This has become frustrating as it's unpredictable and I have no solution to this problem.

I have installed new wifi usb adapter drivers, new gpu drivers, and motherboard drivers. I am unable to find a fitting ethernet cable as my house uses outdated ports. I have also tested this on a brand new Driver that had nothing installed. I installed League of Legends, tested it, then installed drivers, and tested it again with no avail. In desperate need for possible sources and solutions. Thanks in advance.

specs;
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six core
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series
Motherboard: B450M S2H
Wireless Network Adapter: Netgear Genie A6100

Solution
My internet connection vastly deteriorates when entering a game and has some unusual behaviour.

I'm going to use League of Legends as an example as that is the game I've been really testing this experience on. My network works perfectly on all devices, including this PC. Surfing the web is quick, videos don't buffer and are played at high quality with no problems, However, when I enter a game, that is when I encounter problems.

When I am on the loading screen to league of legends, I am shown that my ms is at 29. As soon as I load into the game, I am essentially stuck. My game is not frozen, but unresponsive. My ping fluctuates from 400ms all the way to 6000ms and if I wait long enough, I reach numbers like 13000ms.When I order an...

The Idiot

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2013

When I am on the loading screen to league of legends, I am shown that my ms is at 29. As soon as I load into the game, I am essentially stuck. My game is not frozen, but unresponsive. My ping fluctuates from 400ms all the way to 6000ms and if I wait long enough, I reach numbers like 13000ms.When I order an action e.g. a move command, my character will not follow that command, or atleast not without a long delay. When I tab out of the game and quickly tab back in, my character is following the command of when I ordered that move command. I experimented by windowing my game and observing while being "focused" on another window. When my game is running in the background it functions normally, my ms drops to 36ms and my character is seen following my previous commands.

At some stages, if I am tabbed into my game and wait long enough, the game is played normally by everyone else except myself. I am able to see ally and enemy players fight, move smoothly, use spells etc. without any rubber-banding or delay, the game appears to be playable yet I am still unable to command my character while my ms is still displayed in the 3 or 4 digits.

This occurs through all my online games (where I can notice it), while Youtube plays normally in the background.

I did a speed test. When I don't have the game loaded, I have a download speed of 26.64 Mbps and an upload speed of 12.84mbps. When I am in my game window, my download speed reduces to 4.41 mbps and an upload speed of 3.02mbps.

This has been occurring sporadically for about over a year, about as long as I've had this PC and my new setup. I can go months without ever encountering this problem, and suddenly this issue appears. This issue lasts between a few days to multiple weeks until it manages to resolve itself. This has become frustrating as it's unpredictable and I have no solution to this problem.

I have installed new wifi usb adapter drivers, new gpu drivers, and motherboard drivers. I am unable to find a fitting ethernet cable as my house uses outdated ports. I have also tested this on a brand new Driver that had nothing installed. I installed League of Legends, tested it, then installed drivers, and tested it again with no avail. In desperate need for possible sources and solutions. Thanks in advance.

specs;
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 six core
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Radeon RX 570 Series
Motherboard: B450M S2H
Wireless Network Adapter: Netgear Genie A6100
Try some of these suggestions https://dotesports.com/league-of-legends/news/how-to-fix-high-ping-in-league-of-legends

Solution