Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 22, 2021
Hi all
I am upgrading a system for a friend, from a Ryzen 3 3200g to a Ryzen 5 5600x on an AsRock x570m Pro4 motherboard. Initially I just stuck the new CPU in and tried bios flashing the required update to no avail (computer would start and then turn off after 10s, fans etc. all working normally but no display). I then reset the cmos by taking out the battery and using a key and then a screwdriver as the jumper. Same issue. So I then put back in the old CPU and everything worked fine, so I went into the bios and flashed the update. I then put in the 5600x again and booted. Same issue with fans etc. working but no display and it would turn off after 10s. I tried again with resetting the cmos but that didn't work either. I should make note that I tried plugging my display cable into both the GPU and directly into the motherboard whenever I changed something.

I'm at my wits end and have no idea how I can get the computer to boot with the 5600x installed, any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
hi, you probably have done bad bios flashing
to flash your bios for ryzen 5000 serie, u will need to use mattise CPU. 3200G is not mattise

now lemme explain why you need it

your bios has 32MB sizeand is divided into two parts, 16MB lower part and 16MB upper part (its a dual bios inside one chip to support more generations of CPUs without breaking compatibility)
when you use 3200G, bios will run lower part, and updating bios will update just that lower part
once you swap CPU (5000 serie), it will run on upper part, which was not updated and runs on older bios version (for mattise)
bios notes does say that you need to use mattise to support 5000 serie

there is a workaround tho
1) download latest bios for you mainboard and extract its...
As you are no doubt aware, the 3200g has integrated graphics but the 5600x does not so you will always have to have the monitor plugged into the GPU when you run the 5600x. Can you check in the BIOS that it has indeed updated to the new BIOS version?

to flash your bios for ryzen 5000 serie, u will need to use mattise CPU. 3200G is not mattise

your bios has 32MB sizeand is divided into two parts, 16MB lower part and 16MB upper part (its a dual bios inside one chip to support more generations of CPUs without breaking compatibility)
when you use 3200G, bios will run lower part, and updating bios will update just that lower part
once you swap CPU (5000 serie), it will run on upper part, which was not updated and runs on older bios version (for mattise)

1) download latest bios for you mainboard and extract its content to a usb drive
https://download.asrock.com/BIOS/AM4/X570M Pro4(3.60)ROM.zip
extracted file rename to something short like bios.rom (as you will need to type that name later on twice)

2) download afu (bios updating tool for aptio V) and place it on your usb stick
https://github.com/holoto/efi_shell_flash_bios/raw/master/a64.efi

3) boot into efi shell (if your bios doesnt have it built in, download it here)
that shell.efi can be executed from your bios setup boot options (launch efi shell)
if your bios setup doesnt have efi shell option, then rename Shell.efi to Bootx64.efi and place it in EFI\Boot location on your usb drive and boot it under uefi enviroment

once you got to efi shell (command line)
type in:
fs0:
A64 bios.rom /p /b /n /k /l /x /ATR /CMD:{TOP16M} /RLC:F
A64 bios.rom /p /b /n /k /l /x /CMD:{BOTTOM16M} /RLC:F

that will update both bios parts without using mattise cpu

Last edited:
Solution
Oct 22, 2021
As you are no doubt aware, the 3200g has integrated graphics but the 5600x does not so you will always have to have the monitor plugged into the GPU when you run the 5600x. Can you check in the BIOS that it has indeed updated to the new BIOS version?

Yes, sorry I didn't make that part very clear. I am pretty confident I flashed the bios successfully but I will check tomorrow and get back to you

Reactions: kurdtnz
Oct 22, 2021

1) download latest bios for you mainboard and extract its content to a usb drive
https://download.asrock.com/BIOS/AM4/X570M Pro4(3.60)ROM.zip
extracted file rename to something short like bios.rom (as you will need to type that name later on twice)

2) download afu (bios updating tool for aptio V) and place it on your usb stick
https://github.com/holoto/efi_shell_flash_bios/raw/master/a64.efi

3) boot into efi shell (if your bios doesnt have it built in, download it here)
that shell.efi can be executed from your bios setup boot options (launch efi shell)
if your bios setup doesnt have efi shell option, then rename Shell.efi to Bootx64.efi and place it in EFI\Boot location on your usb drive and boot it under uefi enviroment

once you got to efi shell (command line)
type in:
fs0:
A64 bios.rom /p /b /n /k /l /x /ATR /CMD:{TOP16M} /RLC:F
A64 bios.rom /p /b /n /k /l /x /CMD:{BOTTOM16M} /RLC:F

that will update both bios parts without using mattise cpu

That makes a lot of sense, wish it would have stated that before I began... I will follow this process tomorrow and get back to you. Many thanks, friend

That makes a lot of sense, wish it would have stated that before I began... I will follow this process tomorrow and get back to you. Many thanks, friend
i just noticed, that guide is posted on their bios update notes aswell

albait its there in notes just for 3.00 version...
*To support Renoir/Ryzen™ 5000 processors, it requires to update the BIOS with Matisse CPU.
*If you use Pinnacle Ridge or Picasso, please refer to the "Steps to Update Renoir/ Ryzen™ 5000 Supported BIOS" to update the BIOS.

so if you download 3.0 bios, u can use theirs guide as they have automated script there
once done, swap cpu and you can update to never bios version

post above is the same thing

Last edited:
Reactions: Athzalar
Oct 22, 2021
i just noticed, that guide is posted on their bios update notes aswell

albait its there in notes just for 3.00 version...
*To support Renoir/Ryzen™ 5000 processors, it requires to update the BIOS with Matisse CPU.
*If you use Pinnacle Ridge or Picasso, please refer to the "Steps to Update Renoir/ Ryzen™ 5000 Supported BIOS" to update the BIOS.

so if you download 3.0 bios, u can use theirs guide as they have automated script there
once done, swap cpu and you can update to never bios version

post above is the same thing

I tried this method and it seems to have solved the issue of the computer turning off after 10s or so. Now the problem is I don't have a display... GPU is Rtx 3060, tried both HDMI and display port cables in every slot

Oct 22, 2021
I tried this method and it seems to have solved the issue of the computer turning off after 10s or so. Now the problem is I don't have a display... GPU is Rtx 3060, tried both HDMI and display port cables in every slot

Not to worry, it was an issue with the riser cable.

That being said, thank you for the help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.