[SOLVED] Upgraded GPU and pc won't run

auriaska99

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Hello, so I had my old machine
I3 2120
Hd 6670
ddr3 2x4gb 1366hz
300w PSU (god knows who made it since its all Chinese except for numbers)
SSD 128gb
HDD 500gb
w10 64bit.

And decided to Upgrade my graphics since it was dragging me down a lot, i got a great deal on RX 570 4gb ITX and bought it even tho i know its overkill for my cpu,
Of course, i realized my PSU is not going to be enough (not to mention that it had no 6pin connector)
I upgraded my PSU (which isn't great but shouldn't be so bad as to fail to run GPU) and got a better monitor at the same time since mine was ancient, and this is where the problem comes,
I connected my new GPU added 6pin connector i power my pc fans start to spin but that's it, I press power button pc shuts down but runs again,
I tho that this might be PSU but i connected my old GPU and it worked,

I tried it multiple times checked connections tried cleaning drivers in safe mode and nothing helped that GPU displays nothing.

IDK where to start what to do i spent so much time trying to fix this, and i was so enthusiastic on trying witcher 3 or other games and now I'm just in the shitty mood with GPU and all additional upgrades i wasted my money.

I really hope for some solution, any suggestions are welcome, i beg you, somebody just save me.

Solution
Bad.

The other issue is your motherboard.
If you aren't able to update the bios, you won't be able to use the RX 570.
GTX 700 series is probably as far as it'll go. Many older OEM(this was from a prebuilt, right?) motherboards are bios locked this way.
They won't recognize more modern gpus.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
What's the make and model of the current psu?
If your current psu is also weak, it makes sense that the old card works, but the new one doesn't.
RX 570 uses over 2x as much power than the old HD 6670: 150w vs 66

Also, what's the make and model of the motherboard?

Reactions: auriaska99

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Upgrade your psu to a corsair cx 550 or similar seasonic. Also, put your old gpu back in and download DDU. Run that and erase all gpu drivers from your pc. Once complete, install your rx570 with the latest AMD drivers and enjoy.

auriaska99

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
What's the make and model of the current psu?
If your current psu is also weak, it makes sense that the old card works, but the new one doesn't.
RX 570 uses over 2x as much power than the old HD 6670: 150w vs 66

Also, what's the make and model of the motherboard?
My Current PSU is Xsilence, I'm not sure how bad they are but they shouldn't be that bad its 500w and my old one was 300, while new GPU uses around 80w more i upgraded PSU by 200w
My MB is Foxconn 2ABF, in my opinion, its shady since i wasn't able to access their support website (for drivers) for like month or two now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Bad.

GTX 700 series is probably as far as it'll go. Many older OEM(this was from a prebuilt, right?) motherboards are bios locked this way.

Solution

Baumber

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2012
Bad.

I have never heard of this. My parents have an old dell optiplex 755 from 2007 that has a GTX 950 in it because its original gpu finally failed. Not to mention they are still on windows vista.... His i5 6600 and his motherboard can handle an rx580 or newer gpu just fine.

auriaska99

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014

auriaska99

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
Update, Since new gpu wasnt running į decided to try using old PSU and Fml but this One showed same <Mod Edit> on hwmonitor. God my life sucks, thats likę first thing i bought in two years and not enoigh that i couldnt run it now my PC iš overcharged too...

Last edited by a moderator:
OEM PC with a 2nd gen Intel i model CPU can very easily have issues running a newer video card.
There is also nothing good about the Xsilence brand, those types of brands sell on price and maybe the fact that some look like they should be good. Foxconn isn't exactly known for good quality motherboards for gaming systems, at the least you need to make sure you are on the latest BIOS for your board.

There are not many options here if a newer BIOS does not help, and you are totally sure the card is good. Better quality power supply, but if the issue is the motherboard that won't help. Swap the motherboard for an enthusiast level one form a brand like MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, etc.. for your CPU, but since that is still and older platform, there may be issues with a newer video card. Last option and one that I would take is use the system on your old card, save up enough money to get a system on a newer gen CPU, 4th-6th gen should be cheap enough if you get a used setup and should work with the video card you got. A used PC with an i5 and decent motherboard will probably be about $200 with good parts if you don't care about a drive or video card with it. I would try to get a 6th gen Intel CPU, or one of the newer Ryzen ones. The 1st gen Ryzens have been selling used often since people that buy them love to upgrade often, so you find used stuff on the market more.

auriaska99

Honorable
Apr 1, 2014
OEM PC with a 2nd gen Intel i model CPU can very easily have issues running a newer video card.
There is also nothing good about the Xsilence brand, those types of brands sell on price and maybe the fact that some look like they should be good. Foxconn isn't exactly known for good quality motherboards for gaming systems, at the least you need to make sure you are on the latest BIOS for your board.

There are not many options here if a newer BIOS does not help, and you are totally sure the card is good. Better quality power supply, but if the issue is the motherboard that won't help. Swap the motherboard for an enthusiast level one form a brand like MSI, Gigabyte, Asus, etc.. for your CPU, but since that is still and older platform, there may be issues with a newer video card. Last option and one that I would take is use the system on your old card, save up enough money to get a system on a newer gen CPU, 4th-6th gen should be cheap enough if you get a used setup and should work with the video card you got. A used PC with an i5 and decent motherboard will probably be about $200 with good parts if you don't care about a drive or video card with it. I would try to get a 6th gen Intel CPU, or one of the newer Ryzen ones. The 1st gen Ryzens have been selling used often since people that buy them love to upgrade often, so you find used stuff on the market more.
I changed different Motherboard tried running rx 570 and it wasn't responding again (even tho i knew it works because i tested it on few other "newer" pc's at friends places) Thus i decided to sell it and buy gtx 1050 ti, this time monitor showed initial bios screen (the one before you click del or any key just when pc starts to boot) but it was frozen no key opened bios itself nor windows was booting, i removed card googled for the people with similar issue and it turns out that i needed to update my bios, i tried and now it works fine, i should've tried this before selling rx 570, but its better than having no modern GPU working :))

Thought with my old motherboard i wouldn't have been able to solve this issue because i would had no way to update bios since their website is always down.