Question Upgrading from 2 sticks of memory to 4. PC wont show video

Jan 6, 2020
I built my PC last year with an AMD MSI b450 gaming plus MB https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-GAMING-PLUS/Specification using an amd ryzen 5 2600 and 2 sticks of patriot viper 4gb sticks. I recently needed more than the 8GB memory i had to i bought another 2x4 pack of the exact same memory cards. I now have 4 sticks of 4GB patriot viper memory and when trying to install the new sticks the computer would no longer show video upon boot. The computer turned on and everything moved and lit up as if it was on. I tried messing with cords and monitor on the monitor end with no luck. i then powered off and removed the sticks i had just installed and the computer worked fine again. I then removed original sticks and replaced with a new set i had just got and again everything worked fine. I tried to reinstall all 4 again and the same problem as before with no video output. I then removed slot 1 and 3 sticks and booted the bios and removed all OC i had to ram. Reinstalled cards and then computer would not turn on for more than 10 seconds at a time, never displaying output. Re removed cards in 1 and 3 again and upped voltage to memory and had the same original problem. Switched to setting memory voltage to auto with no avail. I am kinda lost as to what to try next. As per MB manual, it says there should be no problem running 2 channels with 4 sticks of memory and should support up to 64 gb of ram and i am only trying to do 16. Things i am thinking of trying is to enable xmb and reducing my OC on CPU but was looking for other suggestions or comments before i try either because i hate the OC process with trying to find a balance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Please add spacing in between the walls of text to aid in thread/post comprehension.
Lutfij

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Can you pass on a link to both kits of ram? Are they identical?

Jan 6, 2020
Very thoughtful idea to increase memory, however use of exact match, same thing, identical extra memory have no guarantee to be compatible with your existing memory.

Ryzen 5 2600 - AMD - WikiChip
See memory configurations table for officially supported speeds when 4 of 4 memory slots are populated.

So is that saying that it may be my processor not allowing the ram to work? or should i just down clock it to the highest frequency? i know i could just upgrade to 2 sticks of 8gb giving me the same ammount of memory but i just figured it would be a waste of the ram i already had when i built my pc

Jan 6, 2020
Very thoughtful idea to increase memory, however use of exact match, same thing, identical extra memory have no guarantee to be compatible with your existing memory.

Ryzen 5 2600 - AMD - WikiChip
See memory configurations table for officially supported speeds when 4 of 4 memory slots are populated.
Please add spacing in between the walls of text to aid in thread/post comprehension.
Lutfij

List your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Are you on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Can you pass on a link to both kits of ram? Are they identical?

CPU: ryzen 2600
Motherboard: MSI amd b450 gaming plus
Ram: 4 sticks of 4GB Patriot series 3000MHZ
SSD/HDD: 1 250 gb samsung evo SSD and 1tb HDD
GPU: AMD 580 gigabyte
PSU: 750w gigabyte power supply 80 plus gold
Chassis: nzxt 500
Yes Bios is up to date and all memory is the exact same
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0157UPYZ8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 6, 2020
Solved.
Installed just original two sticks, Reset bios to default to undo all over clocking, set memory to highest rated cpu threshold frequency and then install new memory sticks. Booted fine and then reapplied a slight overclock on CPU.